Unlimited access >

What supplements do you use/suggest?

[QUOTE=JB;8796624]
Of course many horses are fed that way. And, IME, many horses fade more than they should, owners are constantly buying this and that hoof dressing and coat spray, or battling some form of dermatitis on either a regular basis, or seasonally. “survive just fine” doesn’t mean optimal health.

I never said it couldn’t be done. But when you have a horse in hard work, or have nutrient-deficient or very unbalanced forage, things might appear “just fine” on the outside, but they aren’t on the inside.

Low on magnesium is a problem. Calcium requires magnesium for proper uptake. There’s a big difference between feeding a horse the majority of their diet something that is low in Mg, and over-supplementing it.

Horses can be lean/thin and be IR. I’m not implying you specifically should be worried about it, but your comment makes it sound like you believe thin/lean horses can’t be IR, and that’s not true. They are not the norm, for sure, but they absolutely exist.[/QUOTE]

I understand they need proper nutrition,i don’t get the reason for all the hype about high NSC diets.

And every time someones horse is hot spooky well it needs magnesium,so throw magnesium into the diet. Or oh horse is fat and a bit sore in the feet automatic its IR…Fat horses can be sore for other reasons that don’t include laminitis.

Think simple diet is better Grass or hay 24/7 then if worked add hard feed.My horses get worked hard and get minimal hard feed. Are they fat no, are they borderline too thin probably. Did the 10 lbs a day of grain,saw no difference in coat or health just horses who acted like they were on crack.

Seriously is there really any so called Vit/Min out there that covers a horse’s needs nutrition wise??? How do you know what they really need is it a wild guess or is there science to back it up?? or research to back up,what horses so called need for nutrition??

Wild horses live on grass or whats available,so how important is feeding our horses hard feed,and vit/mins??..

And i have the belief that thin/lean horses don’t have issues with being metabolic,just like lean people are less likely to be diabetic.

I supplement copper and zinc to offset high iron. (This has done more for my horses’ hoof quality than hoof supplements. Iron interferes with copper and zinc absorption, and signs of imbalance include bleached, dry coat, reddish tinge to black mane, tail and hair, and crumbly hooves, and tendency to have skin funk).

My horses all get a Tribute feed with glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM already in it (Essential K GC for the easy keepers, 25yo TB is currently on the Maturity GC), loose salt, minimal pasture and mostly alfalfa hay.

Temperatures here have been at or near triple digits so they are also getting additional electrolytes.

It costs me just under $1/day (feed and supplements only, not including hay) to feed the pony, and just over $2/day for the Thoroughbred, with the other two falling in the middle.

Mine is on Buckeye Gro n Win (balancer) and mixed hay. She gets an electrolyte powder in the AM, and that’s it. I keep a white salt block in the bottom of her feed bin.

I test hay for nutrient content, but not NSC not a concern when horses tend to be lean thin any way

I actually have a thin, very hard keeper who is IR.

1 Like

[QUOTE=tazycat;8796683]
I understand they need proper nutrition,i don’t get the reason for all the hype about high NSC diets.

And every time someones horse is hot spooky well it needs magnesium,so throw magnesium into the diet. Or oh horse is fat and a bit sore in the feet automatic its IR…Fat horses can be sore for other reasons that don’t include laminitis.

Think simple diet is better Grass or hay 24/7 then if worked add hard feed.My horses get worked hard and get minimal hard feed. Are they fat no, are they borderline too thin probably. Did the 10 lbs a day of grain,saw no difference in coat or health just horses who acted like they were on crack.

Seriously is there really any so called Vit/Min out there that covers a horse’s needs nutrition wise??? How do you know what they really need is it a wild guess or is there science to back it up?? or research to back up,what horses so called need for nutrition??

Wild horses live on grass or whats available,so how important is feeding our horses hard feed,and vit/mins??..

And i have the belief that thin/lean horses don’t have issues with being metabolic,just like lean people are less likely to be diabetic.[/QUOTE]

I’m specifically replying to the sections I bolded.

First, there’s an incredible amount of research dedicated to equine nutrition. Don’t believe me? Just do a scholarly article search on Google for free. Now, there’s nowhere near as much research as there is for human nutrition or food animal nutrition, but nutritional requirements for horses have actually been set by the NRC based on research, and are regularly revised as new research comes available. People aren’t just shooting in the dark when it comes to feeding horses.

Secondly, comparing a domesticated horse’s needs to those of a wild horse is grossly ignorant. Their lifestyles are so different I don’t even know where to begin. The additional demands we put on domesticated horses plus the limitations we put on their ability to forage and care for themselves (aka fencing them in) change their nutritional demands dramatically.

I’m not really sure what your overall argument is. But I felt those two points needed to be addressed.

