Unlimited access >

Would my warmblood fit in this stall?

Absolutely this. I boarded at a barn with very big stalls - I’ve never seen so many stallwalkers, cribbers, woodchewers, and colics in my life. The stalls were dark with no windows, wood from floor to ceiling except the fronts. Minimal turnout, minimal hay.

My current boarding barn has pretty small stalls. Not a single cribber or stallwalker, and horses gladly come in and out during feed time. Some have to be lead back out because they’d rather stay in, LOL. Stalls are open and airy with the top half on all sides being grates so they can see and touch their neighbors. Plenty of turnout. Decent amount of hay, and boarders can supplement their own hay too if they want.

1 Like

Since your horse will have tons of turnout it will be fine.

Not sidetracking, but while the conversation here is about stall size, what about stall size with runs attached to the stalls, would that make a difference?
If the stall is 12’ wide, does 12’ wide runs is wide enough?

We are making the stalls 16’ x 14’ because we have 14’ inside from front to back by the alley, but the 12’ width in runs seems too tight, why we decided to maybe go to 16’ wide stalls, to have 16’ wide runs.

Any experience with the difference of 12’ or 16’ width for runs off stalls?

For my horse, no, 12’ wide run is not big enough and why he doesn’t get to use his run! It’s long, so he thinks he can buck and play until he tries bucking in the short direction and sticks his legs through the fence. But he’s kind of speshul, and if I were building him an attached paddock, he’d need a double sized door to walk out (he tried taking a chunk off a hip with the regular door), and then at minimum 24’ wide paddock with no shared fencing with neighbors. Even hot fencing is too tempting for him to play bitey face over top.

Thank you for your answer, it sure helps.