Unlimited access >

What do you look for in riding lessons for younger kids?

I taught young kids for a few years and I think reliable horses are very important. We had mostly 15h+ horses but they were all kind and patient. I did the first few lessons on the lunge line until the kids were confident with steering and walk-trot transition. By about the 5th lesson they were in a group. I think the kids learn best in a group because they watch and learn from each other. I also think it’s important for kids to learn how to fall off horses because learning how to fall prevents a lot of injuries - I was taught how to fall and it was very helpful as I got older and had the confidence to “emergency eject” if things got out of control. The only serious injury I’ve sustained was when I hesitated and bailed out too late. Also, safety and fun should be top priority. Correct riding happens organically if they are having fun.

1 Like

Also, just was made aware of a new club near Lovettsvile! Would you be willing to DM me?

@Weezer, totally agree about safe dismounting! Every so often we do dismount clinics for pony clubbers with the barrel to teach (multiple) safe techniques!

I would be interested in info on the club in Lovettsville. I have a gymnastics kid that rides and he might enjoy vaulting.

I am a licensed riding instructor as well as a Therapeutic Riding Instructor. l love teaching little kids. My suggestion would be to find a barn that has both a therapeutic and rec rider program because a reputable therapeutic program will have horses and ponies that have been carefully screened for disposition and manners, so they will be safe for kids and beginners. Safety is my first priority followed by fun - it’s so much fun to teach little kids with games so they are picking up skills while having fun, too. When kids are a bit older, I’m a huge fan of the United States Pony Club. I was a Pony Clubber and the lessons I learned in Pony Club stayed with me my whole life.

1 Like

Here’s a list of clubs in VA - I’ve reached back out to the Lovettsville club but haven’t heard back directly.

https://americanvaulting.net/Find-A-Club?State=VA