Unlimited access >

Worth buying a fancy martingale (Edgewood, etc.)?

That is not the case in the US, a standing martingale is often (not always) just standard equipment in the hunter divisions whether the horse needs it or not, and the judges don’t penalize a horse for wearing one nor do they give extra points for going without. Running martingales are not allowed in the hunters in the US.

I am assuming the OP was referring to showing in the hunters but I could be wrong about that.

2 Likes

Actually, they are allowed by the letter of the rule, but nobody does it.

USEF Rule:
“Martingales of any type are prohibited in Under Saddle, hack and tie-breaking classes. Standing and running martingales used in the conventional manner are allowed for all over fences classes. All other martingales are considered illegal. A judge must eliminate a horse or pony that competes in a martingale other than a standing or running
martingale used in the conventional manner.”

1 Like

OP here, yes, I mean standing martingales in hunter classes. Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification I had no idea running martingales were allowed in the hunters.

I bought some Prestige brand rubber reins with raised fancy stitched fronts, a couple years ago, for a little more money than the lower end Smart Pak ones that broke.

Was shocked at how nice they are. Nice leather and quality.

Maybe find a Prestige standing martingale?

Looks nice.

https://equestrianimports.com/shop/accessories/accessory-clearance-sale/prestige-leather-standing-martingale/

As someone who loves nice leather, I personally prefer to use a nicer one, but I don’t believe the judges will really notice the difference from where they are sitting. I do love the look, feel, and longevity of nicer leather, myself, though.

If there is a piece of tack that I won’t splurge on - its the martingale. I find its the most likely thing to go missing - from being loaned out, stripped before the jog etc. So, personally, I’ll splurge on other things, and not the martingale!

I’ll always remember this rule. In my very first eq class, the ride-off at the end involved a horsemanship question. After finishing the course we cantered over to the judge and he quietly asked me, “Are running martingales allowed in the hunter ring?” Without even thinking, I said “nope!” and walked off, thinking “man, what an easy question!”

Until he pinned the class, and told us that every single person got the answer wrong!

4 Likes

I recommend Dawn (or eco-friendly Dawn equivalent). Also, Murphy’s oil soap works well. It helps strip the residue and you can use as much as you want without fear for the leather at all.

3 Likes

Nope–PM me if you’d like a great looking nice quality used one