Unlimited access >

What is it about snow and why can't it be packaged?

Around here horses don’t get the iceballs stuck in their feet unless it’s really, like really freaking cold. The wet, packable snow balls up up for 2-3 steps then falls out on the next step and the cycle repeats.

I’m another who loves seeing clean feet! And even my mud puppy of a horse has white socks. The other horse always has a gleaming white sock (short of actually being in mud).

Me too! Its so neat to see a perfectly clean foot! Soooooo many opportunities for scrutinization :joy:

1 Like

All the above, PLUS the fact that there’s no dirt around to mess up the beautiful whiteness. I think that makes a big difference too.

Yep. My horse is perfectly happy to be body clipped until he sees his own hair on the floor when we’re (almost) finished, then stares at it with the “DEAD BODY!!!” eyes. :laughing: : annoying but cracks me up, too

2 Likes

@JB I have the same experience as @RedHorses
When it was frigid here - single digits with subzero wind-chill - I had to literally chisel snow out of the mini’s fronts. Horse & pony weren’t as bad, but though all are overdue for trims (weather delays) his toes are long.
Now that we have near-40F no one has anything balled up.

1 Like

Too bad minis don’t generally wear shoes. A quick couple of taps on a shoe with a hammer pops ice balls out with no chiselling effort required.

Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned the hammer trick … I remember getting into an argument somewhere years ago about how that was a terrible idea. I’m not sure it was here, but it might have been. But, it works, and has no effect at all on shoe stability or foot comfort. Even with snow rims, it’s a trick that needs to be put to use once or twice a year when the slushy crap immediately turns to hardened ice. No snow rim can fully deal with that crap. tap tap pop! Barefoot balls are brutal though, nothing for them but to chisel or walk them through a heated foot spa LOL

1 Like

I wish I could say it was snow, but actually the answer is buy a Teflon coated horse, this is his default setting!

3 Likes

My fluffy paint pony had a blinding contrast between the brown and white from the snow. Even his white mane was actually sparkling.

When the mud comes, he’ll look like a giant piece of extra crispy fried chicken

5 Likes