Unlimited access >

What type of arena footing?

I learned this too, especially when you really pay attention, you really see how much the foot slides in each step.

Thank you all–I hadn’t checked this in a while and there is more good information. I think for now I will go with some kind of sand–just not clear which kind yet. I hope to visit a few rings and see and feel the footing and take a sample of the ones I like. Then maybe if I think it’s necessary I can add crushed rubber down the road. I REALLY appreciate everyone’s input.

(Oh and for reference I have 2 horses that get ridden 5 x week, so the ring will get no more than 10 rides per week in it. I enjoy hacking out too, so it’s probably more like 6 rides per week in it. 😉 )

Side question- what do you do for sand outdoor that cannot be watered and often packs hard when dry? Is there some sort of additive that can help prevent compaction?

This footing also has a fine dust that lingers when it is dry, not sure what type of sand it is. (Not my ring…)

This $10.00 book is great! We built our own arena and got everything we needed from our local landscape /stone store. We used cement sand. If we don’'t drag, it gets hard.

https://store.usdf.org/products/underfoot [h=1]Underfoot[/h] Regular price $10.00

NEW 2015 Edition. Everything you need to build an indoor or outdoor arena is contained in this book. Published by USDF, with input from Premier Equestrian, LCC, and a host of experts, this book defines arena building and footing.

1 Like