Unlimited access >

Who rides in a western saddle and what brand do you prefer?

[QUOTE=UrbanHennery;5876099]
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6072/6092981767_18c5ec0c75_b.jpg

I had a Crates for a while because it was the only thing that fit my crazy paint. I never found it all that comfortable and wouldn’t buy another except in the same situation.[/QUOTE]

Funny we have a CRates and I do not like it (fits one horse). Would not buy another but LOVE the Circle Y!!!

Love my Circle Y & recently after waiting and waiting and waiting I got my son a Circle Y- http://www.leakycreek.com/modules.php?set_albumName=new&id=Lu_Lu_4_30&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I’d heard bad things about some of the pony saddles and figured I wanted to get him something that was quality (used) and would keep a re-sale value or could even be re-cycled if he ever has kids.

Billy Cook Original barrel saddle-from Oklahoma- comfortable, secure, economical and well made- no bling

I have had several in my lifetime but the best was a vintage Circle Y. It seemed to fit the most horses. I assume it was the old rawhide bound tree in it, seemed to fit all of them well. Next in line was my old Simco. It was also a vintage saddle. It was old when I got it and it went on to another lady and is still in use. When you get one that fits you and the horses it is a good saddle.

I have had quite a few western production saddles. My favourite so far (who says I can’t get a few more?!) is my Billy Cook Pro Reiner. It is very close contact, has a leather, not suede seat, and low horn. It seems to fit any of the horses I have tried it on including my Morgan who is a little hard to fit. It is really comfortable on long trail rides and the low horn makes it easier to duck under low branches. I plan to use it for Western Dressage.

I have two favorite saddles, five saddles total.

My favorite is my Double J roping saddle. It’s a nice enough ride for roping or barrels, very secure but not restricting my ability to get up out of the saddle. Very nice quality saddle, it fits my horse and myself. You can’t ever beat a saddle that fits both. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/DontBelieveInMe/saddle001.jpg

My second favorite is my Billy Cook (Sulphur, OK) roping saddle. Very comfortable to ride in, nice secure seat, and just a solid saddle. The only two problems are 1) the stirrups don’t adjust short enough to feel secure and 2) it doesn’t fit my current horse. I got it for a great price and will probably hold on to it. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/DontBelieveInMe/60.jpg

Third on my list would be my Corriente roping saddle. Inexpensive saddle and not made of the highest quality material, but it’s a great value for the price. Probably one of the best cheap saddles I’ve bought over the years. https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184993_10150149386862354_617097353_8175734_4825272_n.jpg

Fourth is a Circle S barrel saddle, it’s cheap and only comes in Semi Quarter bars. The leather finally broke in after 5 months of hard daily riding, and it’s comfortable. Not too bad for a $500 new saddle. http://www.montgomerysaddlesandtack.net/1012131415circlesbarrelracingsaddle-1-1.aspx

Last is my old Simco trail saddle. Only reason it’s last on my list is because it is old, it is dry rotted in spots, and it’s small with an uphill feel. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/DontBelieveInMe/cody_001.jpg

My two old favorite saddles before the roping phase started were my Nathan Lamb barrel saddles. I had one in a 13" with a narrower tree and a 14" with a wider tree. Wonderful saddles, but my bum outgrew them after a few years and pounds. I regret selling them.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/DontBelieveInMe/sale_017.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/DontBelieveInMe/saddles_100.jpg

We have two Frecker’s Brannaman saddles and absolutely love them. They are all day comfortable and fit every horse we have.

http://www.freckerssaddlery.com/

I ride in a Textan flex tree trail saddle. Absolutely love it and it fits my gelding great. I started riding with a wool seat saver and that made a world of difference with me getting sore from longer rides.

My husband has a Circle Y park & trail custom flex tree. Fits all our horses great. I personally don’t like riding in it as it has an A pommel and I just don’t feel as secure in it. Hubby loves it.

I also have a no name barrel saddle I picked up at an auction that fits all our horses. It use to be my main trail saddle, but now it’s just used when we have friends riding with us.

My husband bought a Billy Cook roping saddle a few years ago for $100 from a coworker. VERY comfortable saddle, but the stirrups don’t go short enough for me and it’s very heavy. It fits our paint mare great, but is a little long in the back our other horses. It mostly sits as decoration anymore since our other saddles are much lighter and we opt for them for trail riding.

We have an old King Series that we use for kids when they come out and ride. It fits all our horses pretty good and the stirrups go up super short. Picked it up for $25 at an auction and hate to part with it since it’s easy to throw on a horse getting started under saddle and it works for kids to use.

Last saddle I have is a 1940’s JC Higgins hard seat saddle that belonged to my grandpa. It’s in our house on display now and hasn’t been used in years.

I’ve had many other saddles that have come and gone.

