Unlimited access >

Why are you still having lessons?

If I had had the quality of training that is now available to me when I was young, I would ride so very much better. So after multiple decades, I feel like I have lessons to catch up!

9 Likes

100% agree.

I really only show if a horse needs a resume to build or maintain its value. The joy for me is getting access to all the cool stuff we can do together - I donā€™t need to do it in front of a judge.

Would much rather spend the money on clinics.

1 Like

Well, I did enjoy showing when I was jumping, because I often ran our associationā€™s shows, and spent days setting and resetting courses. It was nice to have someone else set a course for ME once in a while!!

2 Likes

I very much agree with this ā€¦

In fall 2019 I moved to a new barn and then Corona hit and nearly every equestrian activity was stopped. It was very lonesome and horrible.

at the state-stud across the street a new trainer just started. Nobody knew her and she had no students because it was not allowed to trailer your horses to lessonsā€¦. so she came to my barn to give me lessonsā€¦. She had no students and I had literally no chance to train with another trainerā€¦.
I took a lot of lessons because she was available and I was bored to death because of Coronaā€¦. Everybody was making fun of me for wasting my money because I am an elderly adult.

But at this point, I can say these numerous lessons were amazing for myself and my horse. Both of us are in better shape now then ever.

today I rode Piaffe Passage transitions and it worked only because the trainer helped me with itā€¦. I was able to do Piaffe and also to do Passage in the past but combining them is another level for meā€¦.

Thatā€™s the beauty about Dressage, there is always something you can improveā€¦. And itā€™s so much more fun with a good trainer!!!

10 Likes

@candyappy

Me too. I cadged rides on friends ponies and did rentals when allowed. Ok there was one 6 week session group lesson when I was about 11 where the low rent dude string guy put ten kids on dude horses and chased us around the arena with a long whip so we could try out trot and canter. No instruction.

When I got my horse at 14 I went out trail riding with my friends and after a month of riding every day I no longer needed to hold onto the saddle horn. Then I took bad advice from the girl up the street and taught horse to race. Then I needed to retrain horse to whoa, so I started buying this series of training books at the tack store. After I taught her to whoa we went on to slide, spin, roll back, lead changes, etc.

I basically stopped riding during college. There wasnā€™t an obvious way past bad muddy backyard boarding and creepy sociopath barn owners. I went back to lessons in my 40s. I could still sit a big spook.

I was so lucky I wasnā€™t in the local showbarn as a teen. The BO head trainer went to jail for a very long time while I was in college, heā€™d apparently been a sexual predator since forever. I had no idea.

Iā€™m still very much DIY but I love having access to good trainers.

If I had had access to some quality lessons as a teen, it would have been fantastic.

2 Likes

@meupatdoes I wish I could like this post more than once.

1 Like

Sometimes I think that, but then I think that as a know-it-all teenager, I probably wouldnā€™t have absorbed half of what I absorb from a lesson now in my 40ā€™s.

1 Like

@outerbanks77

Also instruction for kids in all other sports was terrible when I was a teen, it really put me off being around adults. I suppose Iā€™m imagining miraculously finding an instructor that treated me like an adult but that wasnā€™t going to happen.

2 Likes

I take lessons because it helps me not put ā€˜lifeā€™ in front of the activity I love. Iā€™ve struggled with this my whole life. If Iā€™ve scheduled ā€˜me timeā€™ with my trainer, I canā€™t flake. If I schedule ā€˜me timeā€™ with only myself it seems I have a harder time not letting work, home chores, and life get in the way. This sounds lame, but itā€™s honest.

3 Likes

If I felt the need to justify ā€œWhy are you still taking lessonsā€, Iā€™d simply say, ā€œBecause I want to be better than I am todayā€. End of story :slight_smile:

3 Likes

iā€™m taking dressage lessons because i do not know how to do it. Been riding for 60ish years (since i was 7) and have had horses more than half that time. i can ride, but i want to learn more. I want to learn the language of classical dressage and learn how to speak that with a horse. Also, as i age, iā€™m less and less inclined to ride-the-range here alone. So i though something done in a close environment might be a good next step in my horse-life.

4 Likes

Have you thought about a shoulder trainer to help with looking up?
You canā€™t train a horse without eyes on the ground at some point.

Iā€™m starting my first baby and I have a trainer to help me with her so Iā€™m not doing it by myself. I would never do that. My baby will also go to a trainer after I officially start her myself. I would like to send my baby to a friend who does professional working equitation when my filly is about ten since I think my kid would do well with some basic training in that discipline, I love working equitation, and my filly has a big brain. I have a few other trainers I wouldnā€™t mind sending my filly to. The trainers specialize in other discipline or have other perspectives on dressage.

Iā€™ve worked with other horses myself under other trainers, but I personally donā€™t feel my education will ever be complete. Iā€™m also not a professional, and while my filly is really good (my barn manager can easily handle her and my vet has complimented my fillyā€™s manners), I donā€™t want there to be any holes. Itā€™s also nice for my trainer to correct my errors so that I can correct my kid.

1 Like