Unlimited access >

Who was your favorite trainer?

What a great thread. So I’d like to pay homage to 2 trainers who not only gave me opportunities but shaped my life. First, Carol Wilson Klima. As a “would do anything to learn” junior, I was fortunate to take lessons and then spend a summer living at her little farm in central Ohio and doing everything from horse chores to garden chores to ride. Under Carol, my thing was equitation and she coached me and put amazing basics on me to progress beyond the COSCA circuit. She found the horse who took me to the Maclay finals in 1974 and 1975. At that point, I’d moved to riding with Howard Lewis at the Chagrin Valley Hunt Club, and they showed the A circuit in that area. Mr Lewis put me on every horse that needed ridden in the barn—from problem horses that no one would ride to a puissance-level jumper (will love you forever Jaws!) and enabled me to progress to where I could compete on the A circuit. I’ haven’t had the opportunity since to take clinics, but I still ride—not at that level!. Carol and Mr. Lewis absolutely anchored my life.

3 Likes

I was never in full training with him but Bill Steinkraus was by far my favorite. I worked on his (or rather his wife’s) estate and he’d give us barn workers a lesson from time to time. Very encouraging and inspirational. Also audited a Denny Emerson clinic and a Michael Page, Denny was pretty humorous as I recall. The Denny clinic was held behind the Page’s house in North Salem, NY, he had a little cross country course out there.

1 Like

Prefer not to mention names, but I found that most top trainers/riders do not do much talking or hand holding. They meet you at the show’s warm up pocket ask about your flat work preparation . Then if you need too many jumps to prepare for the class you are returned to the stabling facility.