Unlimited access >

Winter Laminitis and cold climates

What type of boots did you use? I’m looking to get a pair for my mini donkey?

I was thinking about this thread last night. We had one of the coldest nights of the past few weeks, with temps dropping quickly after sundown. After looking great for weeks, sure enough, my donkey came in very footsore.

If it wasn’t for our horses, ponies and donkeys getting so sore, the link between temperature fluctuation and symptoms would be fascinating. As it is, it’s just anxiety-inducing. From my sample size of one, it really does seem that the swings in temperature bother her more than it being just plain cold. This is a relief, as it seems like it will be easier to protect her during swings than from sustained cold all winter :crossed_fingers: I hope your donkey finds relief soon.

My mare has been doing well (touch wood) the past few days. She’s happy in her pads, moving better, and tolerating all-day turnout. I started the jiaogulan two days ago, but it is far too early to say that it is having any affect. She doesn’t love it, but will eat it when “uncontaminated” feed doesn’t appear.

Curious if anyone has used red light and/or magnawave to help manage laminitis, specifically in winter? Barn mates horse seems to be having issues.

1 Like

My mini has a pair of Easycare Epics and a pair of Equine Fusion minim boots. The fusions require a bit more dexterity to clip up once they’re on, but I much prefer them. The cable on the epics tends to stretch a lot and the clip gets clogged with snow.

I’m glad to hear that you’re finding ways to manage this for you mare!

I have a Magnawave machine and when I use it on my mare’s front hooves she licks and chews and yawns. It would likely be worth a shot.

1 Like

What does everyone think about the potential for neoprene bell boots to help with this?

I saw a pair of BOT bell boots being advertised on a local FB group, which got me thinking those or just plain neoprene may keep the hooves a bit warmer… mud would still be problematic…

Maybe BOT ones specifically?

Thank you- I just ordered off the Easycare certified used page their easyboots minis! Should be here early next week. :slight_smile:

1 Like