Unlimited access >

What colors do we like on different colors of horses? (the thread where we show off our pretty horses in their pretty clothes)

Oh, what options you have! If your saddle is light colored you have so SOOOO many options in western pads.

IMO, this guy can pull off burgandies, royal blues, forest greens, teals even plums. He has sort of a neutral “brown” color that can carry many colors and patterns. What a terrible problem to have. I honestly think your guy can pull off any of the deeper or even lighter colors given your light saddle, As a dressage rider, I’m pretty envious of the really pretty saddle pads of Western Riders. There’s no Dressage pad with that design or color distribution that I know of, Sigh, I think the white really brings out his “bling” and is so nicely juxtaposed to darker colors that don’t break up his body at all. This horse could pull so much off in terms of pad colors and designs.

1 Like

Thanks!!! I have no idea about distance horses and really appreciate your reply!! I live in the south and the one horse I know that does distance is also shod. It seems slippery on the photo of your grey but I 100% don’t know what I’m talking about. This is the photo where my horse would say “where is the airlift back to the barn” and “Arena work is so much preferred”. But that’s my horse.

Real question from a know-nothing: Do you find that shoes make your horse more prone to slipping in terrain but better for the hoof? Less slipping? Do you ever use studs for a ride or is that too much grip? I honestly don’t know and would appreciate an experienced person’s answer. I just wonder alot. Seriously, I know nothing about your sport and am asking questions to try to learn a bit.

Thank you so much for indulging me. I love your pictures! Like I said, my Westfalen would be calling for an airlift where your grey’s picture was taken. And scheduling dinner and a massage. He’d have died young if born to a mustang mare.

Thank you for the information!

@J-Lu I’m not an expert in distance riding but I did a lot of treks, usually 2 week long, on various terrain. My sister made sure all of her horses were shod with Titanium studs (she calls them “points”), but that was mostly for riding on paved and slippery mountain roads.
Her chestnut gelding I was riding that year, with white and brown western pad under all the “stuff” lol

5 Likes

@Scribbler Lemieux has a lovely moss green saddle pad. I recently bought one for my chestnut and it looks great. French blue is also a good color for orange-red horses.

1 Like

Just saw on FB today a friend of mine shared a horsewoman-owned small business in Kenya that makes beautiful colorful English saddle pads. https://www.instagram.com/farasiapparel2020/?hl=en

My friend said the quality is good, though obviously the shipping is not super fast. Just thought I’d share!

2 Likes

This topic is great! I settled on black for Charlie being a fjord when I was first getting gear for him; however, I have been trying to decide on a color for us. That moss green is really pretty. I also think the champagne color might be really sharp on him too!

What a handsome fella! I would like him in a blue. Blue with a hint a little tinge of purple to it.

I like greens on chestnuts.

i have a sorrel mustang who is too old to break to ride, but i’d put him in a moss rather than true green. I need to get him a nice halter, and will go for that color.

I like blues (and a same-degree of red toned leather) on a bay. I have several bay horses, and i choose blue for all of them. One of my bay horses is mahogany and i like him in navy. Most are toward a redgold hue of brown.

I have two bay roans. The older gelding looks actually pink in his summer coat…but he’s sooo male that i couldn’t even go pink piping LOL. Other bay roan is a filly-turning mare and she has a bald face (which i think is kinda ugly) and stockings. Her fiery temper is shrieking red to me…

Blue roan mare …IF i ever train her to saddle (dunno know about that, she wasn’t captured til she was 12 but her MOVES!!! omg…) Have zero idea what color she would do best in. Cause it’s not just how the color looks with their coat, it’s also how it goes with their personality.

My buckskin goes nicely in turquoise…and earthtones.

My pale palomino looks good in gray. I LOVE her in gray actually. Strange but black is just ‘wrong’ and brown is too. Other palomino is a shiny bright (akhal tekke) and black looks great on him.

The hardest to matchUp is a varnish appy. Big and bold horse, and burgundy leather is his color.

A black horse can wear any color. One of my two blacks is named Warlock, he is a seal blue in the summer. He will wear black/red/purple as his name suggests.

I have an old white gray Arabian. Strangely enough, she seems best in a mauve.

1 Like

@beau159 I’m in awe! You go, girl, and keep looking fabulous!

I love all these photos. It’s kinda fun to chat about something fairly innocuous for a change, like finding pretty colors for our pretty horses. Since like many of you, I don’t have kids/grandkids to dress, so I might as well have fun buying clothes for my horses. :smile:

5 Likes

@Paint_Party your new horse is a hunk. Meow! Could he have had a recent body clip in the pics ? In my experience that can mute a bay to a slightly grayish color. And if he was purple he’d still be drop dead gorgeous.

1 Like

@Paint_Party - he is gorgeous :heart_eyes:

For hunters I would stay classic black - never goes out of style.
Western - I think your instincts are good. Don’t go too crazy with bling, etc. It’s too faddish. Grey pants white shirt. Or try one of the palettes @Xanthoria showed. The teal would be smashing on him.

1 Like

Really? Really? You had to post this to what some would call a saddle pad horder? sigh

2 Likes

:rofl::imp:

Oh, believe me, I am the Queen of Body Clipping! :laughing: But that’s just his coat. And he does have a hunky butt and a face you just wanna squish.

2 Likes

My chestnut/white pinto pony looks great in a smokey blue color; it matches my helmet, favorite breeches and my Roeckl gloves. But I found a lavender Le Mieux pad that I fell in love with. It makes a nice contrast with my brown tack (but I’d really really love an Ice Blue Le Mieux pad just to be matchy-matchy). My pony is very cute and he looks a bit like a little girl’s pony with the lavender but he’s hunky and can pull off wearing that color.

For years I only bought green in anything, so at one time we could be wearing 7-8 different shades of green. Had a brief purple phase, then navy. All of which go great with most horse colors. And are easy to find.

Okay, so I just clicked on that link (because, you know, I need another saddle pad, not).

Those pads are beautiful. Really. But when I click on the website link within Instagram, it doesn’t take me anywhere. Maybe I should see this as a sign from the gods that, no, I don’t need another saddle pad. But now of course, I’m curious and want to see more, more!

3 Likes

I asked my friend and she said she messaged them through Instagram to order

1 Like

I love this sage green and can’t wait to try it on my gorgeous new chestnut one day:

12 Likes

Lovely horses and the riders have big smiles. Are those Shagyas?

That sage has almost a teal look to it. It’s beautiful. And I would have never thought of that color for that super dark bay horse. It would indeed look awesome on a chestnut, too.

I love orange for XC. It’s easy to be seen and it’s not a very popular color…yet!

(Please ignore bad rider form!)

2 Likes