Unlimited access >

What barn would you choose…

Another vote for barn 1. My current barn has 10x10 stalls, which is smaller than I prefer, but the horses are usually turned out for 15-16 hours of the day. My horse is… pony-sized, but the rest of the barn is all 15.2+ hh. Having come from the land of 0 hours of turnout, I would want one with the most possible.

The second option only seems to have two pros (closer to you and a slightly bigger stall). It costs more than the first option, feeds worse hay, has iffy grass turnouts, and has minimal turnout.

The third option is also a no. It costs the most, is the furthest away, and seems to feed the least. I’d be concerned as to WHY the barn constantly switches hay (Is someone not keeping inventory and they ran out? Can they not get a steady supply of hay?). I’ve boarded somewhere where dinner was fed at 4:30-5 and most horses were usually done with their dinner by 8 pm, if not earlier. Breakfast wasn’t thrown until 7 am. Many boarders came and did a post-dinner feeding and/or used nets to make the hay stretch longer. I assume that horses aren’t turned out at night so they’d just be inside without food?

2 Likes

Barn near me has been saying they’ll make new paddocks for the 15 years I’ve lived here.
Same paddocks, all trashed mud pits now, none new
People have grand plans, but low drive to get things done.

4 Likes

Or low finances.

12 Likes

My current barn is the only barn I know of that has/is doing the renovations they talked about, but it is also “new”. The current owners took over the place ~2 years ago and had to gut most of the barn. They finished about half of the large projects (refurbished stalls with mats, brand new indoor, viewing room, cross ties, etc.) then paused for awhile. They’re just now getting to the second half (brand new outdoor, refurbishing client tack room, laundry room, bathroom) because it is such a big outlay of money. Conversely, another barn I boarded at tok away amenities and had to be hounded to fix the fencing every week. It was falling down one board at a time, which they’d then replace one board at a time. The trainers got sick of this and complained. The entire thing had to be replaced (and was).

For boarding barns that don’t have deep pockets, especially ones that have been around awhile, there just isn’t often the extra cash to upgrade (or fix) things. Boarding makes so little money that there just isn’t the profit to sink back into it, especially if finances have taken a turn for the worst.

2 Likes

If the amount of turn out is as they state it is, and there are not endless days with no turnout because of weather, I think there is no question here that barn #1 is the only choice.

Before moving there ask about your idea of doing something to the footing in your horse’s turn out so they can get out more.

3 Likes

AMEN to this! Do not believe a single promise. Been there. Done that. Still living that. I was told all these things at my current barn that never ever happened. Some of which are denied now. At my previous barn I was told they were going to fence in this big grass area for another turnout option. I left 12 years later - it’s still not a turnout.

4 Likes

Another vote for 1. A smaller stall is a decent trade off for the other positives. Does the “aisle drop down” mean it’s one of those doors where they can stick their head out? That definitely improves things.

1 Like

If your horse is not used to 2-5 hours of turn out only, I would not go for this. I moved to a barn where we had VERY different ideas on appropriate turnout and my horse went absolutely bonkers. Then when she was turned out she would injure herself frequently from running around like a mad woman.

As long as your horse is an easy keeper I wouldnt worry too much about the field quality. Even if it is very weedy they will spend the time nibbling through things.

I would say option 1 unless it would be an option for you to turn out on your own for option 2? If that’s feasible then I’d say consider 2 if that’s your major drawback.

My current barn has 10x10 stalls, and my horse is about 17h. He is shorter coupled than yours from the sound of it, but the stall is more than big enough and has never been a concern of mine. I’m another vote for barn #1.

2 Likes

This. I have a horse that did not adapt to limited turnout both in time and space, and this is a born broke, super-glued-to-my-apron-strings horse. It’s one of the factors that led me to ship my horses 2,000 miles away.

I also have also boarded with a several 18hh+, solidly built horses that managed in 10x10 and 12x12 stalls seemingly fine.

1 Like

#1 Quality of life for your horse. He will be OK in a 10x10 stall.

Another vote for barn #1 - more turnout/quieter by the sound of it, more affordable, and not super far.