Unlimited access >

Young really green horses shying at flowers on jumps in the ring

Thank you all for your suggestions

That is surprising! Technically horses can’t see red, but maybe that’s what makes it so spooky to jump. I have noticed horses making way more effort over bright yellow jumps or jumps with yellow flowers! Yellow would be a color a horse can see very clearly. And white stripes also help a jump to be more visible. I think red just looks like a murky desaturated gray (interestingly that’s why tigers—which are such a vivid color to us—are camouflaged to prey animals that can’t make out their orange/red coloring).

1 Like

My favorite is the warmblood imports who have never seen any sort of natural fill in their lives
. Like my new 6-year-old. Luckily, he’s a good boy and is catching on super quick, but this rolltop (with fake ferns on the front side) was quite impressive the first time.

Second the rec to jump lots of flower boxes on their own. Still a great way to work on baby’s general schooling, especially straightness.

3 Likes

I’ve wondered if it’s because they can’t see it that maybe whatever color they see it as changes depending on how it’s being looked at. Or maybe it throws the depth perception off a bit.