Unlimited access >

Why do people go to horse shows?

I go to horse shows as a competitor because the results usually give me a better idea of whether my horse is actually progressing in their training or not. Going to shows gives me something to work towards and I can set goals that, when achieved, give me a lot of confidence and make want to push for more. I also like to have a little audience to show off our hard work for. What’s the point in putting in work if the barn cats are the only ones who see it? There’s nothing like the feeling of hauling home from a successful show - even if successful just means that we made it out in one piece). Shallowly…I like a good rosette lol.

As a spectator I go to shows because…I like watching pretty ponies do their thing. I’ve learned so much just from watching different disciplines and it’s fun to sit with friends and “judge” the classes ourselves.

4 Likes

I go to see how good a job I am doing bringing young ones along at home and to socialize. I like seeing so many familiar faces all in one place.

I have figured out that I am not a very competitive person. I mostly care about how I do in the ring. Meaning did I make
Good choices for my horses’ sake and did I seem competent. I think I care more
About a score than a ribbon. So I love
Scored hunter classes except when I screw up and they have to announce it :rofl:

2 Likes

I think it’s a combo of things.

1. The community you create with not only not your barn family but the larger circle of barns you show with. There’s few things better than sitting down with a cold beer after a long day of showing with your barn fam.
  2. Validation of all your hard work and the ability to put it to the test.
  3. Further developing a relationship with your horse.
2 Likes

Why do people care so much about winning?

If you’re really interested in the answer to that question, just go to Google and search “Why do people care about winning?” You will find lots of great articles about psychology, sociology, and neurochemistry.

7 Likes

There are a lot of nuances involved in the answer to that question but I think it mostly boils down to the fact that there are obvious biological advantages to being faster and stronger and having a greater will to live than your littermate.

1 Like

was not us but the horses who LOVED the attention of being pinned first and winning championships. We had one mare who had the misfortune of constantly having to compete in a very competitive division where she was often second, she was dishearten until we showed her that a Red ribbon was first place in Canada (she did win her share of classes and championships in multiple disciplines…that first cooler she won cost a pretty penny only to become our dogs’s favorite bedding)

But on the human side, winning or continually being in the top tier did provide a consensus that the horse’s breeding/training was of a high standard

To hang with friends (there’s few things better than the “ktssss” noise of cracking a cold one for a course walk) and because there’s nothing like “3,2,1, you’re now on course, have a good ride” out of the start box

3 Likes

I don’t show much as an adult for a number of reasons. However i can’t see investing the time and money into serious showing especially in disciplines that don’t give comments, unless you and horse were competitive. On the other hand, anything I can do where I’m effortlessly better than everyone else in that group (not riding!) starts to feel pointless.

1 Like

While in high school and several years afterwards I showed because I like to compete? My horse( bought by me at 13 as a weanling at auction) was trained by me alone and I never had a lesson, so I liked to see how we stacked up to those who had more advantages.

I was also fond of watching ( anything BUT Dressage) and would go as a spectator to various shows in my area.

By 24 I was tired of “working” my horse and just preferred to ride on trails and lost my desire to watch showing as well. 30+ years later and nothing has changed.

2 Likes

I LOVE competing. It is a point of training that allows me to see where the holes are that need to be addressed. I consider competition as training days and work that in as part of the overall training program for me and my horse.

The next part is just being with friends and family sharing a common experience. It is no different than how folks who don’t compete share time with their friends and family.

I also pick competitions based on places I’ve never been to or proximity to a site where I conduct my research program.

6 Likes

Oooo I love this thread!

As an AA, I have competed my entire life. When I was a kid I actually wasn’t very competitive…now (maybe because I spend my own money, LOL), I am incredibly competitive. First, with myself and second against others. But I’m truly always happy if I have a clear or double clear performance. If I don’t, it just gives me point of reference to improve upon.

In large part, this is why I LOVE the jumpers. The competitiveness and fun/crafty ways to win AND that you can learn from other riders and know they won because they made x turn or jumped x jump at x angle, not just the fanciest horse or trainer at the gate the judge knows.

I also enjoy the glass of wine and cheering on my friends/barnmates of being an AA. It’s a whole new world being an adult.

5 Likes

Works for combined driving too! And post marathon parties at our campers and horse trailers are the best!

I have competed at a few different disciplines and I can say not all competitions for disciplines are equal in the eyes of the individual. I showed hunters for decades and I liked showing my horses, the actual business of getting to and being in the ring was fun. But being at an h/j show definitely lost its thrill after a while. For me I felt like it was a tad insular, people hung out mostly with their peeps from their barn, which was a lot different from when I first started out. That may be because you don’t have the history amongst competitors that we used to have because it was a lot of the same people, maybe too many people are there with a trainer/barn as part of a program and fewer just meeting the trainer at a show, maybe it’s because shows can be so much larger than ye olde days or all of the above… But it changed what I enjoyed about it (ymmv) so I moved on.

But I still love competition, I found my current disciplines meet my needs so the joy is back full time at horse shows.

If you don’t like competition, given the time and expense I cannot understand why anyone would do it. I think competing is for a certain type of personality, and square pegging that round hole is not a lot of fun! There’s way too many other ways to have fun with horses. But if you break it down and you like competition but you’re not happy competing, it might be the discipline or the place you’re competing at. And that’s not to say in my example that any one discipline is universally bad for all, it’s just that different disciplines may meet different people’s personalities better.

Boy, I’m asking myself the same question after paying all my bills from the last horse show.

$500 to the show office (stall, entries, fees, shavings, tack room split, etc)
$250 to the barn for shipping
$250 to the trainer for coaching/show rides
$400 for hotel, meals, and gas
Plus another $100 in GastroGard and Perfect Prep.

And this was a C show, no braiding, and I did 90% of my own care. Ugh. If my young horse didn’t need these field trips for his education, I would take a big huge PASS on showing.

2 Likes

Same reasoning here Reed! Competition days are now my benchmarking days. See where everything is under pressure, make a checklist of homework and repeat.

Add in the time with people who understand (and maybe appreciate) what you’re doing? Its a good day.

2 Likes

I love to horse show (mostly with a little hate thrown in depending on weather and my performance.)

I’m a competitive person. I love the challenge and that feeling when you lay down an awesome hunter trip. And I learn a lot from the not so great trips!

Plus I love the social aspect. And the “ horse show bubble” that makes you forget about all the problems of the “real world.”

And I love the photos and videos!

I don’t love how expensive it is. I budget $1,900 (excluding food, gas and hotel) per A show. When I add it up for a year, it’s hard to justify. But so far I haven’t been able to quit the addiction. Will probably cut back a bit on another year or so.

1 Like

I feel the pain on this, even our local shows in h/j. I switched to eventing (baby eventing for me, thank you) and I went to 3 shows before I paid what it takes for me just to enter a hj show.

1 Like

@Pennywell_Bay, I’ve definitely considered it! Problem is my horse isn’t the bravest creature. I think the cross country might blow his mind. How did yours adapt?

Why don’t you care about winning?

Same here. I am planning to go to a couple schooling shows but I have no intention of making an entire day or weekend out of it. It’s too exhausting and that is a large part of what wore me out as a teenager. I have always loved to ride because I love to ride. My horse now is a 5 year old saint and is coming along really nicely with training. The only thing I could see us doing competitively is working equitation which is cropping up more and more in my area. Even with that, I still don’t know how invested in showing I want to get; I like horses for the ANTI-stress properties and showing shifts that balance. We will see how the schooling shows go with the stress levels; I will go on my own as well which I hope will be more low key than with an entourage. I get joy out of the day to day working with him the most though!

1 Like