Unlimited access >

Update - Went for routine blood work, found cancer

My 15 year old cat, Sammy went for his yearly today. He’s hyper t as well.

Vet came out to the car and said he felt a mass so they did x-rays and it’s a tumor near his liver about the size of a tangerine.

He said to love him, spoil him and when he quits eating bring him back. :frowning:

I guess I’ll check around and see if I can someone that does in home euthanasia’s. We are back to not being allowed in the office and I don’t want his last minutes wondering where I am or if I’d abandoned him.

2 Likes

I’m so very sorry. Love your sweet kitty, give him his best last days and know you did everything right and good. My heart goes out to you both.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. I hope you can find a solution for his passing.

I can relate. My JRT went to the vet for a checkup before his dental and was found to be in end-stage renal failure and a few other issues. I tried to get a vet to come to the house for euth, but no one would due to COVID. Instead, they had a grassy area outside of the clinic where we loved on him until he felt comfortable and relaxed, then we called and they came out and did it.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. You might ask your vet if they let people in the office for euthanasia appointments. I think that’s something many are making an exception for. Another option is for them to euthanize him in your car in their parking lot. That’s what I asked them to do for my dog, very shortly before the lockdowns began (mid-February). My old 60lb girl was super weak and I didn’t want to stress her more than necessary. There is also a crematory within a few miles of my house, so I just drove her to the vet, then drove her to the crematory, and all she needed to know was she got to go for a car ride. I had her on blankets in the back hatch area, so we just opened the hatch and they injected her right where she was.

5 Likes

So sorry to hear :frowning_face:

1 Like

Aww, so sorry. I hope you can spend some quality time and spoil him. Hugs to you and your Sammy. :heart:

1 Like

Oh I am so sorry. Poor kitty. I know you will make sure his last days are happy ones. Give him a treat and a kiss for me.

1 Like

So sorry, wishing for the best possible outcome for you and Sammy.

1 Like

Thank you all. He ate good last night and this morning and he laid on my chest last night in his usual spot.

He’s getting lots of hugs and kisses, which he happens to like. Snickers and Jellybean squeal like they’re being mailed if I even try to kiss their chubby cheeks, but Sammy loves them.

He closes his eyes and just wants more. Lol

6 Likes

I just had to put a cat down Friday. He was hyper t as well and it was suspected cancer with him. While the vet was not allowing people in, they did allow us in to put him to sleep, so there’s a decent chance your vet will allow you to do that. They understand how hard it is and that people do want to say goodbye properly.

3 Likes

Oh, I’m so very sorry for you and Sammy. Getting blindsided with a bad diagnosis you’re not expecting is just the worst. I hope you have some more good time with him so you can adjust and come to terms with it a little more.

There have been quite a few sick kitties on this board lately. :cry: I totally understand about having him put to sleep at home. Mine all hate going to the vet. I hope you’ll be able to find someone to do it. Hugs and love to you and Sammy.

1 Like

I am so sorry - it’s never easy to lose them, but to be blindsided with a diagnosis like that - I’d be devastated.

I, too, would ask your vet about allowing you in for euthanasia. Most vets are doing that, I think, even if they’re not letting owners in for regular visits. Otherwise, can your vet arrange to come to your house one evening, or on a weekend?

Give him hugs and kisses and lots of love.

2 Likes

Sending cuddles to Sammy and all the other sick kitties. OP, you are not alone; many of us have been in your very sad situation.

3 Likes

Thank you - no, it’s definitely not an elite club, sadly.

There sure has been a lot of sickness lately, as Ravenclaw said. I hope we get some good news soon about some of them!

1 Like

I’m so sorry about Sammy. What a shock. Maybe the vet will make an exception for euthanasia, but I hope there are many comfortable and purry days left before that.

1 Like

Sammy checking out the back porch.

8 Likes

What a handsome fellow! May you and Sammy’s final journey together be filled with peace, affection, and lovely memories.

Hugs @rubygirl1968 :heartpulse:

2 Likes

He’s a lovely boy. :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

He’s so handsome! He definitely looks like a boy. With some cats, you can’t tell but Sammy looks very masculine. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you all! I tell him all the time he’s the sweetest and most handsome kitty. He usually stretches a paw out in agreement when I do. Lol

Someone found him on the side of the road with a salmon can stuck on his head. We got the can off finally and I just brought him home.

That was when the shelter kept them three days and then put to sleep.

He lived under my bed for about three weeks but once he figured out he was safe he’s been a hoot. He loved Thomas from the get go and I’d find them in a kitty pile quite frequently.

5 Likes