Unlimited access >

Which lumber do you prefer for stall walls?

I’m an oak fan too.

Previous barn had one stall with a removable wall (u-channels and boards) and yes, the 2"X12"s are really heavy.
If you think you’ll be removing them yourself, go for the 2"x10"'s, it does make a big difference.

PT lumber. I also have bars across the front of stalls. Horses haven’t really chewed it. I have 2 12x12 stalls and the wall that divides them was put on sliding stalldoor hardware. The entire wall just pushes back against one wall to create a foaling stall. Wall is pinned into which ever position you are using. Really awesome design, super easy. No taking out heavy boards and than having to store them somewhere. I will try to post a picture later.

We have smooth southern yellow pine T&G boards on all 4 sides of the stalls. We have not had any problems with horses getting a hold of them with their teeth, and there is no warping. We can remove the divider walls from a channel to double the stall size.

If cost is not a concern, then I think oak is your best choice. I used a combination of T&G pine and spruce. The stalls are about 10 years old and I haven’t had any trouble with warping or chewing. With bars on the top 1/2 of the stalls, there’s really nothing for them to get their teeth on. However, they have chewed the casings on the exterior door openings (which are easily replaced) and around the window casings.

Here is a picture of the Sliding wall hardware (I hope)

Barn october 25 027 (640x480).jpg

Pics of pin which holds wall in place. These are on both sides of wall, top and bottom. Please excuse the cobwebs :slight_smile:

Barn october 25 026 (800x600).jpg

Barn october 25 031 (800x600).jpg

Tasia - 2 questions… I’m still confused as to how you “slide” your divider wall, and where you slide it to? maybe b/c its 2am, I dunno, but I’ve looked at the pictures and I just don’t get it :confused:

second question - where did you get your stall doors?!?! I loff them!

TIA

The wall hangs on sliding stall door hardware. The hardware is hung on the opposite walls in one stall. The wall goes all the way to the floor with maybe a 1/2 inch space between wall and floor. Wall is kept in the center position with 4 pins on either side. Just pull the pins and the entire wall slides back against the opposite wall, pin against the wall. Turns 2 stalls into one large one. This was my barn builders idea and it worked out really well!! I will try to get better pics for you :slight_smile:

If you are doing a center aisle barn, this worked out really well also. I had the builder recess the center of the aisle about 3/4 of an inch and about 6 feet wide and we placed rubber mats down the aisle. Easy to clean and really comfy. You just have to screw down the mats on either end and every thing stays in place. Once you put the mats in the entire aisle is level. This is a 14 foot aisle, room for trunks and horses :slight_smile:

Barn october 25 018 (800x600).jpg

My barn builder ordered the doors. Love that I can have horses heads out, or there is an insert that slides in and keeps heads in. It’s so nice to design a barn the way you want it. I used a lot of others peoples great ideas :slight_smile:

I used 2x6 pine. Treated for the bottom 3 boards, regular for the rest. Easy/cheap to replace a board if necessary (though in 3 years, I’ve never had to.)

[QUOTE=tasia;5178554]
PT lumber. I also have bars across the front of stalls. Horses haven’t really chewed it. I have 2 12x12 stalls and the wall that divides them was put on sliding stalldoor hardware. The entire wall just pushes back against one wall to create a foaling stall. Wall is pinned into which ever position you are using. Really awesome design, super easy. No taking out heavy boards and than having to store them somewhere. I will try to post a picture later.[/QUOTE]

I’m looking at the pictures, and not seeing how this works.

Is the metal tube at the top the sliding hardware? Sliding doors generally go forward and back. Looking at the picture of the two stalls, how and where does the middle wall swing?

Thanks!

Tasia, what a pleasant looking barn interior and field beyond!

Tasia…that’s what I’m planning on doing with my barn aisle too. But my flooring now is packed processed stone (really deep) and the mats slightly overlap here and there which is really annoying. I need to make a mold around the exterior of the aisle to pour concrete and then the mats will fit down the center. However I don’t think I can do as wide a concrete edge…I’m going to try for a 1’ concrete border with 10’ mat down the center.

I’d love to see how your center walls slide too. I’ve seen stall systems where the center walls are on hinges at the back barn wall and pinned to the front that swing to create a single stall. I can’t picture how a sliding one would work. Very coool idea fom your barn builder.

I tried to get better pics this am, but I have someone bodyclipping. Didn’t think she would appreciate me climbing up the hay bales in opposite stalls. Ok, so the sliding hardware is on opposite walls and the stall wall is clamped with brackets. I think the barn builder just turned the clamp a different direction so the entire wall can slide. I hope the pics help, I know I’m not explaining this well. Once you understand it though, it’s soooo simple. One of those aaha moments.

Stall Pics 004 (800x600) (2).jpg

Stall Pics 004 (800x600) (800x600) (2).jpg

Stall Pics 005 (800x600) (800x600).jpg

Stall Pics 006 (800x600).jpg

There are 2 sets of sliding rail on either side of stall. Hope this helped :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=wsmoak;5179471]
I’m looking at the pictures, and not seeing how this works.

Is the metal tube at the top the sliding hardware? Sliding doors generally go forward and back. Looking at the picture of the two stalls, how and where does the middle wall swing?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yes, Metal tube at the top is one of the tracks, matching one on opposite wall. There is a wheel dohicky (technical term) clamped to the sliding wall on either end. The sliding wall hangs from dohicky. Everything is held in place by 2 foot long pins. Two pins, top and bottom on each side of wall when stall wall is in center position. just pull the pins and push the wall back to far side wall. Pin wall in place and you have a double stall.

[QUOTE=appytoo;5179473]
Tasia, what a pleasant looking barn interior and field beyond![/QUOTE]

Thank you so much. I love this farm. I bought it about 10 years ago and there was nothing on it, just 10 acres. I got to design it the way I wanted :slight_smile: I had a fantastic barn builder, wish he had done my house. Also used other peoples great ideas:yes:
Posted Pics of the view from the house and the outside of barn. The farm looks larger than it is since we have other farms on 3 sides.

view 001 (800x600).jpg

Stall Pics 001 (800x600).jpg

[QUOTE=jump4me;5178205]
Oak.

Any time I’ve seen pine used, even TIG, the horses always manage to gnaw it up. Worse if you’re planning to leave space between the boards, but even for a smooth wall they love to chew it up. Even my pair of beavers don’t touch the oak :lol:[/QUOTE]

I use a stall system where you drop the pine TIG in slots, then drop a grill with metal bars spaced 4" apart on top. The metal grill has a ‘lip’ on the bottom that sets on top of the pine TIG and also slides into the same channel that the boards do.

So 4’ of pine TIG, then metal grill. They can’t get to the pine boards at all. I’ve built two barns this way - one is 15 years old – and absolutely no chewing at all - and the walls stay very square with no warping. The tongue in groove makes it much stronger than individual boards. And since the vertical wall lies so flat, since it’s almost essentially one piece - they can’t get their teeth onto it.