Unlimited access >

What is wrong with my horses feet?? Farrier and vet stumped

Ya, if this were my horse and the bottom of one foot was literally just wide open to the internal foot structures and I thought his feet were literally rotting off the bone… I’d be hauling to OSU on the double.

Oakhurst is great and definitely my go to for lameness workups, but I wouldn’t be comfortable waiting til Monday with what has been described!

5 Likes

Holy heck

All I have is jingles

2 Likes

OMG I’m so sorry this is happening to your horse.I hope a diagnosis is made and treatment will be successful. Poor fellow and owner. Please keep us posted as to his progress. Praying for a good outcome for you

This diet could be high in selenium. (Three sources of selenium supplementation). Glad you are doing the bloodwork.

I will be interested in the selenium results. The OP appears (since hauling to Oakhurst) to be in NW Oregon, and here we are notoriously deficient in selenium. In our soils, our hay, everything. Generally speaking a commercial ration covers that gap without any issues, but ???

1 Like

Following, and sending healing hoof vibes.

1 Like

I’m wishing the best for this horse, but I am STUNNED that you are waiting to take him to the clinic. He should have already gone. To wait another few days is madness.

8 Likes

The sole CAN grow back, if the source of the original problem can be resolved. BTDT.
Good luck.

Good luck, and please report back!!!

If your horse’s feet are bleeding and have exposed nerves and tissue, this is an open door to infection if your horse is standing in anything not basically sterile. I hope he’s wearing serious protection! Poor guy, I hope your team can get to the bottom of this!!

3 Likes

Okay @Beeziethegiraffe – we are all waiting. What happened at the vets today?

9 Likes

Subscribing!

Hi everyone!! I am so sorry I took so long to post an update - this whole thing has been an emotional whirlwind for me.

I still have no answer as to the cause of his problems. Oakhurst says his heels got too low, which constricted his blood flow and stopped growth of the foot and caused deterioration of the sole. However, his venogram came back completely normal and they think there is no sign of laminitis. My farrier and several other vets I have consulted with vehemently disagree with this diagnoses. All his blood work came back normal, as well. I am waiting for an answer from Dr Huber (equine podiatrist) at OSU at this time.

Until then, we have put him in an Ultimate Shoe to raise his heels and increase circulation in the foot to promote growth, as well as 8 weeks complete stall rest (no handwalking). We are still treating for laminitis as well. His feet have also been treated as an open wound, so sanitation is a priority. I have him on aspirin. He appears to be in pain but in good spirits! I will update further as I get more information.

9 Likes

Just throwing this out there…

https://thehorse.com/148489/recognizing-pain-on-a-horses-face/

2 Likes

Sending Jingles & AO for your beloved horse ~

Sending B laced with strength & patience for you ~[/B]

1 Like

OP, with all due respect to you, how can your horse’s feet get too short if you have a phenomenal farrier? For this to happen his feet must be stubs. I cannot imagine how short hooves would have to be to stop growing.

Poor horsie. He must have been in terrible pain and probably still is unless he is on some heavy-duty pain medications.

I know he is under vet supervision, but aspirin?? As a blood thinning agent, wouldn’t that be detrimental?
I recently had a cracked tooth pulled, had been taking aspirin for the pain, and my dentist gave me heck because it could cause more bleeding! Wouldn’t something else be better for the pain?
Just thinking about your poor pony!!

1 Like

Aspirin is given to horses sometimes to help with Laminitis and other circulatory issues. It would not be the most powerful painkiller for the horse.

I hope you get some answers soon and your horse starts improving! Not that you need another DVM’s input in the mix but if you find you are not satisfied with your horse’s progress you might consider having your horse’s records sent to Dr. Scott Morrison at Rood & Riddle in Lexington KY for review on the diagnosis and treatment. He did an amazing job for my friend’s horse with some innovative shoeing solutions. Good luck and keep us posted!

1 Like

This…he needs to be at a vet now. Or euthed. Unless i am reading this wrong. The horse is walking on bone, and nerves. That would be excruciatingly painful.

4 Likes

Hence my linking the HGS. I couldn’t imagine. Especially that size of a horse, he must weight 1600 pounds give or take.

5 Likes