1994 Circle Y Park and Trail. I LOVE that saddle and it is worth more now than when I bought it in 1998. Beautiful and so comfy. I just which I had a big stout QH for it to fit since it is too wide for my current boys.

Let’s see…I have a Teskey training saddle that was very reasonably priced (around $1,000), sturdy, but HEAVY. VERY HEAVY. It has full QH bars, but I’ve used it on several different horses, including a couple of short, bulldog-type QHs, my 7/8 Arabian gelding, a very TB-type Appendix QH, and a more QH-type Appendix QH. I varied the pads according to the horses’ needs, but the saddle seemed to work well on all of these horses:
http://www.merrickstudios.com/Events-07/ECR-Finals/Allott_Jennifer/photos/dscf9680.jpg

I have been very impressed with the quality of this saddle in relation to its pricing. The ONLY thing I would change about it would be its weight–but then again, one of the things that makes it a good, versatile saddle is that it’s sturdy and can stand up to some work, like roping–that is, IF there was ever any chance that I might actually rope something, catch it, and want to dally! The only thing I’m likely to actually catch with a rope would be either myself, or my horse’s ears!

I also have a Dale Chavez show saddle, Arabian tree, and shorter from front to back to accommodate the shorter backs that many Arabians have:
http://www.merrickstudios.com/Events-07/ECR-Finals/Allott_Jennifer/photos/dscf6370.jpg

(This photo was taken 1 stride after a jump, thus, the two-point position and the “Ay-rab tail”!)

I’ve used the Dale Chavez on a variety of horses, too–again, varying the pads as the horses’ build has dictated.

Obviously, you can’t make a HUGE change in saddle fit with pads; I’m talking minor tweaking here and there.

My husband has an OLD Circle Y saddle (around 1980 or so?) that belongs to my sister’s husband, who got it at the factory when he was a teenager and it is a great saddle. I have not been impressed with the quality of the newer Circle Ys, but maybe that’s just me.

Circle Y will probably always be my favorite. Alas, my mare’s western saddle is an Abetta, and her western sidesaddle is an Escalera (small brand, some guy that works out of a shop I’ve been told).

Wow…I don’t visit here too often, so just noticed the ‘Western’ forum…YAY! Good to see us ‘cowhand’ types w/ our ‘own place’!
I have been at this a LONG time, so have had several Western saddles, all good ones. First was a “Jumbo”, by Schoelkopf…anyone remember those? It was a youth size(I was 10 and had had my first ‘own’ horse for some time when my uncle gave it to me.) Good ‘mass-produced’ brand.
When I was @ 14, my mother bought me an R.E.Donaho saddlemaker saddle, made in San Angelo,TX. It was also a great saddle, handmade,fulltool, but NO silver(that was WAY before everything ‘dripped’ w/ silver.)

In college and doing barrels and poles in the NIRA, I had a barrel racing saddle, but don’t recall the maker.It was a good little well-made saddle, that I do remember.In the late 60’s, I bought a SUPER light handmade barrel saddle; so tough it survived w/ only ‘ridges’ in the horn cover when my husband dallyed a lariat to it one time(I was NOT amused!) Sold it to an acquaintance in the '90’s, and have been sorry ever since; it was both SUPER lightweight, yet comfortable to ride AND well-made…fiberglass tree, ‘new idea’ when it was built, and pert near ‘one of a kind’.
I had the Donoho until the mid-'70s, at which time I got interested in showing QH and Paint/Pinto and wanted a ‘show saddle’, so I sold the Donohoe(regret doing so), and got a Circle Y equitation w/ buckstitching(the current ‘fad’ of the time). Soon, buckstitching was out of favor, and I sold THAT Circle Y and got another Equitation(input on the design of those came fromm my instructor at the time, Jack Bates of Albuquerque.) They were pretty heavy, and after I lost enthusiam for breed showing(after ‘peanut rolling’ became the ‘norm’) and wanted to ‘just’ trail/pleasure ride, and wanted a lighter saddle, I sold the second Circle Y. I bought an inexpensive Big Horn synthetic. It was OK, but not really what I wanted, and I ordered a Fallis(now built by John, the son of the ‘original’ builder, ‘Slim’ Fallis, who originally worked w/ Monte Foreman); it is reasonably light in weight, handsome,comfortable, and well-made. Took a while to get used to sitting in the ‘middle’ of a saddle, but well-worth it now! I knew @ three other local riders who had Balanced Rides, and they were VERY well-regarded, and ‘snapped up’ if/when one came up for sale; I never heard ANYONE who had an issue with how well-built it was!
If I needed another saddle, I’d buy another Fallis in a heartbeat, but I don’t expect to ever need/want any more saddles, at my age!

