western helmet question

There’s some really cool looking helmets out there now. How can we get Western trainers to start wearing them? Of the TV western trainers, Julie Goodnight is the only one I can think of (and Troxel is one of her sponsors). Chris Cox has his kids wear them but doesn’t wear them himself. These big names (especially on TV) need to set an example for the western kids out there. Is it the Linda Parelli mentality? “Our horses are so well trained that we don’t need them”.

Hey, I grew up starting with western then saddle seat. We didn’t wear helmets (back in the dark ages) but with all the new research about the effect of even one concussion I can’t believe western riders still don’t encourage the use of them. Especially for children. Even in dressage the top hat is on the way out. It just takes getting used to the look and the feel. Like wearing riding gloves or seat belts. You soon feel naked without them.

Forgive any mistakes. I’ve had my own number of concussions.

The school that started western in our IHSA region had strict helmet rules in place for their (long-established) hunt seat team, and the school legal types were not willing to compromise for the traditional western attire. So, we had always required helmets at the western shows. It got to where we were so used to seeing western riders with helmets that traditional hats started to look different. The year that one of my riders made it to nationals, there were students showing in helmets (and placing well). No big deal.

Cowboy hats had a specific purpose, but they also date back to a time when human workers were considered expendable. People in this country are so appalled by the garment factory tragedies in Bangladesh, but people forget that this county went through the same thing (as does any economically evolving culture)–treating low-end workers as expendable, not putting thought or money into their safety, and having significant losses as a result (Hello? Slavery, anyone?). Cultures have to learn to respect human life and dignity–a simple fact of cultural/societal evolution. Not that different than the evolution of our treatment of animals, for that matter.

So, now we’re at the point where we understand the concept of safety and respect for human life (and perhaps we’ve even gone overboard in allowing the legal industry to get a bit out of hand with it, but that’s another discussion). Part of that evolution is accepting that if we are concerned for safety, then old-fashioned, historically-based styles may just have to change in favor of respecting safety in the athletic endeavor that horse activities have become.

If you want to wear a helmet, wear a helmet. If someone is going to pass judgment against you for wearing a protective helmet, do you really respect their opinion anyway? If a ribbon or an outdated historical tradition is more important to you than your safety, then Darwin will take care of you :wink: .

Every ride, every time.

Cowboy hats had a specific purpose, but they also date back to a time when human workers were considered expendable. People . . . forget that this country [once] treat[ed] low-end workers as expendable, not putting thought or money into their safety, and [had] significant losses as a result.

So, now we’re at the point where we understand the concept of safety and respect for human life . . … Part of that evolution is accepting that if we are concerned for safety, then old-fashioned, historically-based styles may just have to change in favor of respecting safety in the athletic endeavor that horse activities have become.

I’d never really thought of it that way, monstrpony, but that makes a lot of sense. Good analysis. :slight_smile:

Is {their} CRAP There there there there any western discipline where and adult would be penalised for choosing to wear a helmet

[QUOTE=KBC;7355628]
Is {their} CRAP There there there there any western discipline where and adult would be penalised for choosing to wear a helmet[/QUOTE]

Technically, no. But then, western pleasure horses aren’t supposed to carry their ears below their withers, either ;).

Seriously, I think there are many more judges than people believe who would not bat an eye if someone chose to ride at a western (AQHA type) show wearing a helmet. It’s like the hunt seat riders believing that the brand of helmet (or boots, or breeches) matters. Granted, it’s a little more obvious, replacing a cowboy hat with a helmet. And, granted, there are judges who would not be able to keep it out of the equation.

I believe the wording in the rules is a bit cumbersome–on the one hand, it says a hat is part of required attire, but then somewhere else in fine print it says that a helmet is always a permitted substitute.