Unlimited access >

Yet another trailer question-axles

Looking at a 2006 Hawk. Has not had yearly maintenance done. Owner says it was given a once-over by a shop when purchased a year ago and was told axle(s) would need to be replaced for longer trips due to rust. My regular shop is 6+ weeks out for service and said it’s a risk to purchase.

My options: pass, make a lowball offer assuming I need to replace axles, offer deposit to hold trailer until I can have it inspected (so far at least 2 weeks).

Are axles a normal thing to replace on a used trailer? I am obviously aware of checking electric, floor, bearings, brakes, tires etc. but a bad axle/axles is a new one. Any thoughts?

NOT normal - if you jump a curb loaded and bend an axle that is one thing - to have to replace due to rust for long trips is another, and why not short trips too!
if you get photos of the axle mounting brackets and frame underneatch to see what you can see /
( email them to me with the VIN if you want - horsetrailerlady @ gmail .com )
OR contact the factory with your photos for their opinion
Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers.com
BalancedRideTrailers.com

4 Likes

If the axles are rusted out, what else is?

Not normal.

Axles can go bad & rust like any other wear & tear piece on a trailer. They can be replaced but I would definitely factor the estimate for replacement into the price I’d pay for that trailer. And definitely check the rest of the frame for rust! I would guess that the frame is rusted at the axles so that would be repaired at the same time as the axle.

Thanks. The frame rusting at the axles sounds terrifying…I don’t know how I could trust that the rest of it won’t rust out?

The trailer has no service or maintenance records, was not used really by the current owner but she didn’t get any records from previous owner. So I have no idea how it was maintained, if at all. It has definitely been used a lot.

Pass.

I would also pass. I know trailers are in short supply these days, but that just sounds like too big a risk.

Thanks all–I did decide to pass. I’m not in such a rush that I need to take that much of a risk.