Unlimited access >

What do you consider a "broke" horse and what would you expect to pay for one?

I like my horse but she would not be everyone’s cup of tea. She’s an OTTB. Very level headed. She doesn’t mind bicycles, motorcycles, trains, the majority of obstacles at trail trials. She has been in parades (with the marching band right behind her). She was calm when helicopters and drones were flying overhead. She will go belly deep into the ocean and navigate narrow mountain trails. Excellent ground manners, trailers, ties 95% of the time no problem. No issue crossing bridges, water, or navigating trail obstacles (either by jumping or walking through). Will go forward, sideways, and backwards. Can pivot on front or hind legs.

However… She hates to be in the back of a group and will jig (but fine if she can be in front)
She will walk on a loose rein but if I didn’t have contact at a trot would likely want to run. She loves to GALLOP and sometimes we have “discussions” about it. 5% of the time she doesn’t comply with being tied. I tie her with baling twine and she’s usually fine. Has been high lined no issue. She’s priceless to me and not for sale.

7 Likes

Nice horses are very hard to come by today at a reasonable price. If you want sound, pretty, good conformation, balance, temperament and broke it is going to cost alot more than it used to. I looked forever and ended up spending alot more than planned. But, I also want to do some dressage with the horse so I needed decent gaits.

2 Likes

Horse on fb today. grade 10 year old mare, no special skills, conformation so-so, obese, can go down a trail, and collects nicely through her poll whatever that means :thinking: Low 5 figures. This is a horse that 5 years ago would be going for $3K or less.

6 Likes

My amazing trail/endurance horse passed unexpectedly last year and I started horse shopping about 6 months later. Sticker shock for sure! I’m sure I’m in a higher-priced area (Northern California in a trail heaven location!) But a horse like the OP described I’d classify as finished and easily bring 12k. I found a what I’d call green broke (been on trails, good in arena, smart, needs miles, potential for endurance) for 8k, and they’re selling like hotcakes around here.

What people are willing to pay is always so personal. I didn’t want to start a baby or greener horse (I don’t have the skill set) but if you can, or can dig through to find the diamonds, good for you! I bought through a trusted local trainer and am progressing with my new horse, but now know even more my old horse was priceless to me and would have been quite high priced in this market.

4 Likes

You can see my post above from over a year ago about university bred and started horses. But, even they have become much more expensive.

I have one horse, who fully retired last year, and am currently riding a 16 year old. I like to keep 2 riding horses, to avoid not having something to ride if there is an issue, and have been in the market for awhile after having a purchase not work out.

The horse that did not work out was purchased on the recommendation of a trainer I had a 20 year relationship with. The horse did not have the experience I was told it had, which resulted in a major wreck, as in being life flighted out with serious injuries.

In the meantime, prices skyrocketed everywhere. No matter where you look- online, though a trainer, through a university, auctions- prices went nuts!

I started watching online ads, and decided my solution was a young horse. I have the space and wherewithal to keep them, and let them mature.

So that is what I did. Found a 2 year old, coming 3, who was basically unhandled. I had to teach him to even lead. He has good conformation, was going to be the right height and build for my discipline, and best of all was only $1000.

Bought him in February 2021, did all his vet work and farrier work, let him sit and grow until this March when he went to my very trusted trainer at $900 per month for 3 months.

I am absolutely in love with this horse’s attitude, the way he learns and his willingness to work. He has been excellent for the trainer, and I have had offers from people to buy him who have seen him at the trainer’s.

So except for the “carrying” costs of vet, farrier, feed, hay and incidentals, I am only into this horse for $3700. I could sell him tomorrow for 3-4 times that all day long.

I like this horse so much, I went to the owner’s of his father in March, and bought a yearling half brother. I saw an ad for the stallion, saying his babies were born broke and that darn quiet. Baby #2 has proven that.

Again, another $1000 horse. I will end up feeding and maintaining this one an extra year, but at least I know what I have. I know how they have been handled, how they react to things, and what has been done with them.

No regrets about either!

8 Likes