Unlimited access >

Wondering if I should stick with this situation or move on

We aren’t talking about a bee sting, we are talking about a known bucker being used as a lesson horse.

4 Likes

I agree they should not be in a program.
As I said a few times.

So why are we going round after round on this?

1 Like

Not for professionals with years of experience in choosing lesson horses. I have obviously been lucky to work with professionals who knew what they were doing.

3 Likes

I answered because you posted this. No sweat. I will agree to disagree (and 3 year olds aren’t in anyone’s lesson program I hope.)

3 Likes

[quote=“BrendaJane, post:20, topic:762596”]

I have about 5 years of riding under my belt throughout my lifetime, all of it on lesson horses, and have never seen a horse buck until now, let alone with me aboard.

6 Likes

update: the bucking mare has been removed from the program for the time being. Trainer is looking for a new horse. I learned this when I got to the barn last night to lesson on the big mare, and there were crazy thunderstorms so the barn manager apparently made a decision to the turn the horses out earlier than usual. So I couldn’t ride because the mare was all the way at the other end of the farm from the barn and there was no way we could get her given the weather conditions. So I had to drive home, 30min each way, ugh… So that’s another downside to this situation, that my trainer doesn’t control what goes on at the barn and stuff like this happens. Anyway, I’m hoping she’s successful finding another horse but I’m thinking it’s not going to be easy.

you might need to find a different program.
I mean I live in chaos, but I don’t run a business…

4 Likes

Horses are inherently dangerous however a lesson horse should be trying his or her best to keep their rider on. That doesn’t mean not occasionally stopping at a fence or a crow hop etc.
but a horse who is known as a bucker or routinely ditching his or her riders is not a suitable lesson horse.
You don’t sign up to ride the hide off a jerk of a lesson horse when you pay for a lesson.
I would be shopping around. :blush:

6 Likes

Do find a lesson program somewhere else. What you are experiencing is not OK, no matter how many excuses anyone makes for a bucking lesson horse (whether in the barn where you take lessons or on this forum) it’s not OK.

4 Likes