Unlimited access >

What Is The Plaid Horse?

Khaki is a color AND a fabric.

Sorry. Trying to keep it as cliff notes as possible. Point being, khaki does not equal chino unless the chino is khaki in color :slight_smile: They are 100% not the same type of fabric - chino is light weight and khaki is a heaver weight.

1 Like

…like my “Desert Khaki” Subaru Crosstrek!

2 Likes

Yup. I recall reading a long article in a mainstream print magazine circa 1999 all about Lily Pulitzer dresses because it was written by a lovely young woman who had just bailed from our notoriously harsh grad program. It was clear from the article she was basically writing about her extended family. I stuck it through and became a college professor because I didn’t have the cultural capital to segue into high end lifestyle journalism :slight_smile:

Years later on a white sand beach in Fiji I recall remarking to my companion how good all the clashing bright colors of swimwear sailboards kayaks beach chairs looked in that brilliant environment when they’d be hideous elsewhere. I think a lot of the green pink red garish end 9f “prep style” is beach wear inspired.

2 Likes

All of those colors look absolutely horrible with my olive skin, but I have a feeling they’re not designed to look good with my complexion! Golf and sailing clearly inspire quite a bit of prep fashion, although the red trousers are actually Oxfordbridge-inspired from the UK:

As a pre-Internet writer, I always assumed talent would get me a coveted job in lifestyle journalism to support my novelist’s career. That was a bit of a rude awakening that family connections had much to do with a writer’s ability to snag such cushy assignments.

There are whole stores I avoid because not a single color suits me. Talbot’s comes to mind. I have pale olive skin.

Yes, I think golf is another sport where men of a certain age enjoy antic colors and patterns.

I don’t mind any of this, it’s just all far away and on a different planet than my life :slight_smile:

Though I am regularly in the supermarket in faded Pikeurs and dusty Ariat sidegore paddock boots :slight_smile: which might look Equestrienne if anyone who saw me evrn knew those were riding clothes.

1 Like

Sometimes I creep strangers out in the grocery store when I see them in boots and leggings, and I try to figure out if it’s fashion or if they came from a barn as I give them a once-over.

2 Likes