Unlimited access >

Resolved

Resolved, thank you!

What kind of running around was he doing?
Totally freaked out or I am silly? Did you hang out and see if the running stopped?

I don’t know too many horses who do not run around from time to time, even when they have no good reason for it.

3 Likes

Resolved

1 Like

Hard to say because it sounds like you weren’t able to watch him for long. But, horses do play and do like to run. My two boys, for example, seem to have decided that playtime occurs between 2pm and 4pm everyday. It only last for a few minutes, perhaps 15 or so, but at some point during that time they will be running around like you wouldn’t believe. (always fun to look out from the office at the Exact moment the long yearling wipes out completely on a turn…)
The older pony mare on the other hand would rather she was in a different paddock during the games, thank you very much. And I will oblige as much as I can.
So, it really depends on the duration of the running. A few zoomies and then they settle back down? No problem. Mindless back and forth on a section of fence? Something might be bugging them.

3 Likes

Does he know your car? I had a horse that when he was outside I would have to hide until I wanted to bring him in. If he saw me or knew there was a chance to come in, he would just start running in his paddock. It was a bit of a nightmare but he was the best horse I’ve ever had.

6 Likes

When my mare was out on her regular fall field vacation with a small herd of OTTB, they apparently did fitness sprints around the field several times a day. She came home very fit. A healthy horse does love to go for a big gallop. Usually it’s over in ten minutes. They can see much better than humans in the dark and they learn the footing quickly. I’d be worried about fence pacing or anxiety behaviour but a good hootenanny run and buck is really healthy for them.

5 Likes

My OTTB mares are outside 24/7 and have a good gallop/buck/fart/rear session almost every day. Things get especially crazy when it’s windy or their blankets go on/off (lol why?). I wouldn’t worry too much, as long as your horse didn’t seem panicked or upset or anything.

3 Likes

Resolved

1 Like

Horses run around when they’re turned out. Don’t worry about it. Since you did not mention it, I expect that the footing in his turnout is safe.

If you can’t help yourself from worrying ask the staff to check him in the morning for dried sweat. Most horses won’t run themselves into a lather in the winter.
Horses really can’t be watched 24hrs a day and it is their nature to run around. It’s what they do. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Yeah remember that horses don’t go to bed at night and sleep - they eat and interact. In fact they often do more real sleeping during the day. Here when the sun comes up and it gets warm you’ll see several flat out asleep while others stand guard. And I’ve been out at night and seen all sorts of behaviors after dark.

Part of the reason we turn them out is so they’ll… run around and be horses! So relax and congratulate yourself for giving your horse a fantastic herd lifestyle. :100:

6 Likes

I agree with @Xanthoria. Don’t worry. He’s being a horse. They enjoy their gallop.
It’s fine to be concerned about your horse, but if there is no problem other than you’ve seen him have a gallop around, there’s no need to hunt trouble.

1 Like

But even if they lived on site - how would the owners know something had happened at 3am? I doubt my horses would wake me up unless they were all galloping in circles and whinnying. I can’t even imagine a situation that would cause that kind of behavior.

While accidents can happen anywhere (inside and out), you need to remember that horses are animals, and animals live outside. They have great night vision, are pretty darn capable of defending themselves, and occasionally like to have a little gallop.

My guess is that he heard your car and thought treats might be a possibility.

5 Likes

I have observed sunset running to be a thing with some horses, even those that are old and have lived out 24/7 for most of their lives. I have no explanation for it, nor for why some do and some can’t seem to be bothered.

It was enough of a thing at my old barn that when hacking out around sunset, I’d let any rider of a new horse who hadn’t experienced it know that the field we would ride by, the one with all the antique broodmares would be getting a little exciting in a few minutes.

So, if you think your horse was not running from distress, put it down to sunset sillies.

2 Likes

If you are really worried, you could ask the BO if you could set up a night vision trail cam for a few nights to see what he’s up to overnight. The cameras don’t have a huge field of vision at night so you’d be best to set it up mid-field rather than at the gate. I’ve used one of these to monitor water consumption in a group turnout.

2 Likes

Your horse is turned out at night, but there is no one there, and you feel guilty about going by the barn at night? Maybe finding a different boarding stable is in order.

At least you don’t have the added worry of him being trapped in a barn fire at night.

Be thankful for that, and that he gets to run and be a horse.

Do you walk his turnout space regularly to check for hazards?

When I was working with horse, every single agisted horse would know their owners car when it started coming up the driveway. Even the ones whose owners only came on the weekend.

1 Like

If the footing in the paddock is good then he should be alright. It’s hard to say without watching for an extended period of time but he might’ve gotten excited about something. Also, my horse has always been able to tell that I’m here from the specific sound of my car pulling in/parking as well as me getting out/walking so that might also be the case.

I wouldn’t worry about horses being horses - they’re meant to be outside in a herd. However, if you’re paying extra for a private paddock and you’re not getting that, I’d have some words.

StG

I’ve always had horses on 24 hour turnout, and they can see just fine when it’s dark. They can even see just fine at night when wearing a flymask. I would be no more worried about accidents than I would during daylight hours. I have often called for my horses late at night and had them gallop flat out to me, sometimes in paddocks up to 30-40 acres or so. Horses learn the terrain of the paddocks, and learn where they need to be careful about obstacles etc.

I’ve witnessed horses being wary of things like foxes that were quite a distance away during the night. Things that I had no hope of seeing.

I only worry about them when turning them out into unfamiliar paddocks, and always turn them out into a new paddock during the morning, to give them time to work things out.