Unlimited access >

Working off lessons?

Can you talk to your old trainer? It sounds like she gave you some nice opportunities and could put in a good word. I would ask her if she has suggestions.

If she doesn’t I would start as a once a week lessoner to get back in shape and find a barn and program you like. Then put together a resume with some references from your old trainer and people who know you’re riding level and send it out to barns in the area as well as talking to the trainer you will have been taking lessons with.

I agree that a part time job somewhere else might be the way to go, but in the mean time while you’re getting fit again it can’t hurt to try.

Just a few more thoughts - if there are a lot of ammies at your barn, definitely talk to them and offer your help. A lot of them may be working and not able to get out to the barn often enough during the week, so they may need someone to exercise their horse for free.

A LOT of opportunities come from getting close to the owners and riders in your barn. My barn is a lesson package barn, and I’ve been lucky enough on a few occasions to actually have a few owners GIVE me their lesson (we have lesson packages plus pro rides - they’re not interchangeable, as my last barn was!). The horse world can be incredibly kind and giving if you pitch in and help, and overall show your worth!

Give it a few months! Work hard and spend time at the barn pitching in and helping out. The poster who mentioned helping tacking up, etc with beginners is right on the money!

I would pursue all options until you are more familiar with the area and the barns. Is there a part time job you could get outside the horse industry that would provide some income and help you build your resume?

I’ve heard a lot of people talk about working off board/lessons/rides/etc, but getting shafted down the road. Working, but not getting all the lessons they “worked” for, or not getting the right amount of lesson time (1/2 hour instead of 1 hour), that sort of thing. There are plenty of positive stories as well, but I think you have to be careful.