Unlimited access >

Whats in your perfect tack shop?

If there’s a local market for it, like local shows with derbies, it can be great when store rent out shads for classes.

Thats a great idea! HITS saugerties is half an hour away so that could be huge. Especially for the pony riders who would outgrow one in a year

[QUOTE=hunterrider23;7966922]
If there’s a local market for it, like local shows with derbies, it can be great when store rent out shads for classes.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=btswass;7966973]
Thats a great idea! HITS saugerties is half an hour away so that could be huge. Especially for the pony riders who would outgrow one in a year[/QUOTE]

Then if this is a full time venture, you may want to look into getting a mobile trailer.

[QUOTE=hunterrider23;7967084]
Then if this is a full time venture, you may want to look into getting a mobile trailer.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately HITS is much too expensive to sell at. The costs for trailer space is so high that unless your a major tack shop like Hadfield’s you won’t profit. But advertising to let parents know we rent out shads for HITS is possible.

Given the easy of online ordering and overnight delivery, I think you should consider a strong offering of services, e.g. tack repair, blanket wash and repair, to support your sales. You also need a good stock of items 1. for which people are more likely to think “tack shop” rather than “online” (like helmets, which need to be tried on) and 2. that people are likely to have an urgent need for and so will hit the tack shop rather than go online.

For example, recently, my horse managed to rip up his blanket during a cold spell. No problem, I’ll run into the tack shop - which had nothing in his size or the next size up or the next size down. Arrgghh! (It’s amazing what you can do with a ripped blanket when you mix desperation, baling twine, and a hole punch. :slight_smile: )

Also, I’m willing to order stuff through my local tack shop rather than do it myself online just to support the shop. I like having it available as a resource and am willing to spend some of my horse dollars there. But, a year ago, I asked them to order a bit that they didn’t have in stock and they never got around to ordering it! I finally gave up and ordered it from SmartPak and vowed never to order anything through the tack shop again. So, if you do special orders, do them in a timely fashion or just don’t bother.

Finally, if you do consignment, I’m begging you: set some standards and don’t just take anything anyone brings you. My local tack shop takes pretty much anything and I’ve given up looking through the consignment stuff because I’m sick of pawing through piles of nasty, dirty, crap looking for something I might need or be able to use. It’s not worth it.

[QUOTE=mroades;7966399]
My mother had a tack store, packed with goods and knowledge. Most people came in tried stuff on, then ordered from Dover…[/QUOTE]

That happens frequently at our local tack shops. And to make it worse, Dover opened a new store in the area.

[QUOTE=NoSuchPerson;7967347]
Given the easy of online ordering and overnight delivery, I think you should consider a strong offering of services, e.g. tack repair, blanket wash and repair, to support your sales. You also need a good stock of items 1. for which people are more likely to think “tack shop” rather than “online” (like helmets, which need to be tried on) and 2. that people are likely to have an urgent need for and so will hit the tack shop rather than go online.

For example, recently, my horse managed to rip up his blanket during a cold spell. No problem, I’ll run into the tack shop - which had nothing in his size or the next size up or the next size down. Arrgghh! (It’s amazing what you can do with a ripped blanket when you mix desperation, baling twine, and a hole punch. :slight_smile: )

Also, I’m willing to order stuff through my local tack shop rather than do it myself online just to support the shop. I like having it available as a resource and am willing to spend some of my horse dollars there. But, a year ago, I asked them to order a bit that they didn’t have in stock and they never got around to ordering it! I finally gave up and ordered it from SmartPak and vowed never to order anything through the tack shop again. So, if you do special orders, do them in a timely fashion or just don’t bother.

Finally, if you do consignment, I’m begging you: set some standards and don’t just take anything anyone brings you. My local tack shop takes pretty much anything and I’ve given up looking through the consignment stuff because I’m sick of pawing through piles of nasty, dirty, crap looking for something I might need or be able to use. It’s not worth it.[/QUOTE]

Having worked at the local tack shop in the area that will soon be closing down, there were times that special orders took months to come in because the owner didn’t pay her bills. Unacceptable. The only way to compete with dover and smartpak is customer service going above and beyond 100% of the time. People truly appreciate good customer service especially as it can be pretty hard to find these days. Thanks for the suggestions :slight_smile:

I’m in the Hudson Valley and would love to support a bricks-and-mortar tack shop. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about local horse markets.

Customer service like this is impressive: I purchased some things for my new gray horse, and the tack store owner later emailed me, “we just got in some browbands that would look especially good on a grey horse.” I was so impressed that she remembered. SmartPak couldn’t do that.

I have a feeling I’m not in the demographic of your proposed store but one thing I love about my local tack shop is its 20% coupons and seasonal ‘blowout’ sales where everything is 20%-40% off. It becomes quite an ‘event’ actually. There actually are occasional events hosted by the store to draw people in.

Advice about sizing stuff like helmets and tall boots is helpful, especially for new riders/people with odd-shaped heads and short legs :rolleyes:

1. Real Whitney coolers (wool), old school style.

2. Pull on bell boots that are actually long enough to rest on the floor when put on the horse. Not the ubiquitous “miniskirt around the coronet band” that I do not for the life of me understand.

3. Mongramming included, because I can dream? :slight_smile:

RWR hairnets. I can’t live without them. My local tack store carries them and I’m always purchasing them there… Well, “always” in that they last for-EVAH! :wink:

Fly spray.

