Unlimited access >

Weird footing at new barn

I had wood chips in my outdoor as a temporary footing. It was only slippery if the base was wet and the chips too thin. Otherwise, I found it to be a nice footing - relatively cushy, and if packed down sufficiently it was hardly disturbed by hooves so didn’t become uneven or lumpy.

1 Like

Hogs Fuel is cool. I live in southwestern Idaho = desert. Most arenas are straight sand although there are a few higher end barns that have synthetic.

Years ago, my friend and I would vacation near Portland and take our horses and take lessons. They had hogs fuel. So nice and springy. My horse had suspension I had never felt before and it was gone as soon as we got back to the dead sand in Boise. Granted, I was only there for a short time but we had no problems with slipping or other footing issues.

Not much useful here, as I was a kid and don’t remember a lot… but there was a “tan bark” arena where I kept my horse as a kid. I don’t recall it being slippery, but I did get dragged once and still recall how excruciating it was to have “tan bark” picked out of my eyes.

1 Like