Will The Jockey Club ever stop requiring live cover?

“Advertisements” for the all-star stallions are more like brag pages; nothing wrong with that. Sort of like “Congratulations to Our Honor Students” pages parents and schools sometimes pay to publish in the local paper.

In some cases I can see where an ad for (an example) No Nay Never might draw a person’s interest to the Coolmore website and thus pique interest in one of their second or third tier stallions who might be more accessible/affordable to that mare owner.

When is an advertisement for any stallion NOT a brag page? Isn’t that the entire point of advertising a stallion? To brag to the world about what they’ve done/what their get have done?

4 Likes

Worth repeating again.

If a TB mare does not get pregnant in a cycle, the owner is only out the vet bills for ultrasound and palpation. Oh well, try again in 14-21 days.

If an AI mare does not get pregnant, you are out $350 in collection and shipping, plus more vet work. If FedEx loses your semen or it arrives after ovulation, that is money and TIME that is lost.

I have so much more faith getting a mare pregnant by hauling her 700 miles from Ocala to Lexington (with foal at side) overnight, than crossing fingers and toes that FedEx will arrive by tomorrow. I’ve done both, and I’ll choose the trailer ride every time… That semen won’t go bad sitting an extra day in his testicles if the mare throws on the brakes and ovulates a day later than expected and needs a double cover.

9 Likes

Don’t forget that the USTA allows AI now. I’m not completely sure how long they have allowed it but I know it is currently allowed.

This is NOT MY Area of Expertise… but you seem to know a lot about it. I recall … years ago when syndication of TBs was just getting started when 40-60 live-bred covers were a full season. There was no overseas shipping. No double seasons for teh stallions. No 200 mares are covered per the two seasons. Season, etc., No TB seems to be doing well without AI. Why would one want to introduce AI into the TB breeding system? What is teh advantage??? How would that affect the cost of yearlings at Keenland, etc?

Perplexed about AI.

1 Like

TYPO “No TB seems to be doing well without AI.” should read " No leading TB seems to be doing poorly without AI."

1 Like

It’s been 25 years at least!

This is what has happened to the QH. Small shows became almost non existent. The industry has changed again and open breed shows are popping up again. I think that you can count on a similar type of thing happen to the TB.

AI will do that much quicker though.

1 Like