Be willing to order an item for a customer. I tried to order a shirt from our local tack store MONTHS ago. It is one they stock, but they did not have it in the color/size I wanted. Several weeks later I got a call saying they would order the next time they ordered from the vendor. I never heard from them again, and they have never mentioned it the subsequent times I’ve gone in. Weird… I also have tried to order supplements, etc. through them but they said there is not enough profit and to go down the street to a competitor…?

Th Tack Shack in Ocala has a horsey yard sale where people can pay $15 for a table to sell used tack, etc. They donate the table fee to a local 4H group and also run a sale on their store items. I don’t live very close to Ocala but I am sure they do a good business in the store by sponsoring the yard sale. Might be an idea when you start up to get the word out.
http://www.tackshackocala.com/hooffahoyasa1.html

I would love to see a local tack shop carry really nice quality but (relatively) inexpensive halters - like the ones you can get from Quillin, Tack Shack of Ocala, and Albright’s, instead of only stuff from Perri’s, HFP, Walsh, and a random assortment of cheap ick. The thoroughbred halter makers make nicer halters than Perri’s (and other Amish makers) at about the same price or less.

The ability to order really nice plates, like those from The Engraver (or Quillin, if you need a more substantial plate). Most local tack shops can order plates for you, but they’re not as nice as The Engraver’s (or Quillin’s). And if you’re going to ship a plate to someone, do it for free (rather than charging $5.95 or something like that for a regular envelope). Ability to install plates on-site is a big plus.

Definitely be selective on consignment items - clean, working condition, no rips/tears/holes, and current (or fairly current) styles.

A range of products at different price points is always nice.

And as others have noted, GOOD customer service (make sure you have “tack nerds” on staff) and consistent stock of basic essentials - bell boots (good ones), fly spray, shampoo, no-bows, standing wraps, fly masks, first aid items, etc.

If I were rich, I would definitely open a tack store.

Agree with other posters, if you are going with a local tack store, customer service is vital. If you worked at certain big tack store in your area (I am just north in Columbia County) I have had issues with their customer service. If I need to visit a tack store, will travel to Lanesborough, Mass - Timmy always remembers my name!

Let us know if you decide to open the store!

Pick a few Core Suppliers, Ones that have a large varity of product , An initial credit line is fine but if it’s not paid off within the first year your doing something wrong , the worst thing to do is stock your racks off a credit line that you only pay the interest on … You can not and never will please everyone and you cannot stock everything. Stock the trends to a point but the classics should always be available . Many Vendors have initial stocking orders you must meet Ariat is one of them but since Ariat is EVERYwhere and copied by everyone I would stock something similar in quality and looks, Treadstep is a good one with a lot of variable sizes and JPC has an great quality lower level boot for the beginners among other stuff and they are very good to work with. Heritage Gloves or Grand Prix Gloves or Rockels but not all . If you educate and develope your customers properly you will find them more willing to try a brand you stock vs special ordering something you don’t , Remember the more you buy from 1 vendor the better you prices will be but ordering onseys from a vendor will always make your prices less competitive with the big box online discounters , You cannot compete with them so don’t even try . Customer service is your biggest plus and stock the little stuff , no one wants to spend $7.00 on shipping for a hair net .

[QUOTE=ET’s Home;7969549]
Agree with other posters, if you are going with a local tack store, customer service is vital. If you worked at certain big tack store in your area (I am just north in Columbia County) I have had issues with their customer service. If I need to visit a tack store, will travel to Lanesborough, Mass - Timmy always remembers my name!

Let us know if you decide to open the store![/QUOTE]

Thanks I will!!

I wish you luck. Our local tack shop went out of business, and I have heard repeatedly from others how hard it is to compete with the online tack stores. I like some of the advice you’ve been given, like being sure to keep frequently-needed items like hairnets, fly spray, and bell boots in stock. I also really like the idea of offering services like blanket repair, tack repair, and monogramming. I’m not going to mail out items for those services.

One thing I will mention is that some people have made a go of a tack shop by combining the business with some other line. The Galloping Grape, which is a combination tack shop and wine store, is one example. This store appeals to two different groups of customers with some overlap. People will stop in for a bottle of wine and will sometimes browse the tack. I think the wine line keeps the tack business alive. The owner posts here (I think); maybe she can tell you more.

[QUOTE=Dewey;7969882]
I wish you luck. Our local tack shop went out of business, and I have heard repeatedly from others how hard it is to compete with the online tack stores. I like some of the advice you’ve been given, like being sure to keep frequently-needed items like hairnets, fly spray, and bell boots in stock. I also really like the idea of offering services like blanket repair, tack repair, and monogramming. I’m not going to mail out items for those services.

One thing I will mention is that some people have made a go of a tack shop by combining the business with some other line. The Galloping Grape, which is a combination tack shop and wine store, is one example. This store appeals to two different groups of customers with some overlap. People will stop in for a bottle of wine and will sometimes browse the tack. I think the wine line keeps the tack business alive. The owner posts here (I think); maybe she can tell you more.[/QUOTE]

Yes I heard about her! She does post here. Its a great idea. There are two levels to the barn we want to convert and we’d love to turn the bottom into a craft beer section. We are a very big craft beer area with lots of local breweries. Plus I know a lot more about beer than wine. I think its maybe easier to get a license to sell just beer vs wine a liquor as well. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks!

Wow, if you sell beer, I may have to visit you! Beer and tack–what could be better? :wink:

What’s in my perfect tack store? A hot man waiting for me with a credit card (or wad of cash). :wink: (just kidding, I buy all my own stuff - except Christmas)