Unlimited access >

Why No Western Saddles Allowed in Regular Dressage?

A flat A/P saddle would be allowed - the requirement is an English saddle. I’ve shown in a A/P.

6 Likes

Good point except all western pleasure horses I’ve seen DON’T move well - mincing jog trot, 4-beat canters - they all look lame.

Reining wouldn’t allow a dressage saddle, so I don’t see why dressage would allow a western saddle.

Heck, next someone will be petitioning to use a dressage saddle in roping (let that sink in a minute). :laughing:

12 Likes

Ah, tried one. Horse hated it🙄

Thanks! I put it in my OP!

@Maude,

I do not know if you have tried this yet, the Corrector pad by Len Brown. You can see it at Len Brown’s Innovations–https://len-browns-innovations.myshopify.com.

I have used this successfully under saddles that just did not fit the lesson horses I ride (Crosby PDN Wide Front, Stubben Siegfried). Before I used it the horses refused to stride out and just were not happy. When I put it on the whole game changed, the horses “told” me they were more comfortable by relaxing the muscles in their shoulders/back and moving much more freely. It does help protect the horse’s back from less than ideal saddles.

It is not cheap. The shims are very, very useful. My riding teacher let me use it on her horses before I got my saddle that adjusts to the horses’ front ends (Pegasus Butterfly). I still use it on occasion, and when I lent my dressage saddle to one of the stables I ride at I included my Corrector that is suitable for 18" saddles.

Admittedly I have not read through this whole thread so maybe this was already suggested or tried, but have you considered a tree-less dressage saddle, or something similar to tree-less?

https://ansursaddle.com/
https://www.dp-saddlery.com/startrekk-saddles

2 Likes

What does that have to do with riding western dressage? Go for it! The only shows that would exclude you based on breed would be AQHA shows, and depending on the show they may actually even have all breeds classes.

I’m actually hoping my horse earns a drop in the bucket towards her upkeep at a show in a couple of weeks that is geared to western riding, has AQHA classes $$$$ and an all breeds class with $$. I’ll be doing it in my dressage saddle … but if I had to do it in a western saddle, I know the one I’d borrow because it feels almost exactly like a dressage saddle. lol

Please note the use of $$$$ and $$ comes from a dressage perspective and is a very relative thing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: However, the last time I showed there, I was pleased to be able to make my fuel money back :slight_smile: Perhaps I can score extra points for piaffing on the podium obstacle? Passaging through the pond?

6 Likes

I think dressage has restrictive rules regarding tack/bits in part out of tradition, but also to try to keep the playing field as level as possible, and to keep it more uniform for judges. I also think it is just part of competitive sport in general that there is the expectation of a uniform/standardization.

I get frustrated that English dressage doesn’t allow bitless. I have a client whose older horse would love to step down to dressage (from jumpers), but he has jaw damage and can’t wear a bit, so unless she does western dressage, she is out of luck…can’t do hunters either. Somehow western dressage judges can judge contact bitless, but english cannot?

It would simplify things if all horse sports were judged on the horse’s way of going/performance rather than the costume worn, but apparently that would be to easy/affordable…

12 Likes

Don’t feel bad, a sage grouse chased me on my horse down a trail. :laughing:

6 Likes

Poor pony :frowning: I sat in one of these https://easyfitsaddles.com/ for half a day and was actually very comfortable and had as much feel of the horse as in a dressage saddle. Might be worth looking at if client has some money to burn on a new saddle that would allow her to show without having to get used to a heavy western saddle and all the weirdness they come with. I was really, really surprised how close-contact it felt. I was prepared not to be able to feel much and was really happy with the 2-way discussion we were able to have.

1 Like

You seem absolutely determined to be able to ride in your western saddle. Here’s the thing - you absolutely CAN ride & do whatever you want in your western saddle. The ONLY thing you cannot do is show at a dressage competition that follows USEF rules.

You can not like it all you want, but if you’ve been at this long enough to earn your bronze & silver medals you well know that competition dressage changes slower than a sloth moves, slower than a iceberg melts, etc… Western saddles are not going to be allowed in a USEF/USDF competition in your lifetime. You’re more than welcome to submit a rule change proposal, but I’d be massively surprised if it went anywhere.

36 Likes

I would never say that out loud in a public forum (it’s not politically correct & it’s unfair to all those enjoying it), but deep inside I tend to share your opinion with my totally uneducated western eye. It might be that the above mentioned horses are afraid of the horrific bits, the weight of those bulky western saddles or simply the level of rider’s proficiency to the point that they simply can’t relax Idk.

4 Likes

Wait, what’s not politically correct about it?

2 Likes

Sorry, but what weirdness?

3 Likes

Such generalization could be perceived as mean to the western folks. I had to google it to check if I used it correctly (not my native language). From wiki Political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated PC) is a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society.

particular groups in society.

That’s the key. “Western horseback riders” aren’t a “group in society” in the context it’s used here. Groups in society would be like women, LGBTQ, lower class, upper class, latino/a, African American, etc.

That’s not to say that making broad generalizations is a good thing and it’s probably best to avoid doing so, but in this case you should avoid doing so because it’s unkind, not because it’s politically incorrect.

1 Like

“an alpaca coming at us full peel. It’s possibly one of the most unnatural looking things you’ve ever seen.”

Pipecleaners with a head. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Maybe a different horse is the answer at this point .

Eta: I don’t mean that to be facetious or glib. It just sounds like a horse that is unhappy with more than one aspect of the job chosen for him. Be it mental or physical.

9 Likes

" My saddle is a working cowboys wade meant to ride in all day long without soring horse or rider. It allows me to sit in the perfect position and I can move and adjust my balance as necessary."

As someone suggested, maybe they could design a dressage saddle for you, or recommend someone who could.

3 Likes

I think it’s important to note that’s pretty much limited to western pleasure and related disciplines. The horses don’t shuffle and lurch around like this is other western disciplines and the saddle can hardly be blamed any more than a saddle seat saddle can be blamed for Big Lick

7 Likes