Unlimited access >

Where have all the coloured show shirts gone

Even mesh coats are still coats. Breathable, yes, but an extra layer of fabric and material that is not necessary.

I’ll be honest, this is a pet peeve of mine. When coats are “waived”, they should actually be banned. It is a health and safety issue, heatstroke is a real thing and can kill. Especially when it happens around 1,200 lbs + animals.

When it is that hot, no jackets should be permitted, full stop. Remove the option and remove the ability of pros to pressure people into wearing their coats for the look.

15 Likes

Style hero.
That is all.

1 Like

I seem to recall in the 90s, at a really nice two-day un-rated show, wearing a polo in the children’s hunters as it was super hot, jackets were waived and other people were doing it in the hunter divisions.

1 Like

Yep. I love everything about that pic @2bayboys. I will be glad to join you in the charge except that the only part I have is colored shirts. I have GOT to find a pair of rust breeches…

2 Likes

Just to clarify, that would be against the rules at USEF shows. From the rule book:

Attire
HU 107.4. Inappropriate attire. When management permits Hunter or Hunter Seat Equitation riders to ride without jackets, riders must wear traditional, short, or long-sleeved riding shirts with chokers or ties. Polo shirts and full chaps are not permitted except in unjudged warm-up classes. Management or Judge may eliminate an exhibitor who is inappropriately attired.

1 Like

Well, yes. I certainly wasn’t advising people go out and risk getting eliminated and probably should’ve added boiler plate myself :slight_smile:

But to reiterate, it was un-rated, perhaps-probably only local association-recognized/affiliated. As I also recall, called a “schooling show” which I got a kick out of at the time, coming from seriously humble, backyard origins. It was deeper waters than I had ever been in :slight_smile:

Edited for thinking through…

4 Likes

I’ve seen them referred to as “brick” and also once on Etsy (old Devon Aires) referred to as some wine-related color. Etsy I can get as it was a non-horsey vintage-y shop. But wherever I’ve seen “brick,” I’ve gotten the feeling of the wheel being reinvented more hip-ly :joy: … probably looking at you, Instagram.

1 Like

So glad to see I am not alone in this topic! I am sitting here sad that I had sold my old shirts with the embroidered ratcatchers and made room for all the white, only to be wishing I held onto them now…

Such wonderful suggestions and photos in this thread - I hope that we start to see these beautiful in the updated tech fabrics! This past weekend I bought a new show shirt and when I washed it, the coloured side panels bled and died the centre of the shirt a soft pink (from white)… I was going to complain to the company about it, but maybe I will just hold onto it as is…

Maybe some company will hear us, putting it out into the universe!

I think the overall design of modern tech show shirts may require fabric facing in the cuffs and wrap collar to help those parts have a certain stiffness. But that still doesn’t preclude using the other colors that are available in tech fabrics. I may have to make a few inquiries and make a nuisance of myself. :sunglasses:

@2bayboys Your pretty photo brought back memories. Rust breeches. :cry:

1 Like

I respect what you are saying, but I would say this differently.

If it is too hot for me to do moderate intensity exercise in a hunt coat, it is too hot for my horse to do vigorous exercise in his own coat.

This will vary depending on your horse, but I think it’s a barometer worth considering.

I am not the biggest fan of colorful show shirts (though I do love a good contrasting lining in the coat) but I have a beautiful cream-colored ratcatcher with a peach windowpane. It was purchased to match my French blue hunt coat which also had a peach windowpane. The coat is long gone- it was pried out of my hands when my mother informed me it did not fit and I couldn’t go out like that as I was embarrassing my horse- but I happily wear it with my tech fabric washable navy coat. Of course, on one ratcatcher collar it has my initials in peach embroidery, but that is the collar I lost at some point between my junior career and my amateur career…

I would be delighted to wear rust breeches, but my horse is a red bay and it would clash.

2 Likes

@Renn_aissance, bays look good in all colors. I am an authority on this. Once, in college, I got my dark bay horse ZEBRA PRINT polo wraps. My trainer at the time said “ONLY Grant could pull off something like that.” I’ve become more conservative with my accessories since then.

I, for one, would be happy to have some color back in our shirts. Not crazy bright colors, but a light pink/blue/peach colored shirt would look nice. I used to have the most lovely peach colored shirt i wore with a brown coat. In fact, i recently washed one of my white show shirts with something I should not have and it is no longer very white. I am considering dying it just because.

