Unlimited access >

Where did you get your OTTB?

http://www.equineracers.com/

I heard about the one I bought through his exercise rider who really liked him and was concerned about him finding a good home. I dealt directly with his trainers in terms of agreeing upon a purchase price, etc.

Now that I’ve gotten to know some more of the horse community in this area, I think if I were to buy another I’d go through a breeder and purchase either a horse that wasn’t looking like it would cut it on the track and thus hadn’t raced or one that the breeder had maintained ownership of, raced and retired.

Mine have all been my own retired racehorses. :slight_smile:

I got my OTTB girl from New Vocation in PA. They are wonderful to work with!! They made a special exception for me since I live outside their approved states for adoption.

My friend adopted four OTTB from Brenda Estes in Washington.

Directly from the breeder (who the race trainer used to sell the horse). She posted an ad on a local eventing forum. Horse was a failure in training as a 2 year old, so he actually never made it to the track, but went through all the training including breaking from the gates.

A wonderful woman that buys horses from kill buyers & off the track found him. She also takes washed up show horses and no where to go horses. She brings a truck load every couple of years to the Fox Hunting barn I used to work at. She is brilliant and I bought him before looking at him go.

[QUOTE=up-at-5;7358087]
They always post such beautiful pictures of the horses available.:)[/QUOTE]

They do!

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/550399_538727156143591_1568232367_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/301338_538727169476923_352500725_n.jpg

Their photos of my kiddo!

Both of mine were bought when we lived in Colorado. Basque from a track vet
from a newspaper ad in 1998. Cash was word of mouth from a friend with a friend who was looking for polo ponies. Cash didn’t fit the bill but the friend (who
had horse sat for us once) thought he would be a fit for me. Basque was a recovering EPM horse who we weren’t sure was going to return to full abilities.

My first guy I went through someone who was suppose to be a trainer. Most likely a flipper and horse had no real after track training. Also possibly drugged but my bad for not getting blood work done. I found one of her other horses on Dreamhorse.com but horse was not as listed, should have been my first instinct to walk away but there was a big boy with a heart on his head that I just couldn’t walk away from.

I currently have a gelding on trial from Second Chance Ranch.

The first two from Barrett’s Auction in California. I bought them cheap from the owner after the auction when they did not sell.

One was given to me by Star Barn Thoroughbreds in Pennsylvania after I contacted them and let them know I owned the dam and wanted to be a backup retirement option. She was also a brood mare at that point in her life.

The fourth was also a freebie, free to a good home, which I found on Horseclicks in a search for mares with a specific bloodline. Her owner had claimed her, raced her, then retired her to broodmare life for several years. I don’t know why I was searching for a specific bloodline – I can’t imagine I will ever breed any mare, ever, but it was one of those weak moments. I found her just when I was arranging transport for the mare from Star Barn Thoroughbreds and well, two shipped for a discount? What a deal! I was like Hank with a mineral! (Breaking Bad reference for those of you who don’t watch it).

This brings me to a question: I have always assumed an OTTB is a Thoroughbred which has raced, but it occurs to me that people might have different definitions, and might mean a Thoroughbred purchased immediately after its racing career, rather than horses like mine which raced and then were used as brood mares. Maybe I am misusing the term. Maybe mine aren’t OTTBs after all.

I posted on OTTB Connect about OTTBs in the Minnesota area and was connected with my girl’s previous owner through that.

I got Chasing Piper from The Makers Mark Secretariat Center in Lexington, KY.

This has been a fun thread to see all the different responses!

Denver Craigslist. The woman from whom I bought her had bought her back east and had her shipped. She disliked the mare and found her to be too hot, and advertised her as such.

Denver Craigslist. The woman from whom I bought her had bought her back East from someone she knew on some bulletin board, I think. She had her shipped. She disliked the mare and found her to be too hot, and advertised her as such.

My first from a breeder, my second was an abandoned prospect at the barn I was taking lessons at, my current from Canter of So. California. He is Carson and doing very well.

[QUOTE=PeteyPie;7359631]
The first two from Barrett’s Auction in California. I bought them cheap from the owner after the auction when they did not sell.

One was given to me by Star Barn Thoroughbreds in Pennsylvania after I contacted them and let them know I owned the dam and wanted to be a backup retirement option. She was also a brood mare at that point in her life.

The fourth was also a freebie, free to a good home, which I found on Horseclicks in a search for mares with a specific bloodline. Her owner had claimed her, raced her, then retired her to broodmare life for several years. I don’t know why I was searching for a specific bloodline – I can’t imagine I will ever breed any mare, ever, but it was one of those weak moments. I found her just when I was arranging transport for the mare from Star Barn Thoroughbreds and well, two shipped for a discount? What a deal! I was like Hank with a mineral! (Breaking Bad reference for those of you who don’t watch it).

This brings me to a question: I have always assumed an OTTB is a Thoroughbred which has raced, but it occurs to me that people might have different definitions, and might mean a Thoroughbred purchased immediately after its racing career, rather than horses like mine which raced and then were used as brood mares. Maybe I am misusing the term. Maybe mine aren’t OTTBs after all.[/QUOTE]

It’s great to hear you give these horses such wonderful homes. To answer your question, an OTTB refers to any horse that has raced whether straight off the track or not. If your horses raced, they will have a tattoo on the inside if their upper lip and there will be records of their racing career. Even though they are now broodmares, they have the stamp if OTTB. Hope this helps! Loves the breaking bad reference!

I got my Artie Schiller baby through my coach via Adena Springs.
After 12 years, I had just lost my 20 yr old TB in a freak accident and decided to give up riding. And this 4 year-old gelding shows up for sale. I don’t know what got into me. A fat middle-aged woman doesn’t need a young TB off the track!
He got 3 months off, just hanging and eating. Then he went to my trainer’s for 2 months. Long story short, this fat middle-aged woman now has a lovely, well-tempered gelding! :smiley:

hehe Somantu. Don’t feel bad, I am fat and approaching old and just bought a 6yo OTTB mare.

I don’t have one yet but may be interested in getting one in a year or so when we get our farm. My 21 yo WB is finally starting to slow slightly and I’d like to get another project going before he retires outright. I’ll be looking for something with a great brain and talent for the jumpers and maybe a little eventing.

Canter CO will be my go to :smiley: