Unlimited access >

Winter Feeding

Feeds aren’t not fed at recommended amounts just because it’s not their only feed source. That’s making it about calories.

Recommended feeding amounts are based on what’s needed to “complete” the nutrition the horse needs based on the average quality forage, either in the country in general, or the region more specifically if the feed is either only regional (ie Poulin, LMF) or the company modifies the GA a big depending on the region it’s selling to.

If 3lb of a feed meant to be fed at 5lb for a 1000lb horse fully complimented the hay because you have the hay analysis to show that, then perfect. Most people don’t though, and most hays need more help than not.

If you’re not concerned about 27% sugar+starch, and TE is working for you, keep on.

, it’s more of an additional something for when they are worked hard or might need the extra oomph in their system, like the cold.

feeds aren’t for that, not on sporadic uses. Use them at the same amounts daily, or use something else. Extra oomph when it’s cold is more hay, not hard feed. Working hard today shouldn’t mean a feed, or more of that feed today, it should mean enough calories each day to account for the average amount of work the horse is in.

Ration balancers can be great for the main feed, 1-2lb for your horses (1 is great for each, the1100lb could have 2), with alfalfa pellets or a fat supplement added for an extra calorie boost. That’s an alternative, and likely a lot cheaper than TE.

well this is how it was when we picked up a weanling in eastern North Dakota this spring (in between blizzards)… personally I would get a few more round bales now

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“large”,“data-attachmentid”:10490061}[/ATTACH]

53673338_2212609595465158_1076125642518429696_o.jpg

1 Like

I live in Park City, Utah. While not below zero as often as other posters here, we get pretty extreme conditions. Like many posters here, I base my winter feeding needs on the horses based on age, breed, condition, type of shelter or stall, if using winter blanket, etc. My senior horse was a thin-skinned arab, so he got a blanket if under 20F. My other horses are all built for super cold (from Utah, Idaho and Manitoba). They all do just fine outdoors with a run-in shed.

A good baseline for me is about 18+ lbs grass/alfalfa hay per horse, per day, plus 2+ lbs grain (used to swear by safechoice, but now hard to find locally). If they act hungry or appear to lose condition, we feed more. If we have a bad cold front come through, we feed more.

I also remember my first " Spring" in MN. Mid May and the ground was still frozen. I would get enough hay to last through June .

Oh yea, I’ve lived here for a while, the spring blizzards dont scare me too much