Unlimited access >

X-Post NYTimes Article: Black Equestrians Want to Be Safe. But They Can’t Find Helmets

:rofl: You are much more confident in them than I am.

PR isn’t really a strength of the equestrian industry.

I totally agree that an apology or correction is the appropriate action I would expect to see. But given that they spoke with Mr. Politically Correct at least twice already, I’m not holding my breath.

5 Likes

My next question would be how many people will see it compared to the number of people who saw the original quote in the Times article.

1 Like

@MHM @Texarkana

They spoke to him twice? I missed that. I was reading it as quickly as possible before the site realized my VPN had tricked it :upside_down_face:

I hope that BOT has the intelligence to release a statement… but I do agree, damage is already done. Calling traditional hairstyles ’oddities’ is something I’d expect to hear from the 1950’s, not 2023. And people read that and think, I’m an oddity because I’m not white with pin straight hair?

3 Likes

@StormyDay sure did! Check the part I bolded:

But the riders’ concerns have yet to reach Back on Track, a market leader that makes equestrian products, including helmets in a variety of shapes and sizes, with removable liners. In an interview, James Ruder, the chief executive, said the company’s helmets can accommodate most riders. He added that he had “never once heard” about a Black rider struggling with helmet fit.

“If you have an ‘oddity’ — and I don’t mean to be disrespectful to the people who have weird hairstyles — but if you have a hairstyle that impacts the functionality of the helmet, you might just have to change it,” Mr. Ruder said.

In a follow-up interview, Mr. Ruder stood by his view that riders need to be aware that their hairstyle choices can affect helmet safety, and added that he intended no offense with his comments. “I’m bald, and some people find that weird,” he said. “It’s all relative.”

Also, here’s my belief:

No, helmet makers don’t have to take into account every possible hairstyle. There is a degree of responsibility on the part of the rider to wear their hair in a way that fits into a helmet.

But at the same time, there are reasons why black hair is worn in certain styles. This isn’t a one off thing, and definitely not an “oddity” (looking at you, Mr. Ruder). To be completely dismissive of that fact is grossly insensitive.

17 Likes

I read somewhere that a lot of endurance riders wear mountain biking helmets because they are more comfortable/vented. I wonder how mountain bikers accommodate dreds or extra thick hair?

I also read an interesting article about the “Tough Turban” aimed at Sikh motorcyclists. https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/tough-turban.

Certainly, it’s a conundrum because it’s going to be hard to create a helmet that protects your brain with enough space to contain a variety of hair styles. I mean, we’re all still arguing about whether it’s safe to put long hair up under a helmet.

4 Likes

Noooo…. As someone who’s done some PR work I’m internally screaming. That’s just so bad. I missed the ‘follow up interview’ bit.

3 Likes

There are ways to say “we wish we had helmets that worked with all hair types but due to time and financial restraints we have a more limited subset of options. We hear the message and will work towards a broader and more inclusive line of products.”

I mean, that’s what the other brands interviewed said!

What BOT said was NOT the way.

Having textured hair is not an “oddity.”

Presumably the BOT rep was told the article was about racial inclusivity in riding. So how was it not obvious that the answer given was somewhere on the spectrum between unhelpfully tone deaf and just plain racist? It’s not like they stopped him on the street with no context and asked him his opinion on dreadlocks. I’m shocked someone in his position couldn’t get a better statement through his brain and out of his mouth.

12 Likes

Trauma Void is under their umbrella iirc

2 Likes

And unfortunately the safety conclusion is that it ISN’T safe to put hair up. It’s a complicated issue for manufacturers, not helped by the likes of Mr. Ruben and his crass statements. There is an element of truth in it, but it couldn’t be worse presented.

Another safety concern I would have is that things like beaded styles may cause pressure points that might render helmets less effective by damaging the foam in an impact. There would need to be studies done before a company could say that is safe.

9 Likes

Ahh. Thanks.

1 Like

Wow, imagine how bad that answer might have been!

1 Like

They just released the findings a few months ago on that big helmet study at Virginia Tech, or wherever it was. I don’t know if part of that involved things like hairstyles under the helmet.

The helmet companies have been telling us for a decade+ that putting our hair up is less safe and we shouldn’t do it. It shocks me that it is still on trend for anyone.

In dressage, where I am now competing, we don’t put hair up but do a low bun. If I go back to HJ I will keep it. Safety first. But it is troubling that option isn’t available to some.

But it would be really hard to even design a helmet that seems like it would inherently be less safe…those headlines aren’t great either. “Equestrian helmet companies sell helmets that are less safe to black equestrians“…that doesn’t look good! I absolutely think an effort should be made to accommodate all hair types, but at the end of the day the safest helmet will be one that is closely fitted to your head sans hair considerations, whether it is a style, dreads, beads, or your ponytail flipped up.

Not sure what the solution is here.

16 Likes

I think that there was something in the VT report or webinar or Q&A that indicated, contrary to previous reporting, at least some hair up under helmet might be OK, or even slightly beneficial in some cases as it may provide a slip plane. But, of course, I can’t find it.

11 Likes

Emily quoted Dr Miller’s comments on hunter hair in a post on this thread. Announcement of Helmet Study Result Release Date

4 Likes

Yeah, essentially we need more research. Hair up vs down may make no difference, which is contrary to what we have been being told the past few years.

1 Like

Yes, there have been several podcasts now that have spoken to experts in the study and referenced hair as being an additional “slip plane” that may provide some benefit to overall helmet study. Sort of like a built in MIPS system.

5 Likes

Back On Track’s James Ruder has published a statement regarding the article that reads:

My comment was as follows: “Back on Track provides helmets for all shapes of heads; hair is an extension of the head and must be taken into consideration for proper fit to ensure proper safety. Our helmets fit those with Afros and dreadlocks that are quite common.” I went on to say; “My daughter, who was forced to wear a bun on top of her head for dance, or someone that has a Mohawk cut where all the hair is down the middle of the scalp, or some other odd or weird hairstyle; that person might have to make a choice between hairstyle and helmet fit and safety.” I also went on to talk about our complete helmet line designed for round, oblong, or head shapes somewhere in the middle as well as the variable size liners available to help a helmet fit properly. None of this helpful information was printed.

I have spoken to the New York Times editor and expressed my disappointment in the whole article and in particular, the out of context, and misrepresentation of my comments.

5 Likes

Dear god he’s a disaster :joy:. The NYT, if what he said is true, is at fault some what but dang apologize and shut up! Even his examples don’t exactly relate.

2 Likes