Unlimited access >

What do you keep in your horse trailer?

Your tow vehicle should already have a jack stowed somewhere in it. Find out where. Also, learn how to change a tire. It’s actually pretty simple, and will save you tons of time vs. waiting on someone to come to your rescue.

1 Like

I think the trailer aid should be sufficient to change a tire on the trailer. Double check that the lug wrench fits your trailer bolts AND that you can get the spare tire off with it :slight_smile:

As Mango said, your tow vehicle should have it’s own set of tools to change the tire - check that you know where they are and how to use them :slight_smile:

1 Like

we have some light sticks that can be used IF there is a problem where being seen is needed, never needed them other than to attach to horse when moving on a public street at night

https://cpr-savers.com/12-Hour-Emergency-Bright-Stick_p_10555.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVEV9Z5H-vkxhC7fKTWfThkC3NaSJfLljFBci5dv-aAe-KR330cmO90aAs5TEALw_wcB

All the usual horse stuff, and…A fire extinguisher in working order and a pick axe. I travel winter roads all the time so on the featherlite bumper pull, it always gas sway bars. I hit black ice a few years ago, on a major highway. I did end up in the ditch, without the sway bars it would have been a jack-knife in the middle of the traffic.

3 Likes

Good point about a fire extinguisher @Flypony.

I have one of those too.

1 Like

The fire extinguisher is a great idea!

I had US Rider for a while but their service kinda slipped a few years ago. Now I just use my USAA insurance, knowing that they won’t pick up a trailer with horses in it. For flat tires I can deal with myself I have a Trailer Aid.

I have a 2+1 so I have A LOT of stuff in my trailer! In the +1 I have extra buckets (big and small), my little rolling muck tub, pitchfork, broom, bath/liniment stuff, a feed tub, some dog bowls, and a couple of extra nets for tying the horses outside (my trailer has hay mangers, so I don’t use nets when we are traveling). I also have several tall buckets from lowes with snap on covers that I use to bring water with when traveling.

In the dressing room I have show bridles, show halters, and extra leads. I also have stall chains, several folding chairs, a folding saddle rack, a step stool, a small bin for trash and one for recycling, my Orca cooler, and a small trunk. I have a larger trunk for away shows that is in an extra stall (also where I keep my western alfalfa) at the barn, but my little one is fine for one-day shows or other quick adventures. It has my show helmet, gloves, hairnets, pins, etc. as well as horse boots (I do jumpers), brushes, snot rags, and so on.

In my gooseneck I have everything from my show pads to blankets, sheets, and coolers, first aid kits, small fans, shipping wraps, standing wraps, a folding camp table, a fleece blanket for me, a bin with plates cups, silverware, napkins, corkscrew, etc., extra helmet, whips, my show boots, a small tub for treats, etc. etc. etc. I have everything I might need neatly stacked or in labeled bins.

The only thing I need to add when I go to away shows is switch out my small trunk for my bigger one, bring feed and hay, my show clothes, and that is it. I love it! The only things I am thinking of adding are a hanging rail for my clothes, a water tank under the gooseneck, and stall fans connected to the electric.

A Jiffy Jack is like a Trailer Aid. You don’t have to unload the horses if you have a flat in the trailer. I’ve used mine several times, unfortunately.

1 Like

Not to sound like a one-upper, but not a bad idea to keep one in the tack room, and one in the truck (I keep it under the rear seats). Regardless of where the fire is, I want one close at hand.

How many things!! Of course, it is very difficult for me to imagine how you put all this and store 0_o

The jack you need for your trailer is the kind that is referenced by the link. It used to be called a Jiffy Jack, is made of steel and I have used it to change a flat on a 4 horse trailer, with horses inside. It lives in my trailer.

I have a 3 horse gooseneck with no living quarters but large front tack and a rear tack. In the rear tack I have my western saddle and pads, my husband’s saddle and pad and keep hay bags and feed pans here too.

Front tack has helmets, extra bits, show trunk, spare bridles, western bridles and breastcollars, extra halter and lead, sleeping bag, air mattress, small lantern, battery operated lamp, buckets - wash with shampoo and scrubbers, and water. broom, horse boots, in a big shopping bag, grooming kit, Jiffy Jack and star wrench, pillow, saddle pads, roll up table, lawn chair, and outdoor mat for camping. Lot of other miscellaneous stuff.

1 Like

Well, I have a deep, abiding love for organizing, which manifests itself in my trailer into many, many labeled bins with lids on them. :laughing: It sounds a bit much, but I can get in there and put my hand on just about anything right away.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I have a trailer-aid in it, in case of a flat. What I need and don’t have is a fire extinguisher and some flares.

I have my trailer insured as a separate entity through my insurance, so yes it has its own roadside and also its theft coverage. Let’s face it, if someone broke into my tack room and stole stuff, I’d be out a heckuva lot more than if they broke into my truck and took every single thing inside including the old fries under the seats…

Nope.

Hm I might need to get a fire extinguisher now!

Here’s what I keep on board:
Lug wrench
Trailer Aid
Hammer, knife, pliers
Safety triangle
Cone
Baling twine
Rope
Grooming kit
Halter
Lunge line
Hay bag
Muck tub (rolling)
Muck fork
Step stool
Buckets
Hook over feeder
Bucket straps
Spare reins, flash strap, neck strap, girth
Whips
Show pads and boots
Show jackets
Body protector
Dress boots
Eventing watch
Mattress pads, sleeping bags
Shade structure, poles, guy lines
Gas stove
Cooler
Dishes, silverware, plastic cups, utensils
Folding table
Folding chairs
Solar phone charger
Head lamp
Clip on iPad holder
Folding cart for unloading at shows
First aid kit
12V compressor
12v kettle
Small dustpan and brush

Yes, Baling twine. It’s indispensable, I keep a supply in my trailer at the ready.