Unlimited access >

Would anyone like to help me design a future barn/house combo?

IDK if I’m not reading the drawings right, but it looks like the only entrance to the only bathroom upstairs is through the main bedroom. I would absolutely suggest an entrance to the bathroom that everyone else can use, as well.

I personally would prefer to access the downstairs mudroom directly from the aisle, not only by going through the feedroom.

1 Like

Anything related to the living area is a rough draft superimposed over the lower level. I didn’t adjust room sizes or door placements. IOW, the bathroom you’re looking at is really the mud room with just the label changed. Same for the garage/master bedroom and feed room/kitchen.

I was torn between the mudroom opening to the aisle, feed room or both and ultimately decided one less door provided more storage space and meant there was less chance of forgetting to lock the house off from the barn. I also didn’t want to go in the aisle and directly back into the feed room (or the reverse) when a majority of the time I’d need to grab feed or put away buckets anyway.

I have 2 friends with T shaped barn and house combos. My favorites of the two, the top of the T is a 4 bedroom 3 bath house one story home with amazing kitchen and pantry. I would guess it’s 80 by 40. On ‘top’ of that T along the full width of the house is a screened porch. Inside you walk through the laundry to access a tiny screened porch with a little seat for kicking off barn boots…then go through a screen door and into the barn. The base of the T is fat, maybe only 20" narrower than the house/top of the T. Roll up doors where the T is formed on both sides plus at the bottom make for light and airflow, and the 10’of depth on one side is a maybe 60’ long run in shed and on the other side covered tractor and truck parking. It’s amazing.

Can you show me a general outline of what you mean? I’m having a hard time picturing it.

The top bar of the T is a house. The other bar is the barn.

Long ago this one fellow that had cutting horses but was a contractor not a horse trainer and hired trainers to run his horse operation, built a big metal structure.
Inside he built a two story mac mansion, the front a brick two story arch.
Now, who puts a brick wall inside, brick there not needed to protect from the elements?
The house’s footprint was almost 1/4 square of that big structure, but all inside, the structure walls plain metal with the rare window on it.
Our guess was the width was 150’ x 250’+ long.
The other 1/4 on that half of that space were a line of stalls with short runs outside, the rest part of a 100’ x 100’ indoor arena and the opposite side also had a long row of stalls with outside runs, wash, tack, feed room/s.
The back of that barn connected to a big round pen outside and cattle pens and they trained their cutting horses in there all day long, were very busy.
It seemed kind of dusty and dark in there, dust in the air and settling and settled on everything.
Don’t know how the house was to live in, maybe it was well protected from the barn environment.

He had some very nice horses, we were looking at some horses he had for sale, but none fit our needs.
Since he built houses for a living, I expect he knew exactly what he wanted and the inside was well appointed, but it seemed strange to find that inside a barn, before barn-dominions became popular.
At that time, some built a house and a barn attached, but not in a barn.

Guess I should have been more specific. LOL Do you have a general idea of how the rooms were laid out/connected to the barn? One of my designs has sort of a courtyard (or dog yard?) between the house and barn but it seem odd.

PM me an email address and I’ll send you a sketch :slight_smile:

COTH is featuring a small horse property near me in the real estate spotlight. I’ve never been there but know of it as a decent lesson program. If only I had a few extra million lying around.

:scream:
I am in the wrong zipcode.
My “bucolic” 5ac w/house, barn & indoor does not have now, nor will it ever appraise for that many zeroes!

Nor does my house resemble that manse, or even the LQ over the barn - not by a looooongshot! :laughing:

I am having a problem imagining where the 9 “permitted” horses have any access to pasture.
Add in the paddocks w/shelters & is there even any of the 5.4ac that can be used as pasture?

1 Like

The DC market is INSANE. I know someone looking right now, and it’s truly obscene! This’ll probably sell well over asking with multiple offers, even despite the high price and very niche market of a horse property!

There are more pictures of the barn/apartment on real estate sites. It’s adequate, to say the least. LOL

I looked into lessons for my daughter a couple years ago and there was a strange requirement that you had to carpool with others in your group. Speaking after the fact with parents of kids who were lessoning there, it turns out the neighbors were not happy with so many cars coming and going throughout the day so that’s how they got around it. Otherwise, Great Falls is pretty horse friendly but maybe you can see why I’m considering different parts of the world to set up shop.

ETA: The main house on 1 acre could be split from the rest and they’d both sell for over 2.5 million right now.

Depending on what you want I looked at a very cool house/barn combo a couple weekends ago. All one level, none of those annoying stairs (at least I find them annoying). Very functional, really cool floor plan and barn area. It was total under roof around 3000 sq ft, 1500 sq living area, other was stalls, tack room, feed room, garage. Stalls were had a breezeway to get to so, in theory, on a rainy day you wouldn’t “have” to get too wet doing chores. I took lots of pictures so that I could use them one day when I’m ready to build/buy a farm again.