Unlimited access >

western saddle for tb

Oh, (here I go again…) and the older saddles have real wood, rawhide wrapped trees. And any good saddlemaker, or local Amish leatherworker, should be able to make the saddle seaworthy as long as the tree is not broken.

Mine (a regular Arab tree Sahara - not a flex tree) fits TB types very well, especially with the ricotti pad. I only recommend the OP try one (or another good quality used Arab tree trail saddle) as they can be bought rather inexpensively and are really great saddles. Mine was nearly new and $700 with the $200 pad included.

http://www.ricottisaddle.com/saddle_pad.htm

1 Like

I’ll second the circle Y arab saddle as that is what fit the Ottb shark I had for a while. If possible find a circa 1980 circle Y barrel saddle as those had a thinner tree all the way down. Would even better if you can find one with a square skirt instead of the round skirt as those tend to fit better.

Coyoteco, which state are you in for XP? I do it in Utah.

As for saddle, I had a semi-qh Tex Tan that fit my OTTB (16.2 h) and a warmblood, but not my current appendix- too tight at base of withers for him. Circle Y ‘might’ be worth a try. Their serial numbers give tree sizes which is helpful.

But if you are just looking for one for the one run a year, probably better off just shopping around for a used saddle- looking for one advertised as semi-qh and just trying it on.

Both of my daughters ride a client’s TBs in western saddles ocassionally. One uses her Circle Y and the other uses her Tex Tan. Both are semi-QH bars and fit 2 totally different body typed horses quite well. The Circle Y is used on a shorter (15.2ish), stockier horse. The Tex Tan fits a 17.2, leaner type.

[QUOTE=Beverley;5295990]
Coyoteco, which state are you in for XP? I do it in Utah.

As for saddle, I had a semi-qh Tex Tan that fit my OTTB (16.2 h) and a warmblood, but not my current appendix- too tight at base of withers for him. Circle Y ‘might’ be worth a try. Their serial numbers give tree sizes which is helpful.

But if you are just looking for one for the one run a year, probably better off just shopping around for a used saddle- looking for one advertised as semi-qh and just trying it on.[/QUOTE]

Beverly, I’m in Colorado. I am not a member of any group. I just know of one, and would like to see if they accept new people. Do you think it will be hard to join one of these groups. My kids’ oral surgeon does this and I had never heard of it until he told me about it. I think it sounds like a really fun thing to do.

It is a VERY fun thing to do- go to www.xphomestation.com and you can see pictures from this year’s ride- the web site also has 2011 officers posted so you can contact the Colorado head. Very easy to join, here in Utah in addition to the re-ride, we do parades and assorted public appearances plus will visit schools for a little ‘living history’ if asked, and also do things like deliver mail to kids in hospitals.

Re-ride dates for 2011 are June 8 to 18 and we’re going east to west this year.

Thanks for the information. I was really intrigued when he mentioned it. His office is cool, too, with all kinds of western memorobilia.
I’ll check out the website. I don’t think that’s the site I went to before.

I have a western saddle made by DK Saddlery. It is fully adjustable by the owner and has air panels. It can fit your thoroughbred today and a draft tomorrow.

Check out his website to see it www.dksaddlery.com

I don’t have a need for it anymore if you are interested in buying one.

That’s a very nice saddle, and it’s very interesting how the tree changes.

Do you know the name of her company? Very interested in an Australian saddle and I’m in AZ. Thanks!

Wintec westerns aren’t junk. If they fit they are wonderful invincible saddles. Mine is 20 years old. I bought one for my Appendix mare with shark fin withers 20 years ago.

It really depends on the horse and their conformation.

1 Like

I agree with looking at older (or very old) saddles. I have no idea of the brand of my saddle, it was old and cheap off eBay and I had an Amish saddler completely replace the leather, but it fits my TBs really well. I have ridden for hours without an issue. Solid wood and rawhide tree that weighs a ton, but very comfortable

11 year old zombie thread :wink:

1 Like

Since this thread has been resurrected, I’ll add my 2 cents since I just went through the search.

My TB has moderate withers and fairly flat but very short back so perhaps not a “stereotypical tb”. He has never had much opinion on saddles until I tried on a Circle Y trail - he was very clear he HATED it from the first moment i put it on him.
Just tail wringing and unhappy. It was the first western saddle I tried on him so I wasn’t sure if it was the weight distribution that bothered him. (Even though it had cordura fenders so was fairly light, and fairly short.) But my western trainer threw a heavy, square skirt roping-type saddle and he was totally fine with it. Oh back cinch never bothered him either.

I tried several TW Saddlery demos and he was fine with all of them, so I ended up ordering a TW Ranch Versatility which I am still waiting to get but very hopeful! This saddle is all leather but “only” 22 pounds. I got a round, butterfly skirt for his short back. I found all the TWs I sat in to be comfortable, and I’m very excited to receive mine!

I took my TB down to a saddle shop for a fit and to possibly buy about 2 years ago. Shop owner rooted around and came up with an old Crates with an A fork that fits him like a glove. The fork shape gave him plenty of wither clearance without the need of a pommel or built up pad. Love this saddle even though it’s a little heavier than what I was looking for; hefting it up on a 16 hand TB takes a bit of an effort. Spud likes it so I’ll deal with the weight. You might want to look for an A fork or slick fork for your horse.

Crates saddles are wonderful!