Unlimited access >

what supplements work for you?

[QUOTE=JB;9017484]
Those things entirely rely on how much a horse will consume on an average day, or on a daily average over a week. You definitely can’t put one of those out which contains any real selenium to speak of, in case a horse decides to chow down.

Horses self-regulate salt, and that’s about it. Debatably calcium and phosphorous. That’s it. IMHO those v/m blocks make owners feel good they’re doing something helpful.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I put the lick tubs out because horse doesn’t reliably eat enough tc senior to meet his need vit/mins wise. He licks on this vit/min tub daily i see him every day licking on it. Maybe not ideal but it is what it is works for horse he looks good.

I am really happy with Bioflax for coat and hooves. I have seen a significant improvement in coat shine in the 6 months I’ve been using it. I use Adequan for joints.

[QUOTE=Pippigirl;9017291]
I looked at that link and although it says its a good source copper, I’m wondering why in the list of minerals it lists copper as 0.0 mg, 2%? Maybe 0 mg is a misprint?

I don’t understand how they come up with DV of 2% if there’s 0.0 mg of Copper.

From the link:

Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV
Calcium 11.9 mg 1%
Iron 1.6 mg 9%
Magnesium 12.5 mg 3%
Phosphorus 23.3 mg 2%
Potassium 158 mg 5%
Sodium 2.3 mg 0%
Zinc 0.3 mg 2%
Copper 0.0 mg 2%
Manganese 0.1 mg 3%
Selenium 0.3 mcg 0%[/QUOTE]

Cu = 0.0071 mg so both 0.0 mg and 3% is correct. You don’t want milligrams of Cu in your horse’s system. :wink:

I’ll agree with those who say it’s too vague a question. It depends on the individual horse in question; the horse’s lifestyle and work demands; the quality of forage available; and the quality/type of feed (if any).

For example: I have a TB mare coming back into moderate work after some time off/in light exercise for ulcer treatment. She eats:

• Excellent quality hay f
  • Free choice salt
  • Magnesium supp as suggested by vet - she was quite mag deficient when I bought her, and a tiny little maintenance dose of Mg really makes a noticeable differed in 3 meals daily (barn provided, about 8lbs/feeding)
  • Good quality hay which I buy and put in her paddock a bale at a time in a slow-feed hay net so that she has something to nibble on 24/7. She’s out on pasture half the day with access to her paddock - but ignores the net in favour of the frostbitten grass :slight_smile:
  • Soaked alfalfa and beet pulp (without molasses) for some extra calories and protein 2x/day
  • a vitamin supplement with Se and vit. E because our soil is very deficient in Se.
  • a Mg supplement on the advice of my vet - she was quite Mg deficient when I bought her, and a tiny little daily maintenance dose makes a big difference.

This keeps her fat, shiny, happy, and healthy. As her workload increases, it’s possible she will need something more to help keep up with the increased physical demands. Whether that will be simply an increase in what she’s currently getting, the addition of oats, or a commercial grain is something I’ll evaluate if/when the time comes.

^^ this is a perfect set up for my horse. Could be disastrous for someone with Se+ soil, could just not work for someone who doesn’t have access to excellent hay, or someone whose horse can’t eat enough forage due to a tooth issue, or a horse who is IR and needs diet tailored to that.

Best to test hay and get a basic blood panel on your horse.

ahh! my reply appears to have been rearranged randomly. Sorry! Can’t edit, unfortunately.

[QUOTE=Katona;9030777]
Cu = 0.0071 mg so both 0.0 mg and 3% is correct. You don’t want milligrams of Cu in your horse’s system. ;)[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand where you get 0.0071 mg though. Also what is the daily requirement of Cu? And Zn

[QUOTE=kashmere;9030821]
ahh! my reply appears to have been rearranged randomly. Sorry! Can’t edit, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Slightly off topic but I learned from another CoTHer, if you right click on <edit post> and open link in a new window (or tab?) you can edit your post :slight_smile:

MVP Exceed 6-Way and Gastro-Plex. The Exceed has prolonged the time my horse needs between injections, his coat is nice and he recovers better after workouts. He’s a roarer and a bleeder and I feel like it has helped that as well, he doesn’t sound quite so awful as he used to. The Gastro-Plex has eliminated my need for ulcer medications during hauling which has saved more money than what it costs per month. He scopes about as clean as one can and his gate/alley issues have pretty much disappeared. My pasture pet is on a tub of Platinum Performance that I won at our NBHA awards banquet, but I haven’t noticed a difference. He only gets half the recommended dose daily because he’s not doing anything and gets regular glucosamine injections and yearly joint injections anyway.

Not a supplement ( eta: I guess it is),
but I have had a jug of red cell ( use on my goats occasionally) and I started my horses on it a month ago because I thought my mare might be lacking in something because of a skin type issue.

Not only has the skin issue disappeared, but my farrier was here this morning and both mares were so well behaved ( i mean-- in not moving at all) that he commented he should pay me!!

They are always good, but this was abnormally so and they have been off work for a month and a living semi- feral lifestyle with me just feeding and watering 2x a day with the occasional pat.

I think I will continue on with it.

Red Cell IS a supplement. It’s a high iron supplement. Used for long enough without the horse actually being anemic, which is really rare, can actually lead TO anemia (which makes a horse tired and “well behaved”).

It is not at all something I would use without a good reason. There are probably other things in it that are helping the skin, things you can get without all the added iron.

[QUOTE=JB;9033018]
Red Cell IS a supplement. It’s a high iron supplement. Used for long enough without the horse actually being anemic, which is really rare, can actually lead TO anemia (which makes a horse tired and “well behaved”).

It is not at all something I would use without a good reason. There are probably other things in it that are helping the skin, things you can get without all the added iron.[/QUOTE]

I bought it to use in my goats that might have anemia due to a worm issue ( happens occasionally) and it works really well, but I never thought it would have too much iron since it is a horse supplement and is directed for everyday use.

I will look into something else if you think it is unsafe? What do you suggest?

I have loved CortaFlex FlexForce with HA for my boy’s arthritis in his one fetlock (caused by a chip we can’t take out). It’s got the glucosamine, MSM, HA, CM; but also has natural anti-inflammatories (bromelain, yucca). It’s made a substantial difference for him. I also love chia seeds (he gets 1/3 cup daily) in addition to his regular feed (Strategy Healthy Edge). I think I will be adding SuperSport at the recommendation of my vet this morning, to help develop a better topline and butt. :slight_smile:

I have seen a noticeable difference in my horse’s breathing with SmartBreathe. Unfortunately all of my horses have some degree of allergies and the SmartBreathe has really helped all of them. I also use SmartDigest and Remission. My pony is less cresty with the remission and the SmartDigest helps everyone out.