Unlimited access >

What do you like to see in a sale ad?

I’ve been quietly on the hunt for a yearling and so. many. ads. are some lovely photos, but no video. At this point, I just assume anything without a video included in the initial ad is a crappy mover and the seller is hoping someone will fall in love with how “pretty” the horse is in a still shot.

Anything you’re not transparent about in the initial ad, I assume you’re trying to pull one over on me. Location, rough price, experience, photos, video.

I want a video of the horse in a round pen, or structured pen of some sort. I actually don’t like them on the line as I feel like yearlings who quietly go around on a line are more often than not overworked already. I’ve seen a few where they’re galloping around, tails over their backs a la pepi le pew through knee high grass… tells me the seller is intentionally misleading me, or they’re an idiot and it’s just not worth my hassle.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, there are always more horses to buy. Most people know of several “unicorns”. At this point in my life, I don’t spend time searching for a needle in a haystack hoping that I’ll be the one to discover the next superstar as it prances through a marsh. Give me a clean, straightforward ad and we’ll talk - otherwise, there are plenty more fish in the sea… or horses in the pasture, as it were.

1 Like

Horses information and sellers contact info at the beginning and end of video

A riding/driving/movement video and a secondary manners video for tacking up/trailer loading etc. I hate watching all those things for several minutes and then finally getting to under saddle and saying nope in the first 10 seconds.

If it’s something where size is very important (eg a pony) I video the pony standing with a measuring stick, zoom in for the exact height/level bubble then zoom back out. That way there is no question of how they where measured

No music, no slow motion

Last few moments showing the horses personality I like but do it at the end not the start

3 Likes

Yes, this!

2 Likes

NO SLOW MOTION - just dont do it.

3 Likes

I would love to know LOCATION, Price Range, Age, Breed, Sex and Discipline right up front.I hate looking at a horse then realizing he’s 15 hours away which is way outside of where I want to go.

I want clear pictures of both sides, head on, and butt on. I want video of hooves being picked up, clear ones (yes I’m picky but having a horse who hates having feet messed with is a HUGE PITA to me).

If there is a video of the horse working, I want unedited video. I don’t care about the conversations you and Uncle Bob might be having. I just want to see that horse at each gait, backing up, being mounted, while dismounting. The more distractions the better IMHO.

I want to know if the horse stands tied at the crossties, hitch post, stall front, trailer, tree. They don’t have to stand at all of them, just nicely at one. Video would be amazing here to be honest. I will not buy a trained horse that won’t stand tied somewhere, it’s just too big a safety issue.

And honestly, I would love to know any vices up front. I am willing to deal with a few vices as long as I know about them and am expecting them.

1 Like

Location, please. Even if you say you’ll ship anywhere. I don’t feel like travelling 16 hrs to look at your horse. There will always be another one.

1 Like

And if it schooling 3rd or especially showing 3rd let’s see the changes. Shoulder-in and haunches-in do not make a 3rd level horse. And I agree - no slo mo. Mostly when you see that you can see how out behind the horse trots.

2 Likes