Margo in NM(aka olehossgal)

[QUOTE=zipperfoot;5876780]
Fallis Balanced Ride–puts you in the middle of the saddle with your legs under you instead of in a chair seat. Rigged so you don’t have a bunch of stuff under your leg too. I had mine custom made years and years ago. Used ones can be hard to find, but they turn up occasionally. Worth the money.[/QUOTE]

I had a Fallis fetish for a while. I never could find one to buy. I still look from time to time.

Mine are fabulous equitation buckets:

MacPherson, circa 1980

Broken Horn, single skirt medium oil.

I love them. If I got so broke that I had to live in my car, I’d hope it had 3rd row seating for the saddles.

My favorite over all the years is a Vic Bennett. Very comfortable, fits many horses, reasonable weight. For me, it is an all around good saddle. The down side, is the price. I also have a Billy Cook (I believe it is an all purpose). Compared to the Vic Bennett, it is extremely heavy and I don’t find it as comfortable. The price is a definite plus for Billy Cook saddles. I have had Wintecs, which, for little investment, are a great starter saddle or general purpose saddle. They are so lightweight and of course very economical.

CIRCLE “Y” FOR ME ~ ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A ‘COWBOY’ BUT IT DID NOT REALLY WORK OUT ~

JUST FOUND AND PURCHASED A USED CIRCLE ‘Y’ ~ LOVE IT

TOOK MONTHS TO FIND A WESTERN SADDLE I LIKED ~~~ NOT AN EASY ASSIGNMENT

I HAD JUST ‘GIVEN UP !’ AND IT APPEARED :smiley:

BUT HOW DO YOU KEEP THOSE STIRRUPS ON :confused::lol: ~ YES I HAVE IT SET UP WITH A BROOKSTICK TWISTING THE STIRRUPS BUT … SO FAR JUST HAVE TO RIDE WITHOUT STIRRUPS !

ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A ‘COWBOY’ BUT IT REALLY DID NOT WORK OUT :lol:

[QUOTE=wireweiners;5875503]
Mine is a (probably) custom made bear trap saddle made circa 1920’s. It has the name Fay Rucks tooled across the back of the cantle. It’s very comfortable and fits my rather narrow horse quite well. It won’t do for the wide backed haflinger I’m fixing to start though. I lust after a Tucker Old West saddle. It looks like the old fashioned high back saddles but has all the modern conviences.[/QUOTE]

I recently got an Old West and it’s very comfy as well as great looking. I don’t know what it is but as soon as I get my “grail” saddle, I dream up the next one I’d rather have. Now I’m lusting after a black Wade tree. And I’m cheap, and picky. So it’s gonna be a LONG wait!

Agree with other posts about Circle Y saddles. I had a 1980s Park and Trail that was a very nice saddle. Bought a flex tree model #1551 in 2007 and promply sold it–was not very nice and it sored my horse instantly.

I briefly had a JC Martin A-fork, slick loop saddle that I could not get to fit any horse we own, the tree curved up in the back like a banana. The guy I sold it to on eBay loved it and reported being a happy camper. It was so great looking and I loved the way it rode. It was one of those saddles that felt like coming home, and that I could not fall out of. Sigh…

I have a Simco John Lyons saddle that is pretty nice and I think quite rare. For some reason it just bores me. So lots of saddle opinions for a primarily english rider! Glad to see this fun new forum.

Tucker!

Tried a synthetic from Equestrian International (nice, but something wasn’t quite right) and didn’t even stay on for 10 minutes. Took it back and walked out with my Tucker and haven’t regretted that move in years.

Yay for a western forum! I have had 2 Oklahoma made Billy Cooks, a pro reiner and a pleasure saddle. Didn’t find the quality of either of them that great. I now have a Dale Chavez pleasure saddle. It is pretty but not super comfy and doesn’t hold you in place like some equitation saddles. Maybe I will like it better when it is more broken in.

I have a K & S Saddlery made saddle, right here in the PNW. Looks similar to the first one here:

http://www.kandssaddlery.com/products.php?category=3

Mine is darker and has an “A” fork and doesn’t have that type of tooling and has a bigger, flatter horn. It was custom made for a woman who didn’t like it so I bought it somewhat used. It is so comfortable and fits my 2 quite well. The only thing I don’t like it doesn’t have crupper dees.

Also have a very old Big Horn. It’s very heavy, full 1/4 bars, buckstitching, and has wild rose tooling with a large horsehead tooled in on each fender. I used this before I got my K & S but now we use it as a training saddle or a spare.

DH has an Imus 4 beat saddle that he adores. Nice saddle but I don’t care for black western tack.

Circle Y that is 25+ years old for everyday. Blue Ribbon for show.
Huntseat saddle is Beval Natural. All sit me so that I do not have to fight to be balanced.