[QUOTE=Texarkana;8797550]
I’m specifically replying to the sections I bolded.
I’m not really sure what your overall argument is. But I felt those two points needed to be addressed.[/QUOTE]

No argument going on here just asking is all…my horses pretty much live on pasture and minimal grain no supplements. They are shiny healthy hoofs and plenty of energy for work asked of them. My horses are as close to being natural as any horse can be, they run on 180 acres of land.

I just threw in the wild horse thing with no real thought put into it,i realize they are different from domesticated horses.

And yes i found the NRC requirements do i meet those requirement for my horses no i don’t.

[QUOTE=tazycat;8796683]
I understand they need proper nutrition,i don’t get the reason for all the hype about high NSC diets. [/QUOTE]
It’s proven there is a link between long-term high sugar diets, and development of insulin resistance. It’s the same as people eating high sugar diets for years, and the increased risk of developing Type II Diabetes.

The harder a horse or person works, the more they can absorb that high sugar diet, and to some extent they need a higher carb diet. But even for people, this is in terms of breads and pastas, not candy bars.

Given that studies show too many horses are deficient in magnesium, there’s a valid reason that is one of the first things suggested. That doesn’t mean it IS the problem, but it’s not just some crazy thing someone pulled out of their hat.

And why wouldn’t one jump to IR when presented with a fat, foot-sore horse, given that IR easily makes horses foot-sore when allowed to be fat and on too much grass or high sugar hay? It’s an easy thing to test for, and is easy to start addressing if it’s present. If the horse is just fine in that area, then of course look for another reason. But why wouldn’t you want to rule out the more obvious issue first?

I’m not sure what that had to do with the discussion though. But since you lumped it with magnesium, it’s also a fact that many IR horses need more Mg than the average horse in order to deal with the glucose they aren’t otherwise dealing with very well.

I’m not sure why it seems like “borderline too thin” is ok with you? I would not be happy with a situation if 10lb of feed didn’t change a horse’s weight at all, especially if they are also on free choice hay and/or grass. That tells me something is wrong - deworming, teeth, IR issues, something. Or you simply chose the wrong feed, high in sugar, which gave you hot horses burning off the calories they were eating, and therefore not gaining weight. It’s just not that difficult to put weight on an otherwise healthy horse who is “borderline too thin” on just forage, when a good quality feed is chosen

Seriously is there really any so called Vit/Min out there that covers a horse’s needs nutrition wise???

Most normal v/m supplements, those fed at 1-2oz a serving, provide some level of added nutrients. Is it enough? That all depends on the quality of the forage. IN many cases it simply has to do, since the horse can’t take more calories. But in many other cases, no, it’s not enough - not enough selenium, not enough Vit E, not enough magnesium, or copper or zinc, or whatever is specific to that situation. So you add those things on top.

How do you know what they really need is it a wild guess or is there science to back it up?? or research to back up,what horses so called need for nutrition??

The National Research Council has only been researching and reporting on this for decades. They put out an updated book a short while ago. There is a TON of research, over decades, on what horses need. Some of this has only been able to go as far as what a horse needs to live relatively well, but not necessarily in optimal health. Some has been extrapolated from levels found in milk, so not necessarily accurate, but at least a reasonable starting point. More research has been done in specific nutrients remedying various ailments, or at least managing symptoms.

There is a GREAT deal of knowledge of what horses do need

There’s no comparing the smaller, relatively sedentary (save for lots of walking) feral horses, to the often larger, and harder working while carrying (or pulling) weight, domestic horse. It is simply scientific fact that the harder a body works, the more nutrients it needs. How do you think muscles are built? It takes protein/amino acids. You can’t expect the same amino acid profile that sustains non-working, flabby muscles in the sedentary horse or person, to allow that individual to build or sustain muscle when work starts. It’s a know fact that if there is not enough nutrition coming into the body while it’s working, it will “eat” muscle tissue to protect the vital processes of the body.

And i have the belief that thin/lean horses don’t have issues with being metabolic,just like lean people are less likely to be diabetic.

It doesn’t matter what you believe. The facts are out there of lean/thin IR horses, and lean/thin Type II diabetics. Being overweight just increases the risk, and the longer you’re overweight, the more the risk increases - also proven.

They have an advantage that most domestic horses don’t have - access to a variety of forages, and presumably weeds and herbs, for a more rounded nutrient profile intake. Compare that to even 10 acres of pasture that is primarily a single grass, with access to woods (so leaves, bark) fenced off, and sprayed for weeds. How do you think the nutrient profiles compare?

And yes i found the NRC requirements do i meet those requirement for my horses no i don’t.

Why not? Why don’t you feel that’s a problem? The very fact that you admit to not meeting those is the very reason why supplements are often necessary. The NRC is based on what it takes to be reasonably healthy, best they can tell. For the most part they don’t know what it takes to be optimally healthy, but the animals themselves prove all over the place they need extras of something because of their specific needs.