:rofl:

Tip gets very RED bay at some points of the year, and rust is just not his color. Neither is burgundy. I did try, because both are good colors for me. Alas.

However, your horse would look lovely in rust, and your peach shirt, and your brown coat.

1 Like

You guys know that you can wear these shirts now right? Just do it :smiley: Maybe not to a bigger show, but definitely to anything unrated!

I wore a light pink ratcatcher from ye olde crossover days when RJ Classics was making them in tech fabrics to a show 2 years ago. I guess you could say I was feeling particularly curmodgeonly as I was showing in the Jack Benny (40+) division for the first time. This year I may indulge in a striped shirt with monogrammed choker :upside_down_face: I figure anyone in an older adult division who can still wear a shirt from her junior days should rock that shirt with pride! :rofl:

5 Likes

We were at really hot show a couple of years ago and they waived jackets before the short stirrup under saddle.
The in gate person was actually insisting on jackets being removed before the kids went in the ring. It was great to see.

5 Likes

I’ve found a great justification for adding onto my colored shirt and non- solid black/navy jackets: Foxhunting!! The formal season is all black coat with white shirt, but the informal season has lots of leeway to be creative and colorful. I wear my old RJ or GP jackets in brown or gray or green. I pair it with blue or purple or pink shirts. I can even wear a colorful stock if I want more accent than just the ratcatcher choker.

I will keep my 80s and 90s show clothing collection until death! I loved wearing my medium gray w/ pink lining and windowpane GP jacket, pairing it with a pale pink shirt, on my gray mare. If I was showing these days, I’d still love to rock that look on the Thursday/Friday schooling divisions.

For those wondering where to buy: consignment stores, used tack sales, and even FB ads.

3 Likes

Admit I’m popping over from the dark side, because while I event, you have better clothes and tack! Am I TOO old school to wish not just colors but cotton shirts would come back? I hate the feel of technical fabrics. (Also I’ve been known to wear my particularly lucky ones to court - not with the collar, obviously)

3 Likes

I have started browsing ebay but so far nothing in my size or in any color I can use. There are some new old stock/unworn ones in pretty colors listed right now, but they are a smaller size. :disappointed_relieved:

Amanda Steege has been wearing a gingham show shirt this spring… saw it in a Devon photo too that I now can’t find. Honestly it looks like an old school cotton ratcatcher.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaGfySlrv8f/

6 Likes

I was going to post that here and see if anyone knew what brand it is! I’m going to guess maybe Winston?

While I don’t think I can rock this in the hunter ring, I did just get a new jumper coat that I am very excited to pair with rust breeches: https://www.somersetequestriantrading.com/collections/espoir/products/espoir-lightweight-show-jacket-grey. If some intrepid COTHer can come up with a light blue (or another color shirt) that would pair with it, I will volunteer as tribute. (Also looking forward to wearing it with whites on classic day!)

1 Like

Just remember that if the class calls for Formal Jumper Attire your shirt must have a white collar and cuffs. And there are limits on the color of breeches for Proper Jumper Attire. Although how much this is policed in the jumper ring probably depends on the venue and judge.

a. Formal Jumper Attire. Dark, muted or similar colored, or red (scarlet) coats are required; team or sponsored coats of different colors are also permitted; white or fawn breeches; a white tie, choker (unless the shirt, by design, has the choker built in for its intended use) or hunting stock, and a white or lightly colored shirt must be worn. Shirts must have a white collar and white cuffs. Shirts must be fastened at the neck and tucked into breeches. Boots are required. Half chaps are permitted as long as the color matches the paddock boots being worn. Members of the Armed Services or the police may wear the service dress uniform with protective headgear. (See General Rules, GR801.2)

b. Proper Jumper Attire. Coats of any color are required. Breeches must be light color (white, fawn or canary). Pastel and dark colored breeches are not allowed. Shirts, light in color, must be tucked into breeches and fastened at the top of the neck. Ties or chokers of any color must be worn (unless the shirt, by design, has the choker built in for its intended use). Boots are required. Half chaps are permitted as long as the color matches the paddock boots being worn.

c. Standard Jumper Attire. Coats are not required. Breeches of any color are permitted. Shirts (polo shirts are permitted) must have collars and sleeves (sleeves may be either long or short), and must be tucked into breeches. Sleeveless shirts and shirts with exposed hoods are prohibited. Boots are required. Half chaps are permitted as long as the color matches the paddock boots being worn.