Unlimited access >

Who would use a saddle fitter?

The best fitter I ever met was a lady who was trained in England, worked for several years for Bates, and then moved here. She actually knew what she was about. Sadly, most of the others I’ve met fall into Trak’s pattern. Since fitters, like farriers and whole bunch of other non-licensed professionals, have no real mandatory professional standards for either their training or application of their skills this is a real “buyer beware” area.

The “fitter” who works for a company will try and sell you their company product. That’s only natural. If it’s a premium produce (like Bates, for example) and the seller trains their staff to a high standard then I see no difficulty in using them. If the saddle is just not right, no matter how well it fits, then the buyer can thank them for the their time and try another vendor.

The independent fitter is not tied to a company but also does not have the benefit of company sponsored training. A buyer will have to engage their services separately (by the job or by the hour) and this will add to the cost of the saddle. Many buyers do not budget for this. Many buyers also seem to follow the rule that says “you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince.” The Good News is that having a fitter involved early on might focus the buyer on a specific type, or even brand, of saddle. It would also eliminate some of the “my horse is hard to fit” arguments by demonstrating that it’s not; or, in the rare case that it is, verify that but also give direction in type of saddle to look for. The Bad News is that this process could still mean multiple visits and a higher cost. If the dollar amount is constant then dollars that might go to the saddle end up with the fitter. This still might be OK if the fitter does their job well. If they don’t then it’s money “down the tubes.”

Saddle fit is important, but so is proper farriery, nutrition, fencing, etc. It has to be part of the whole horse.

G.

[QUOTE=Pennylane;7816059]
Thanks for all the answers!

Mvp- I will sell saddles, but I will not be affiliated with one specific brand. . . I will also take on nice used saddles for sale.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but imagine the inventory you’ll need and the accounts you’ll need with all those manufacturers in order to have a trailer full of saddles to show your clients. The thing that is killing everyone-- from reps with companies to local tack shops and to independent fitters-- is the enormous cost of inventory.

OTOH, the person who could combine a consignment business with a high-quality, brings-the-big-a$$-trailer-of-saddles-to-try, might have a viable business plan.

These guys in California come close to what I’m imagining:
http://www.saddlesthatfit.com

MVP-
You hit the nail on the head. My husband and I are opening (attempting to open), a tack shop. One that caters to all price points in the English world. I don’t want to fall into the advertising category, so haven’t mentioned it. Our goal is to open at the first of the year.

This is the opportunity we’ve been looking for to be self employed. I have worked for big healthcare companies and hated it, I have been an assistant trainer, gotten certified in equine massage, trained in using the magnawave and then worked independently teaching and training horses and using my additional training on clients’ horses. I’m am well versed in equine anatomy and the variations in conformation common amongst different breeds.

Saddle fitting training is expensive, and time consuming, not to mention setting up a mobile van etc to get to clientele and be well stocked. We are investing nearly everything to make our dreams come true, but I do not want to follow the saddle fitting route if it doesn’t make financial sense. I love making horses and riders happy, but I can’t do it for free. . .

From the advice I have received here, it sounds like people would want an educated independent fitter, that is what I’m hoping to become. I have been in contact with the brands I’m interested in carrying (some brands only work with their “fitters”), and have received a great response from them, but they are selling products, so I take their enthusiasm with a grain of salt. That is why I asked here! You guys are not afraid to speak up!

Lastly, would you guys go to a group fitting? Not all together per se, but an all day affair at a local farm, where 5-7 people have appointments and get fitted? Also, would you haul somewhere to be fitted if it saved you money on the fitting itself? TIA

If you offered this:
https://www.fine-used-saddles.com/saddles/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=446&idcategory=83

it could be a big help to those who are further away and looking for a saddle.

I have seen those! I think they would be great for long distance consults! They’re not cheap, but they ensure that I would have an accurate representation of the horse’s back.

[QUOTE=Pennylane;7817035]
Lastly, would you guys go to a group fitting? Not all together per se, but an all day affair at a local farm, where 5-7 people have appointments and get fitted? Also, would you haul somewhere to be fitted if it saved you money on the fitting itself? TIA[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would go to or coordinate (at my barn) a group fitting, although I would have to consider other factors regarding hauling somewhere. Things such as cost savings, distance, my schedule, etc…

[QUOTE=Pennylane;7817035]
MVP-
Lastly, would you guys go to a group fitting? Not all together per se, but an all day affair at a local farm, where 5-7 people have appointments and get fitted? Also, would you haul somewhere to be fitted if it saved you money on the fitting itself? TIA[/QUOTE]

I have and would continue to do group fittings. We did this with an independent fitter, who brought a trailer of various consignment and new saddles, and I’ve done it several times by traveling to a neighboring barn to meet up with a <brand> rep. I will never go to one of those again, but that is brand-specific and based on the awful experience I had with them.

I would be very willing to travel especially if I was looking for a saddle and had the opportunity to “shop off the truck” so to speak.

I’ve had consistently good results getting saddles fitted and restuffed by actual saddlers who make saddles, and wildly erratic results from saddle fitters who come to you.

I’ve been putting off getting it done again for a while now because you don’t know for a week or two if they’ve made it better or worse.

My experiences with fitters has been mixed also. . . I am going to try and stay reasonably close to my home base (within 4-5 hours in each direction), so that if for some reason a saddle isn’t working and may need a small adjustment, I can get to them quickly. I also want to set up some sort of program that makes it possible to see clients/saddles/horses twice per year. . . Maybe I charge a discounted rate up front for both visits. . . I haven’t quite figured it out. But I have found having a saddle evaluated in recurring intervals and making minor adjustments here and there, is easier than waiting until you have a sore horse or an obviously in need of repair saddle.

Keep the great ideas coming! I really appreciate it!