Unlimited access >

What's it all for?

Forging, you will hear it, the hind hoof runs into the sole of the front hoof and it is sort of a muted click on a bare-foot horse. On a shod horse it rings out loud and clear.

My first horse, otherwise perfect for me, forged at anything faster than his “normal” walk, click, click, click every single step of the way when I asked him to extend his stride. The same thing happened at the trot also. My first horse did not develop a good extended walk though his extended trot ended up being very, very good, but by then he was strong enough to move his front foot out of the way of the advancing hind hoof at the trot.

1 Like

I find a horse may forge when being pushed out of his natural rhythm, as in pushed to go faster rather than actually lengthening his stride. So then, slow the horse while still asking for the longer stride. Goodness me, this riding malarkey is difficult, isn’t it?

2 Likes

For educational reading, including diagrams and complete explanations of the various gaits and principles, I recommend Walter Zettl’s Dressage in Harmony. It can be purchased on Amazon rather cheaply and will take you from the very beginnings, all the way to the top levels.

2 Likes

Forging does happen if the horse is pushed faster than it can go with the muscle it currently has, so also if the horse is running in trot.These are things that happen with beginner riders and dies not happen with a different rider on the same horse

Also look at what your farrier is doing.

My instructor has told me with Stars to keep asking in the walk until he moves my body.

2 Likes