Unlimited access >

Winter (sorry I said the word) riding attire

Oops! Broken link

Also in Ontario, and hate the cold while at the barn. I swear by my Ariat Berwick winter boots. I ended up ordering mine off Amazon as no retailers seemed to carry them last year.

Regarding winter breeches, I love my Horze thermals. They are toasty! The sizing of them is super wonky, they need to be ordered a complete size down at a minimum. I by far prefer the fit of the Horze thermals compared to the Kerrits winter breeches but thatā€™s because I prefer button and zipper waistbands over riding tights.

Then of course thereā€™s the obvious answer of layering, hats, gloves etc. Full disclosure, I board at a barn with heat so I generally only need to bundle up for the duration of my ride.

Iā€™m in the PNW so while it only goes below freezing for short periods we have a long spell of being under 5 C/40 F and wet.

I have fleece lined breeches from Kerrits, Horze, and B Vertigo. I have a whole wardrobe of base layers tops and bottoms from merino wool to grid tech fleece to microfiber. I have many wool hiking and ski socks and some synthetic sock liners that are really good at wicking and keeping your feet from getting clammy. I have multiple jackets, waterproof and insulated to different degrees, mostly from outdoor outfitters like Columbia or North Face which you can find on sale and are better price fit quality and colors than equestrian gear. I like fleece ski liner gloves with silicinr grip for riding.

I also like to bring a thermos of really hot tea to the barn, and to have tea and a snack in the middle of chores. Sometimes thatā€™s the only way to get over a chill. Also a hat when you donā€™t have a helmet on will really help.

1 Like

I wish someone still sold a Thinsulate blanket. That smartpak one was the best thing ever. So light and easy to handle as well as being warmā€¦ My old horse wore it until it was in rags.

As far as staying warm, I have a 45 minute drive home and theyā€™ve just told me it will cost the best part of $2k to fix my heated seat in my car. So, Iā€™ve learned, no cotton next to the skin. Wicking fabrics only and a next layer you can change into after youā€™ve ridden to discard the wet and sweaty one. (usually from vest to fleece pullover.)

My laundry is pretty stinkyā€¦

I have an Akaso heated vest which is AMAZING. Its warm in its own right before you even turn the heat on. The battery life is really good. The only thing I would say is supposedly it will also charge your phone but it doesnā€™t charge mine (I really donā€™t care, but it does say that it will.) I ride in Smartpaks winter breeches. Their regular pipers donā€™t fit me, but the winter ones, sized down at least one size fit pretty well and they are legit warm. The Roekle winter riding gloves are the only winter gloves I have ever been able to tolerate riding in, they are also legit warm.

I was using the Ariat Bromont winter boots and found that my feet would get too cold in them. Realized that with wool socks theyā€™re too tight in the foot, so I got a pair of treadstepā€™s with the lining one size up. They wonā€™t hold up to the amount of riding I do on a weekly basis, but they keep my feet warm walking to and from the barn and while in the car. Then I change into a pair of oversized regular tall boots. Iā€™m riding at least 2 horses a day so my feet stay plenty warm with wool socks. For my hands I have the Roekel winter gloves, but I have two pairs so Iā€™m putting on a dry pair for each horse. I either leave them in our heated bathroom or tuck them in my breeches. For a jacket I have a north face Ventrix which wicks away the sweat really well, (theyā€™ve discontinued the style I have sadly). I switch between that and one of the zero weight down jackets like from 32 below/Costco. I wear a base layer and a vest or a fleece quarter zip under the jacket. I also find that wearing a fleece scarf keeps me super warm.

Highly recommend a pair of genuine sheepskin insoles for your winter boots. Itā€™s a game changer.
Alpaca socks next. Keep your head and feet warm and you are half way there.

3 Likes

When I lived in the north (great lakes) I was a big fan of the fleece lined breeches. I swear they went on in November and didnā€™t come off until sometime in April - or so, depending. :smiley: Wore them at home, at the barn, walking dogs, everywhere. Wool socks and some layer that had a turtleneck; cold feet and neck are my downfall, even in Floridaā€™s ā€œcoldā€ weather.

3 Likes

Mountain Horse has a pair of mittens that are outstanding. I put them on after I finish tacking him up and my pinkie finger warms up in about 10 minutes. I have a couple of Mountain Horse jackets. One is more like a coat, but it covers my thighs when Iā€™m in the saddle. Ariat makes some good insulated waterproof boots. Donā€™t but any cheap Ariats, they donā€™t last. I like Wind Pro breeches. I used to ride in the morning before work. 15F was the low point for me and the horse. I have had to retire him from riding - severe lameness in the left front. We are long lining and that is going well. He has a steroid shot in the knee joint, the first one, in mid-July. He is still very comfortable.

Two safety items. YakTrax for walking and a walking stick. Itā€™s a lot easier to get around without falling.

This is almost exactly what I do! A wicking base layer, a merino wool quarter zip, a vest (Ororo heated vest when it gets cold enough), and a thick poofy coat. A long trainerā€™s coat for before and after riding when itā€™s really cold here (Jan/Feb). I wear the Under Armour 3.0 base layer under my breeches when I ride and that has been a GAME CHANGER. I wear their 4.0 base layer while in the office or at home because itā€™s just thick enough that I canā€™t zip up my boots with those on :slight_smile: Roeckl insulated winter gloves, and a helmet cover that wraps around your neck and face. If I have to stick around for a clinic or clipping I might pull on some insulated ski pants (and definitely change into dry wool socks).

One thing I donā€™t quite have figured out yet is the sock/shoe situationā€¦ I wear heavy weight wool socks usually and switch to a dry pair after I ride, but I canā€™t seem to find the sweet spot between being warm enough and sweating, which then makes my toes cold again.

Another idea. I wear my 32 Degree Weatherproof down skirt every moment outside in chilly, cold weather. Two long zippers on each side, two pockets. Weighs an ounce. You can even turn it and ride in it.

I have two of them.

Iā€™m 140 and 5ā€™6" and a LARGE fits comfy over jeans or breeches.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=32+degrees+weatherproof+down+skirt&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=32+degrees+down+skirt&_osacat=0

So I think Iā€™ve perfected my winter outfit.

Top-
First layer - Costco brand thermals
Second layer - Lands End turtleneck
Third Layer - fleece zip up if really cold or vest
Fourth Layer - LL Bean light weight Winter Coat
Hat - Columbia Omni heat hat

Bottom-
First layer -Costco brand thermals
Second layer - Full seat Breeches
Third Layer - cheap snow pants off Amazon. Order up a size

Socks - Costco fleece lined winter wool socks
Boots - one size too large paddock boots when riding or muck boots during chores

Gloves - silk liners under deerskin gloves or winter running gloves from Amazon

I can easy remove layers as I heat up and ride then get off and add them back.

I run extremely cold and this has been working for me doing chores at 20*F at night and riding.

For feet. Wool socks, but I also have these synthetic sock liners. Not sure of brand, but they wick away sweat so your toes donā€™t get damp.