Unlimited access >

WWYD horse shopping advice

I have no problem with you getting on your soap box and I trust your judgment/ advice to be nothing but accurate. I tend to take risks so maybe I should heed your advice myself :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I do worry that I’m going to spend $$$$ on imaging and find something horrible. He’s certainly spendy enough to be thorough, but enough of a good thing to risk it

2 Likes

Add me to the crew advocating for the schoolmaster. Your skills will advance so much faster with him than with Horse number one. Totally worth it. Plus, for the karma factor, the fact that you can retire him instead of sending him down a spiraling path to God-only-knows-what will get you into Valhalla

5 Likes

Absolutely horse #2. I bought a similar horse myself, and I will echo what others have said throughout this thread already about how special these types are - he is worth his weight in gold, I would buy him a million times over, and he has taught me so much and increased my confidence immeasurably.

3 Likes

30 years into horse ownership and have never regretted buying horse #2.

1 Like

Over 50 years of horse ownership and I have seriously regretted buying many versions of horse #1 thinking it would be different this time…have the scars to mind and body to prove it.

Also learned to manage age related issues in higher mileage horses. Trick is to know and understand said issues not expect a pristine PPE.

14 Likes

So remember- if you find something, this is where your history YOU have found on the horse, his current job etc and a trusted vet come into play.

I bought a horse that had “findings” on a PPE. He was jumping higher than I would ever want to go. He needs maintance. So people would see his PPE and walk away. My vet did a PPE and said along the lines of - no one has a crystal ball but he is currently doing XYZ and sound. We can manage this.

3 Likes

Horse 2 sounds like a dream!

Horse #2 has been around a bit so if I google him I can find some videos. Just found a video of him schooling with a junior or ammy, and chipping so hard at maybe 1.30m or 1.40m and just bopping right over no questions asked.
In terms of soundness, I could also learn lots jumping cavaletti on him mostly and then here or there jumping up. He could stay sound enough for quite some time

5 Likes

You sound like you’re convincing yourself of all the reasons #2 is the right one. You have not once talked about #1 beyond your initial post.

I think you want #2, you know you want #2, and you want that choice affirmed. Well you’re getting it! You’re in a lucky position where I truly don’t think you have a wrong choice. Sure, #2 could vet badly and then you’re out $$. But young horses vet badly all the time. Losing money on a PPE is a causality of doing a PPE.

Good luck, fingers crossed it all works out, and update with pics if it does!

18 Likes

@Rel6 great point. Sometimes the hive mind can help shake that kind of thing out :laughing:

3 Likes

No contest at all for me #2.

1 Like

I was in a very similar position as you, and bought horse #1. First horse purchase ever for me, and I was looking for something to bring me from from the .80’s to 1.0+ over a year or two. Ended up buying a 6 year old that was doing the 1.10s inconsistently with its owner, who wanted a schoolmaster for herself to do the bigger stuff. Ended up with a horse that is obviously still a baby, but has the absolute BEST brain, and is so tolerant and forgiving of my ammy mistakes. He has enough experience to get me to the 1.0s, and I have a very competent trainer who does 1-2 rides on him a week to keep furthering his education. I’m sure a schoolmaster would be progressing me faster, but I’m happy with my current progression, and love the prospect of growing together with this horse. I personally enjoy the ‘process’ just as much as, if not more than, the rewards of showing. We’ve been to a few shows together, but have been sticking to 2’6/.85s this season to get to know each other. If I was more interested in getting into the show ring, jumping higher and winning SOON, I would’ve gone with #2.

ETA: The main reason I am 100% confident I chose the right horse- every video/ picture I see of me riding him, I am grinning and obviously having a blast. Every lesson is rewarding, educational and fun. I’m able to challenge myself plenty, while feeling safe, and developing a partner for life.

10 Likes

If you don’t want him, I do.

12 Likes

2 sounds a little too good to be true-is it mainly his age that makes you hesitant, or the higher price tag?

What is the difference in breeding/build of the two horses? Have they been in good programs?

1 Like

“ I do worry that I’m going to spend $$$$ on imaging and find something horrible. He’s certainly spendy enough to be thorough, but enough of a good thing to risk it”

A 15 yr old jumper will not have perfect rads. The reason to do them anyway is to discover something that could stop his schoolmaster career in the next week, month or year. There’s a huge difference between some crunchy hocks and kissing spines or ugly neck rads. Get the seller to release vet records to you as well - one person’s light maintenance is another person’s Hail Mary protocol…

FWIW I bought a horse sold to me as a 12 yr old WB x schoolmaster. I did a big ol’ PPE. The vet forgot to check his teeth… he was a 19 yr old TB. We had ONE run in eventing and he retired with navicular after that and died at 21. I was both furious at the vet and seller (did not let it go - went to court, won) and yet knew that that one run changed my world.

Buy the schoolmaster but use a vet you know and TRUST and send the rads out to a radiologist for an impartial opinion so you don’t end up with a very short bittersweet time with a 15 yr old who could be getting ready to enjoy 10 years of retirement on your dime.

7 Likes

He is almost double the price but still a steal and they’re motivated to sell. That makes me a little nervous. Sometimes things just are too good to be true, but sometimes you get lucky at the right place at the right time. We have a vet we know and have used in that area and can get a second opinion. We’ve also bought horses from this barn before. My main hesitation is actually that horse 1 is so awesome that I can’t wrap my head around passing on him. Horse #2 is also bigger than I like, but he’s slab sided enough that I feel like I have plenty of leg.

3 Likes

They’ve both been in good programs their whole lives and both have some dressage. Horse #1 is a CWB, not fancy, average mover, but good at his job and so willing. Horse #2 is KWPN and comes from big fancy jumper bloodlines and moves like a big fancy boy

2 Likes

I bought my own horse #2 last year about this time. He’s changed my life and my riding tremendously. Do it.

Mine is 1.30m horse brought along by an amateur in Europe, 14 years old. My vet’s comments on the X-rays were: “These look very good for the job he’s been doing,” and that was good enough for me. Still will canter down to a 1.40m oxer at home like it’s the best day of his life. He has a home with me forever.

9 Likes

Why did I assume they were both TB mares?

Lol

4 Likes