Unlimited access >

We Need Better Gate Latches?!

I use these on my 4’ gates and also on stall doors as a back-up latch to the sliding latches that are on them.

I hate those Sure Latches. If the gate gets a little out of alignment, they’re a pain the patootie to latch and unlatch. On one of them, I have to lift the lever and then kick it open otherwise it sticks. I much prefer the Kiwi latches.

I need better latches too. I am sitting here and there is the pony on my front yard! I have latches that have a chain that fits down in a notch. Red mare is pretty good at rattling the gate and getting the latch out of the notch. This time I neglected to tie a lead rope around the two gates. She got bored and let herself and her friend out to check out the front yard. Next time I will not trust the gate to be foolproof.

I’ve been using the Sure-Latches for over 15 years, I think I have 11-12 right now, and have never had them get out of alignment. I have big, solid gate posts set in concrete with heavy-duty gate hangers on very heavy 12’ gates and they haven’t budged over the years.

1 Like

My homemade gate latch. I needed on that would hold over lapping gates and not allow any gap and be able to open 1 handed.

That happened to one of mine. Gate was open, whole herd was headed through the 12’ or 14’ opening at once, to get from smaller lot to large pasture. Poor mare got shucked to one side and ended up with a long slice along her ribs, flank, and over her hip. Probably 3’ long, luckily most of it was just raw, worst bit was where it crossed her hip. She was extremely sore for several weeks after that though as she hit the post and latch pretty hard.
I do like those latches despite that, when they are installed correctly. But at home I opted to use the Kiwi latches. I have zero complaints as they are easy to use and reliable. Sagging is not an issue either because my fence guy installed gate rests.

1 Like