Unlimited access >

You can only have 10 items in your equine first aid kit. What do you pack?

Slightly off topic: I used to keep suture packet in my trailer-- the only time in 55 years of trailer ownership I ever needed it was when a member of the hunt “de gloved” his palm grabbing the lead rope of a run away horse dragging another member along a gravel road (she was tangled in one of those curled hoses as was her horse). Member with the degloved palm had a sister who rode out too. She was an MD/DVM. She asked for a needle and thread. I gave her my ancient suture kit. She told her brother not to be a baby, slapped his hand down on an over turned bucket and kneeling on the stable floor, stitched his palm back on to his hand. Rumor was ther was a pool at the hunt bar where one could place a bet on how long it would be before rider lost his entire hand to infection. He never did and still rides out with the hunt.

2 Likes

The only thing I will add that I haven’t seen mentioned is electrolyte paste. It is the most used item in my kit because of horses not drinking new water when stabled away from home.

1 Like
  1. Banamine paste
  2. SMZs tablets
  3. Dex
  4. needles + syringes (does this count as one item? lol
  5. Vet wrap
  6. Duck tape
  7. Desitin (I have used on wounds as well)
  8. Betadine scrub
  9. Thermometer
  10. Standing wraps/bandages (counting as one again, haha)

My next important items that I had a hard time leaving off, but ultimately decided I could manage without in an emergency would be bute, poultice pads (or other hoof packing), epsom salt, stethoscope, sterile gauze, and ice boots (I left off assuming we can use the hose for cold water :wink: ).