Unlimited access >

What are the favored saddle brands now?

Yes, the price is good, but did you see the shipping cost? $230! Nuts.

1 Like

i had a bunch of tartan blankets from scotland sent over and they cost as much to ship as they did to buy!! overseas is expensive when the shipper will only ship air. IF you can convince them to ship cargo (over water) well…significant savings! But, that does limit the shipper a good deal as they usually don’t get notices they can rely upon if buyer falsely claims no receipt.

Normal shipping charges for saddles are $50-$60. I’ve bought and sold quite a few. What the seller is doing is kind of a bait and switch. The price is good, but not that good, and they are gouging for shipping.

Not true. Shipping costs have more than doubled. I used to spend $25 to ship a saddle FedEx ground within California. Last time I bought a saddle, in late 2019, it was $100. NorCal to So Cal.

But even adding $230 plus tax to that saddle, it’s a bargain.

It’s still $50-$60 around here. Shipped at least 7 saddles in the last year and none were more than $60 and some traveled the entire coast.

It’s easy enough to contact the seller and inquire about the shipping costs. There could be a mistake in how it was listed that’s causing eBay to estimate it like that.

I once bought saddle from a seller in California who overestimated the shipping, so she threw a $20 bill in the box. It fell on the floor when I opened the box and my dog ate it.:woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

For my zip it is $450! They selected Expedited Shipping so that is probably why. I think when you list sale items on Ebay you have to carefully watch the shipping method, it can be confusing and easy to pick the wrong selection.

I paid around $70 about a year ago. Florida to the west coast.

The favored saddle brand is the one that best fits your horse. It’s really down to the shape of your horse’s back, any special requirements that need to be addressed, like straight or curved back etc. In my horse’s case it’s a CWD. Bought used and happy to have it. I love the fit for me and my horse.

I recently shipped a saddle UPS insured and the cost was $160, the cheapest rate they offered. About double what it used to be but not surprising.

1 Like

I did a quick check on shipping rates on Ebay. Some were as low as $35-$50, going up to $200. Skyland Saddlery does a lot of saddle resale and they ship for $59. I still think $230 is up there in cost.

It really depends on insurance. Shipping has at least doubled if not tripled in the last 6 months. The lower rates are probably places that have a pre negotiate rate and/or making cost up in a different way. For me it use to be 25 to 30 for a saddle 2 hours away. Now it is 60ish. It is a lot more the further it goes.

If you want to be a comprehensive saddle shopper, Google saddle makers in Walsall, England. Many popular brands are made there and, some companies, like Ryder, make saddles for others. As I mentioned, I bought my Lemke saddle in England. The flap said Lemke, but the buttons had the Ryder logo. I paid much, much less and shipping was reasonable at that time.

1 Like

You are probably right as the cost of everything has gone up. Insurance is a good idea with the uncertainty of shipping these days.

I have really enjoyed my Trilogy and Hennig saddles. I don’t fit right in the French saddles or Customs. Your best bet is to sit in as much as possible and decide what you like, then work with a saddle fitter who can evaluate your horse and tell you where you and your horse can meet in the middle.

1 Like

I had an Icon Flight and now have a Gemini R, but the first Custom I sat in was an Icon Star and found that saddle to be one of the most uncomfortable saddles I’ve ever sat in. I was immediately like, “Nope! Next!” That seat just killed me, especially my lower back.

Same for me with the Star! I love my Gemini R, and it’s the only model I tried which allowed me enough movement to ride my big mover. I had been riding her in slick nothing saddles which were too wide twist and hurt because they allowed me to move with her.

1 Like

Well, I have a County Epiphany and a Hennig MFT coming to trial. I wasn’t going to do another Hennig, but I love them. Hopefully, one of them will fit, but if not–I’ll try some of the suggestions here…Thank you for so many suggestions! You also helped me to find some places to look for used saddles (don’t want to wait for a new one).

IMO there’s no point asking what is everyone’s favourite brands, as all horses, riders and budgets are different. Those are the three factors in a successful saddle fit. It must fit you, your horse, and your budget. What your bestie might rave about may not fit your horse, or rubs you in all the wrong places, and vice versa.

6 Likes

For me it WAS useful. I appreciated the advice I got about what might be similar to the saddle I have enjoyed riding in, and I also got to hear about brands I hadn’t considered that others love and what features they like. Sure, I have to find a saddle that fits my horse and me, but I like hearing what people are liking riding in since I haven’t had to buy a new saddle in a while. Plus I live in an area without a lot of choice of saddles or independent fitters, so I’d be shipping in saddles to try and shipping them out to be worked on (I have had success with long distance fitting), so information is golden.

2 Likes

With shipping (RT for both saddles, insured) and a restocking fee on one if I return it, it will cost me $650 just to trial two saddles that I don’t even know will fit!

1 Like