Unlimited access >

Winter riding, horses at home...lets discuss! UPDATE: How's everyone holding up?

Riding? What riding? After another inch of rain overnight I don’t have a horse farm. I have a MUD FARM! Ulch! My trailer has not moved in months. I really need to get some gravel delivered to spread at the corner of the barn which has just enough bit of slope to put you into the fence when it is really muddy, even in spite of four wheel drive, but it needs to dry out some before I can get gravel delivered and it just hasn’t. I think we finally catch a break this weekend for a bit. Here’s hoping. Snow at least would be pretty for a bit.

At least we haven’t had extended hard freezes which makes everything worse. I feel for you all that have that to contend with on top of mud and/or snow. Winter just sucks. If it weren’t for the crazy politics, Florida would be very appealing.

2 Likes

I got a handful of rides in Dec, Jan, and in the snow in Feb. But I mostly gave up on any serious winter riding years ago and just accept that my horse and I will have several months off each year. It sucks, but without an indoor, a groomed ring with drainage, or trails off my property, it’s just not feasible to stay in work. I look forward to April when hopefully the snow and mud will be gone.

I was just thinking that moving forward (until I build an indoor) I need to just plan on taking January and February off. I have a ring and trails, but even so, when everything is covered in snow and ice it’s still impossible to ride. Oh well…the horses seem thrilled with their extended vacation and honestly, I haven’t really minded the break either.

1 Like

This winter has been the least I have ever ridden in 25 years, and it’s not for a lack of time or wanting to ride. The weather and subsequent footing have been atrocious. 2020 was the 4th wettest for our area since they started keeping records in the late 1880’s and 2021 seems to be telling 2020 “Hold my beer!” My mud needs to dehydrate!

1 Like

I was doing pretty well at about 4 rides each week. Enough to keep us both in shape.

Then we had three weeks off barring a couple of bareback hacks in the snow.

But now we’re getting back at about 4 days a week and I’ll just take it slow for a couple weeks. I can feel he’s a bit less fit but I think it’ll come back quickly.

Sometimes I think it’s good for their bodies and minds to have a few weeks off anyway. My guy feels fresh and engaged which is good considering we’re stuck in the outdoor with no trails or hacking in the mud.

1 Like

We live in Ontario Canada and winter is real lol. Horses are home and zero riding in 2020 and I’ve decided not to stress about it anymore. Hubby caught COVID last March and did not get out of the hospital until 3 months later. Holding down the forte for the past almost year has made riding low on the priority list. He’s much more mobile and active now and doesn’t need a cane or walker but continues to need his leg braces. I can not afford to get injured, so the crew are pasture puffs for now.

They’re happy and fat - I get to fuss on them every day and not worry about being restricted from seeing them during our lock down periods, or, having to work around lock down periods.

Now we’re heading into March and I’m really hoping by April or May I’ll be riding again and maybe even hubby around the property. Riding 2-3 time per week is awesome!

3 Likes

Winter is just about to start here in Australia, thanks for sharing all these great tips! We’ve put together a blog on how to keep warm while riding your horse this winter that might be helpful - you can read it here

1 Like