[QUOTE=JB;8797697]
It’s proven there is a link between long-term high sugar diets, and development of insulin resistance. It’s the same as people eating high sugar diets for years, and the increased risk of developing Type II Diabetes.

The harder a horse or person works, the more they can absorb that high sugar diet, and to some extent they need a higher carb diet. But even for people, this is in terms of breads and pastas, not candy bars.

Given that studies show too many horses are deficient in magnesium, there’s a valid reason that is one of the first things suggested. That doesn’t mean it IS the problem, but it’s not just some crazy thing someone pulled out of their hat.

And why wouldn’t one jump to IR when presented with a fat, foot-sore horse, given that IR easily makes horses foot-sore when allowed to be fat and on too much grass or high sugar hay? It’s an easy thing to test for, and is easy to start addressing if it’s present. If the horse is just fine in that area, then of course look for another reason. But why wouldn’t you want to rule out the more obvious issue first?

I’m not sure what that had to do with the discussion though. But since you lumped it with magnesium, it’s also a fact that many IR horses need more Mg than the average horse in order to deal with the glucose they aren’t otherwise dealing with very well.

I’m not sure why it seems like “borderline too thin” is ok with you? I would not be happy with a situation if 10lb of feed didn’t change a horse’s weight at all, especially if they are also on free choice hay and/or grass. That tells me something is wrong - deworming, teeth, IR issues, something. Or you simply chose the wrong feed, high in sugar, which gave you hot horses burning off the calories they were eating, and therefore not gaining weight. It’s just not that difficult to put weight on an otherwise healthy horse who is “borderline too thin” on just forage, when a good quality feed is chosen

Most normal v/m supplements, those fed at 1-2oz a serving, provide some level of added nutrients. Is it enough? That all depends on the quality of the forage. IN many cases it simply has to do, since the horse can’t take more calories. But in many other cases, no, it’s not enough - not enough selenium, not enough Vit E, not enough magnesium, or copper or zinc, or whatever is specific to that situation. So you add those things on top.

The National Research Council has only been researching and reporting on this for decades. They put out an updated book a short while ago. There is a TON of research, over decades, on what horses need. Some of this has only been able to go as far as what a horse needs to live relatively well, but not necessarily in optimal health. Some has been extrapolated from levels found in milk, so not necessarily accurate, but at least a reasonable starting point. More research has been done in specific nutrients remedying various ailments, or at least managing symptoms.

There is a GREAT deal of knowledge of what horses do need

There’s no comparing the smaller, relatively sedentary (save for lots of walking) feral horses, to the often larger, and harder working while carrying (or pulling) weight, domestic horse. It is simply scientific fact that the harder a body works, the more nutrients it needs. How do you think muscles are built? It takes protein/amino acids. You can’t expect the same amino acid profile that sustains non-working, flabby muscles in the sedentary horse or person, to allow that individual to build or sustain muscle when work starts. It’s a know fact that if there is not enough nutrition coming into the body while it’s working, it will “eat” muscle tissue to protect the vital processes of the body.

It doesn’t matter what you believe. The facts are out there of lean/thin IR horses, and lean/thin Type II diabetics. Being overweight just increases the risk, and the longer you’re overweight, the more the risk increases - also proven.

They have an advantage that most domestic horses don’t have - access to a variety of forages, and presumably weeds and herbs, for a more rounded nutrient profile intake. Compare that to even 10 acres of pasture that is primarily a single grass, with access to woods (so leaves, bark) fenced off, and sprayed for weeds. How do you think the nutrient profiles compare?

Why not? Why don’t you feel that’s a problem? The very fact that you admit to not meeting those is the very reason why supplements are often necessary. The NRC is based on what it takes to be reasonably healthy, best they can tell. For the most part they don’t know what it takes to be optimally healthy, but the animals themselves prove all over the place they need extras of something because of their specific needs.[/QUOTE]

It’s obvious i don’t have a real good clue on nutrition for horses,so iv gotten away with feeding high NSC diets. My pasture is far from weed free and lots of woods are included in that 180 acres. I’am sure with only one kind of grass the nutrient level is changed,because whatever nutrients are in that grass it’s only nutrients horse will receive.

yes i’m sure my belief about lean/thin not being IR is wrong,as proven here,so i won’t argue that,i’ll admit when i am wrong.

The not meeting requirements is because my horses seem to be healthy,with so called not being fed according to NRC. And no horses didn’t seem to be any better for the 10lbs being fed. But i quit feeding it because they lose interest in 5lbs of feed in pan after so long of being fed that amount. So is there a problem?? maybe so.

So the fat sore footed horse should be check for IR so there again i’ll admit being uneducated in that fact…so i learned something new.

