Unlimited access >

Which business major would be more logical to major in?

OP… as suggestion you may want to fill out for an application for Internship Notification - Churchill Downs Incorporated and its Entities (Various Locations, US)…

here is the link
http://churchilldownsincorporated.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/jobskey.cfm?s=incorporated#16338

I used to work for one of the shareholders of the Downs, the group uses a interns and promotes from within

Fortunately, as a junior in high school, you don’t have to decide right now. Most universities that have great business programs will offer a range of focuses. And if you go in as a business major, you will probably have to take a wide variety of classes during your first 2 years. After you’ve taken those courses, you can decide how you want to finish your degree.

Unless you really fall in love with an ag or other specialized program, I highly recommend going to a university that has the best program you can get into, that you can afford without killing yourself with debt (which will nearly permanently exclude you from a career in horses), and that has nearby access to horses and training programs what you can lesson from or work with during the year or during your first two summers.

Then graduate and take the traditional career path. Don’t do horses. Spend 2-4 in a the professional world. Then, and only then, if you decide horses are the only thing for you, join the horse industry. The 2-4 years won’t make much of a difference, and the horse world could use more people coming from professional backgrounds. It’ll help you learn your worth, gain skills, and truly know what your other options are if/when you decide to leave the horse industry. Or, you may find that you love getting a paycheck so you can actually afford to ride and compete.

If you want to have a small fortune in the horse business, better start with a large fortune!

That said, the business world can be a real soul sucker. Stop and think about how you want each day to look. Do you want to live in cube land? What do you like to do? Is it OK if every day is the same or will you get bored? There are lots of career options. Really take a long look at your interests and find the best match that will pay for your life and horses down the road.

I find that my business degree was very versatile.

When I started college I was 100% convinced I wanted to run a barn and majored in Business Administration with a specialization in Equine Business Management.
It was great! So much horse knowledge and business knowledge rolled into one!

And when I realized I would be a terrible barn manager I was able to use my business admin degree to get my foot in the door at a law firm and am now doing pretty okay for a horse poor twenty something!

Basically, always have a backup plan. :smiley: