Unlimited access >

X-rays, how concerned would you be? Update post #28

I guess for me it’s very much chicken and egg.

When she did the lameness check we of course discussed the blocking, but for me, if we blocked we are still going to run the same films so at that stage I didn’t feel it would gain anything. After the consults over the films, maybe we would want to block in the future. Shrugs, you make the best choices you can at the time. Lol, from the safety of a mounting block, far away from the action as I had Covid at the time, and had to get clearance from all parties to be there,

1 Like

But if he didn’t block out at the level of the hoof you may or may not have take those films and you would have looked higher up the leg until you found the source of the lameness.

His feet can be a disaster and his primary issue could be a front suspensory or arthritis in his knees or or or. And you just don’t know if you are addresssing the cause of the lameness with your approach.

I think it’s fair to work on his feet and see where you end up but that is different from saying that it would not be worth blocking. You may get his feet in better shape and then have to go back and block anyway.

10 Likes

Fair enough, but when my vet says she is sure it’s below the knee, I tend to trust her.

Need to try and address the feet first, while I catch up on my vet bills, then see where we are.

1 Like

Of course, I don’t know your situation and we all make the best choices we can, with the information we have.

My thought process runs more towards: if we block the lameness we’ve identified the lameness. In that situation, I may then only do balance films (two shots of each foot) of the feet to help the farrier, then put the rest of my money and time to imaging the source of the lameness.

4 Likes

I just wish we could code them like we do with the vehicles. Run a scan, and it tells you where the adult lies.

ETA: where the adult lies? WTF?

Where the problem lies, how on earth did that become adult?

4 Likes

Being an adult is a problem for me :joy:

4 Likes

:joy:

It’s Monday. Sadly I do Monday things 7 days a week now. Lol

1 Like

Well, after much angst, eventually my vet and farrier had a joint consult…what a great idea. The boy ended up getting a radical new trim, taking his toes way back, and sitting up him up different.

2 days later I rode him, he felt sound, but I had no horse under me, had to push for every thing, but didn’t push hard. Since then he has had his saddle refitted and YIPPEE I was right, I had taken the shims we originally out, because he and his saddle now are a good fit.

He touch wood,throw salt, sacrifice a virgin or 4, has not been lame since, he is just going better and better. I still don’t quite believe it, but there it is.

13 Likes