I’am not here to argue if i’am wrong i’ll admit it,and from looks of it i’v been wrong have wrong ideas, and so need to learn different. So that’s why i ask and question things.:wink:

The magnesium thing i just don’t quite get it,but sounds like it’s needed in diet for horses. Why my horses tend to stay thin lean don’t know,i just kinda of except it. Not that i don’t care i do, but i’v run out of ideas to get their weight up. I’v tried 9 different feeds in 3 months time…think horses are just plain sick of feed.

So I’m a bit confused. You said you had your hay tested, right? And it’s low in Mg (at least), right? But then on your other thread, with your thin horse (who is too thin, yes), you say they won’t eat the hay, really, and that they are on 180 acres of pasture. Have you tested that pasture? I’m guessing not :slight_smile: So for all intents and purposes, your horses’ nutrients and calories are coming strictly from what’s in the pasture, weeds and leaves and grass and all. That’s a much more well-rounded diet, nutrient-wise, than just your Mg-deficient hay :slight_smile:

And no horses didn’t seem to be any better for the 10lbs being fed. But i quit feeding it because they lose interest in 5lbs of feed in pan after so long of being fed that amount. So is there a problem?? maybe so.

Yes, I do think you have a problem not being addressed, after reading through your other thread, especially since it appeared that there was some weight loss somewhere along the line (as opposed to always being “borderline too thin”.

5lb of feed is the max you should be feeding at a sitting, and some horses lose interest in hard feed at a certain volume point, rather than weight, which makes feeding them require finding calorie-dense foods, or feeding more frequent but smaller meals.

So the fat sore footed horse should be check for IR so there again i’ll admit being uneducated in that fact…so i learned something new.

That really is the first thing that should be tested :slight_smile:

I’am not here to argue if i’am wrong i’ll admit it,and from looks of it i’v been wrong have wrong ideas, and so need to learn different. So that’s why i ask and question things.:wink:

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The magnesium thing i just don’t quite get it,but sounds like it’s needed in diet for horses.

Insufficient Mg makes for a whole host of problems, including mild “training problems” which can be anything from lack of forwardness or energy, to being hot/spooky. Every mineral has an interaction with 1 or more minerals, and in there there’s some ideal ratio of each of those. For example, the calcium:phosphorous ration should be 1.5-2:1 for the adult horse. Adults can take a higher ratio than growing horses. Calcium:magnesium is also roughly 1.5-2:1 That means for each 1.5gm of calcium, it requires 1gm of magnesium to be utilized. If there’s more Ca than that? That’s fine. But if there’s not even that much Mg? Then you don’t get full use of the calcium. Magnesium also interacts with manganese and phosphorous, so you can start to see what low magnesium also affects.

Why my horses tend to stay thin lean don’t know,i just kinda of except it. Not that i don’t care i do, but i’v run out of ideas to get their weight up. I’v tried 9 different feeds in 3 months time…think horses are just plain sick of feed.

Dewormed properly? Quest, or a Power Pack, tapeworms?

Instead of hijacking this thread, like I’v already done. Ill answer the questions here that you asked. Yes wormed with quest plus end of April. .teeth done about a month ago. Yes to lost a bit more weight…since I started thread about it. No they won’t eat hay…they prefer the grass over hay.

Yes hay is tested and yes low in magnesium no pasture has never been tested. Horses currenly wont eat 2 lbs hardly unless I dump molasses on feed. Think we should take this discussion over to thread I started.

Wow, thank you all so much for the great information! Sorry for the slow reply! I’ve been ill for the past few days and spending my energy on top priority things :stuck_out_tongue:

I see now that I need to do more research on what my horses are consuming… and it is helpful to know that MSM is popular. Thank you all so much!

This site has a lot of good information on supplements in general: http://www.doctorramey.com/

Other than basic vitamin/mineral supplements, genuinely needed by horses on reduced calorie diets or on unavoidably lousy forage, I think most supplements are very expensive placebos. They make owners feel good, but that’s about it, I think.

Ninety-five times out of a hundred, trying to find any scientific research supporting the manufacturers’ extravagant claims is impossible. Most of the ad copy is basically meaningless if examined critically (“may help to improve . . . blah, blah, blah”) and the entire industry is essentially unregulated.

So, yeah. Unless a trusted vet specifically recommends it, I don’t buy anything marketed as a “supplement”.

[QUOTE=tazycat;8797871]
Instead of hijacking this thread, like I’v already done. Ill answer the questions here that you asked. Yes wormed with quest plus end of April. .teeth done about a month ago. Yes to lost a bit more weight…since I started thread about it. No they won’t eat hay…they prefer the grass over hay.

Yes hay is tested and yes low in magnesium no pasture has never been tested. Horses currenly wont eat 2 lbs hardly unless I dump molasses on feed. Think we should take this discussion over to thread I started.[/QUOTE]
Prepare for 5,469 posts on the miracles of magnesium supplementation.

Betcha ten bucks. :wink: