Unlimited access >

Western Dressage vs Cowboy Dressage, a few years in

Totally. As a jumper convert I still prefer a shorter stirrup. Maybe eventually I will want something different but for now, I prefer to be able to get out of the tack. It’s how I balance.

3 Likes

I think you’re exactly right. From what I’ve seen the WDAA is doing exactly dressage with western tack.

1 Like

This type of contact would be incorrect in western dressage. It is extreme. Contact is to be light.

3 Likes

Polos and 2 hands are permitted in WDAA. What you can’t do is switch from 1 hand to 2 or visa versa in the same test.

2 Likes

Rising trot is permitted at certain lower levels to save the horses back. The WDAA is exceedingly horse welfare oriented.

3 Likes

The WDAA World Show is in YouTube and I watched Level 5 tests. Some were gorgeous.

It’s not hard, just an acquired skill set. I used to show AQHA horsemanship back in the day and would maintain light contact in a spade bit.

Do not think that riding with a curb or spade means a straight rein from mouth to hand. The contact can be lighter, the curb chain adjusted. Here is a buckaroo style WDAA Level 4 ride scoring 80 and it looks like the showpen is the Lazy E Arena in Guthrie OK which makes it most probably the World Show. 2 handed on a curb. Note disaster does not occur.

Don’t dressage riders use 2 hands on a curb with a double?

Joanne Williams, Ida Norris, Gail Carmona are all very dressagey people with enormous influence in this discipline.

How do I know? My best friend rides it and I learned it.

2 Likes

That’s a much nicer test than those that I’ve seen. However, in a spade that would muddy the signal. A regular curb would be ok.

Again - not taking away from the test. That was very nicely ridden!!

This is the riding I’ve seen from that show. Gentle, soft. I used to show in a spade. I didn’t move my hand. I thought it. That’s how light you have to be.

3 Likes

ok, so maybe I overreacted.

This riding would qualify as ‘light contact’ with a spade bit.

more “consistent light contact” in a two rein setup

and some good canter work with consistent light contact in a curb, two handed

1 Like

Those don’t appear to be the kind of consistent “light” contact that I see in the WD. If you see, the reins “flop” and swing. There’s a pretty consistent release. I’m not saying they are floppy like you see in the western pleasure ring - that would be useless in any bit, but the whole idea behind even the romel buttons is that they provide weight to the rein for quicker release.

In the WD example, though I wouldn’t classify that as heavy contact, the reins never go slack.

Maybe the issue is the definition of light?

1 Like

I would imagine they would reward greater lightness when and where it presents itself? Maybe?

What I’ve seen elsewhere on the web in the WD Facebook groups is that they require consistent contact with the bit and most of the judges are “regular” dressage judges so they would be used to more consistent contact.

Consistent contact, whether light medium or heavy, is antithetical to the use of a signal bit. The idea with a signal bit (or the use of a bit as signal, to be pedantic) is that when you touch it, the horse responds, and then does as asked. You release immediately to let them know they are doing the right thing.

If you were to continue to signal and not ever release you wouldn’t be appropriately riding in the two rein (and not just that, your horse might decide to eject you stage left if you’ve been training them in this manner). Even the bosal button is there to provide counterweight so that when you’ve picked up on it and the horse responds, the weight drops to make that release faster than the human hand can do alone. That’s why a cheap bosal or an unshaped bosal is “wrong” - it won’t release correctly or will provide too much noise on the face.

I think Brannaman’s rides would fit very nicely with CD. Depending on the judge (if BB was not BB) I think he might be penalized in WD for the inconsistent contact. Again, based on what I’ve seen. If anyone judges WD, I’d love to be wrong!

6 Likes

That first video looks more like a trail class to me than dressage.

1 Like

It’s one “phase” of the CD tests. :slight_smile: They have a few. Kind of like 3 day eventing, but without terror.

6 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile: :joy:

1 Like

Real cowboys post😊

4 Likes

I’m just going to point out that you’re not required to show western dressage in a curb. You can go all the way to level 5, the current highest level in a snaffle…

2 Likes

Oh yes - that’s absolutely true - and I probably should have acknowledged that. I did like that aspect of WD.

1 Like

My BO is also a trainer and a judge and just dropped the western dressage bug in my ear over the weekend for this reason from @Djones above…as well as it is also allowed to use voice commands. My fjord is so responsive to voice commands also being a driving horse, that it killed me in our first schooling show to not be able to talk to him. I didnt realize it wasn’t allowed and got a warning on my first test LOL.

Working Equitation is really where my interest is, but we can do that in any tack. I’ve been thinking about getting a new dressage saddle and am glad I have held off as I might be looking for new western gear.

What is a typical western saddle used for western dressage? I’ve been looking online but it’s not completely spelled out.

3 Likes

It is currently a bit up in the air, believe it or not. To be safe, get something with a horn and skirts, though rounded is fine, and make sure it has normal western rigging. There is some measure of debate about pushing back on the likes of the western saddles made by DP Saddlery, which have billets and no skirts.

2 Likes