Unlimited access >

Would you get a pet that looks similar to one you lost?

I say go get the cat. If that specific cat speaks to you, then it’s a match in my book.

I have always wondered, in an amused way, about breeders whose breeds are fairly…straightforward and similar. Like Schipperkes. If you’ve got, say, five Schipperkes, and they are all bouncy black balls of fluff with bright eyes, do you get them confused? What about breeders of Akbash or Pyrs or Newfoundlands or black GSDs?

2 Likes

Have I done it? No. Would I do it? Sure.

I’m on my 4th and 5th dogs and it turns out they’re all different mutt styles. I’ve always had two at a time. The first two were black, the third (replacing #1) was orange, the 4th is very dark brown and the 5th is black and tan. When I was shopping for my 3rd dog, I was actively hoping for a color other than black, just for some variety. The fourth and fifth were just the ones that worked out at the right time. I’m still on my first set of barn cats, so none have been replaced yet.

1 Like

I didn’t set out to do it, but I ended up with a cat that looks a lot like my dear departed Lucycat. They described her as an “opinionated talker” and I applied to adopt her based on that and a grainy picture. My mom jokes that Lucy crossed the bridge and came back as Masha ready to wreak havoc, lol.
The top picture is Masha, bottom Lucy

10 Likes

About six months after my beagle died I was in touch with a beagle breeder about a dog that had been returned to her for behavioural problems. I was up for the challenge but then she sent me a photo. He was a spitting image of the last guy and my heart broke. I explained why I couldn’t do it and the breeder was understanding. Maybe if I had met the dog and gotten to know his personality it would have been different. I went on to get a beagle that looks much different and I do like that I can clearly tell the difference in photos, dreams, etc.

3 Likes

I have noticed that when I buy a horse, they all tend to be very similar in type. I think I’m buying the best horse for the job required and, as I have a view on what makes that horse suitable, they all end up a similar type. Maybe we are applying that unconscious bias to all our pets?

1 Like

When my last GSD passed, the first 200 dogs I admired online all reminded me of her. Once I realized this I tried to open my mind to dogs not so similar to her. And the one I finally got at the shelter looks nothing like my old gal- totally different- same breed.

OP, did you go and look at the kitty? Perhaps the best way to answer your questions, is to go and have a look.

To answer your question, I absolutely would! And sort of did that with my current dog. After having 2 lhasa mixes, I did find a Lhasa after my last one passed away. I love the look, but was drawn to the personality type (due to an apparent flaw in my own! :joy:)

Prior to my two tabby girls, I’d thought that I would love a bold calico and a tuxedo, similar to cats from my childhood. I know that their personalities would be different but the visual similarities remind me of fond memories of great cats.

The one that I probably wouldn’t pursue, without a ton of due diligence, would be another rottie. Mine was the best dog ever and I’d think her gentle nature and disposition might be hard to find. But at this point, I also don’t have room in the Inn for anything else that needs to be fed! :joy:

1 Like

Update: When I spoke to the rescue they did not want to let me foster him. They put him in the adoption room. I decided against going to look at him. I did not want to get a cat without fostering first.

Instead I took home 3 baby kittens as fosters. They look nothing like my prior cats. They are super sweet. Came with the names Pops (the boy), Margaret (darker face), and Eileen (the grey tabby). I probably won’t keep all three. Debating on who I like the most. Pops is a big purrer. Margaret is a snuggler (but very hissy when she sees something she doesn’t like), and Eileen is sweet and gentle.

I’m thinking I might keep Pops, but not sure yet. They have not been exposed to dogs and are quite terrified by my very sweet dogs. I may have to plan on a very slow introduction. They hide under the dresser and stare out when the dogs come in. These are probably the healthiest kittens I have ever had. Only Eileen is on eye drops.

Anyone have good name suggestions? They are all about 2 lbs, except the boy who is closer to 3 lbs.

4 Likes

Moxie and Tater?

OMG, this is why I cannot foster . . . I would keep all three of those adorable faces! The grey tabby looks so much like my old Rascal.

My naming skills suck these days . . . Prada, Gucci, and Versace? :slight_smile: Alexander, Angelica, and Eliza? Cutie 1, 2, and 3?

Congratulations!! You will be amazed at how much their personalities blossom in the next 7-10 days. I love fostering multiples because the confident one will be the brave leader, the cuddly one will make the others more curious about pets, etc. It really sets them up for success. For dog introductions I love using a puppy gate with kittens in a bathroom or small space. This lets them see the dog without being able to bolt under a dresser or bed. Doing it at meal time is even better because it creates a positive association and there is a strong distraction. At this age it is nearly impossible for them to not end up dog friendly with slow positive exposure. Before you know it you’ll be rescuing your dog from having kittens scaling legs or chasing tails.

• Holly, Juniper, Aspen
  • Sage, Willow, Basil

My first dog Scruffy was a Cairn, tan with black (stand up) ears. When he died, I went to a Cairn rescue and wanted to adopt a lighter colored boy. The lady didn’t call me back and I was like WTH, then she said the previous owner (who gave up the dog because she was pregnant, how dumb!) decided she wanted him back after all. Broke my heart all over again. Then I went to a shelter, wasn’t too interested in any of the dogs…til I saw the “must stay together” pair of a Chi mix and a Lhasa–who was tan with black (floppy) ears. My brother always called Lucky “Scruffy junior” but their personalities were so different. Scruffy loved to kill squeaky toys and play fetch; Lucky didn’t seem to know what toys were. Lucky also had a magnificent extended trot.

Now I’m on my first black (blue?) dog who may be a Lhasa mix. Also has a cute trot.

1 Like

Wynken, Blynken and Nod. :grin:

4 Likes