Unlimited access >

Your scariest horse related accident or injury? Bring the pain!

I’ve always volunteered myself as tribute to ride anything rank. I enjoy the challenge. I have more than a handful of near misses. As I get older, I’m beginning to realize I’m not invincible and am a little more selective of what I’ll swing my leg over. With age comes the realism of what’s happening/what happened and the respect seems to linger a little longer now.

A few years ago I was riding my Thoroughbred in the indoor at the boarding facility I was at. He’s always been hotter than a frying pan but I was finally to a point where I could recycle his energy and put it to work. We were gearing up to go out for the season. He was cantering around quite lovely until all of a sudden he went down to his knees and flipped on top of me. He fell into a groundhog hole and flipped over. I was pinned under him and against the wall. Poor guy carefully crawled to his feet to check on mum. I probably would have had a pretty terrible head injury had I not been wearing a helmet.

A year or so later I was “gifted” a cute little grey mare. The catch was that she had a terrible work ethic. She’d been known to rear on the track to avoid being worked. She had flipped on me once, I got the wind knocked out of me but was otherwise fine. I was able to get back on her and work her through it. I decided I didn’t want to deal with it though and scheduled for my boyfriend to come out and grab some videos of her under saddle so I could move her along. I had just got on her and she was throwing a fit because her best friend was back at the barn. My boyfriend left something in his truck so he ran to grab it, leaving the gate open. She thought about rearing but realize the implications so instead she took off broncing towards the gate. It was once of those Priefert walk thru panels. I didn’t want to be clotheslined so I took my chance to dismount mid buck. I landed on my feet, but as soon as I hit the ground I heard a pop in my foot and couldn’t get up. Boyfriend refused to put me back on so he untacked her and carried me to my truck. I drove home and put myself on the couch for the night. I got up and grazed my heel on the ground and nearly feel to my knees in pain. I crawled to my truck and drove myself to the hospital. They brought the x-rays in to review and my calcaneus looked like the outline of the swiss alps. I had to wait 10 days for the swelling to go down for surgery. They put me back together with one plate and five pins. That was early October. They told me it would be a full year before I would recover well enough to be able to ride. I was back in the saddle in February. It’s not 100% but i’m not terribly limited. I’ll never run a marathon, but I wasn’t planning on it anyway. A calcaneal fracture is no joke though, I’ll rethink landing on my feet next time!

2 Likes

There was a ground hog hole IN the INDOOR?

I wish I could say I was joking. Sad part is, the BO was aware of a groundhog hole and never did anything about it - he admitted that to me after he watched me fall. Thankfully my horse wasn’t seriously injured, but it did onset some navicular changes that required injections.

The silver lining is that after my dramatic meltdown, my dear boyfriend welded together a leveling box that weekend and stripped the hole arena down and releveled it and revamped it. It kickstarted his arena business!

2 Likes

I used to ride every “puke”, as Mike Plumb called them, that anyone handed me to ride, back in the day. As a kid, I had a morgan gelding fall over backwards on me- completely intentionally- in an Amish field. I saw it coming, and wrapped my arms around his neck, and threw myself off uphill of him. He then proceeded to roll uphill over me. Ugh!

I had two rotational falls on different horses, where I got thrown over the fence going cross country, and saw the horse coming and rolled out of the way.

I had a filly sent to me that was incredibly athletic, and could really jump. Then, she backed up out of the bridle at a canter, and started leaping, and sunfishing around. We were headed for a tree, so I did a quick release dismount in the air- she hit me in the air, spun me, and I handed on the back of my neck. That was ugly. I recommended to her owner that Cowtown Rodeo might like her.

I came off a welsh pony going at a high rate of speed when I was 13, and tore up my left rotator cuff. Ouch. Showed my three gaited gelding four days later holding one hand up with the other, and won the class after a workout. Loved that horse!

And other horse related kicks and bites and bumps. I still love them more than anything, and while I do think more about getting clotheslined in the field than I used to, I am not sure what I would do without rising at o dark hundred, and caring for them rain or shine. Or snow.

1 Like

The worst was when my young mare started bucking just as I swung a leg over and slammed me into the arena wall. I remember laying on my back while I flapped my arms and legs to make sure they still worked. Fractured a vertebrae and messed up my shoulder. I was out of the saddle for 3 months after that little stunt. My trainer got on her and worked the snot out of her and I got back on on the lunge line and walked and trotted a little before taking myself off to the hospital.

Another time my husband and I were cantering down a trail that ran next to a public walking path. Horse shied just slightly at something and it was just enough to knock me off balance and as I was falling, I remember thinking “land on your side, keep you head up (no helmet)” which I did and just badly bruised my hip and shoulder. My husband brings my horse back to me and I got back on and rode the rest of the way to the trailer. People on the path had gathered around and were debating calling an aid car. Bruised for a while but not badly injured.

Then I was at a event derby and was schooling before the xc and my horse propped in front of the jump and lawn darted me over. I landed on my back and my head slammed so hard into the ground that it broke my helmet. If I hadn’t been wearing it, I would be a vegetable or dead.

I’m going to check out if this topic. If I read much more I’ll never ride again! I salute you all for your fortitude and love of horses, not to mention your remarkable healing abilities. It makes me think that something about our relationship with horses enables us to handle pain differently/ better.

Kick on all!

1 Like

If anyone wants another near-miss story to lighten this up from the more horrifying injury tales (also ouch to all of you) again, rewinding back to when I was in the last year or so I rode at the sketchy barn I grew up at. The horse I fell off of when I broke my arm (generally sweet, very much in-your-pocket personality) was the horse in this one, too.

So, the horse is in the round pen eating his feed (no longer recall why the round pen, thinking all the stalls were occupied). A LOT of the horses at this farm had come from not-so-great situations and understandably were a bit food defensive because of it and I think some of that rubbed off even on some of those who hadn’t come from bad situations (and this farm, itself, was a bad situation in its own right, in hindsight).

I had a habit at the time of grooming whatever horse I was riding while they were still eating if time was short and normally this wasn’t a problem. I go in the round pen ready to brush the horse while he’s finishing his dinner. I’m walking around him, pat him gently (or thought I did - I barely touched him so it’s possible he didn’t realize it was me/thought it was a fly/who knows). He kicks out behind him, just missing me as I somehow at the same time hop back avoiding it. Ex-instructor’s husband said that was the closest he’d seen anyone come to getting kicked without getting kicked (and this guy grew up in a horsey family that I think dealt with some local auctions and I believe he would be put up on horses in auctions growing up, so…god knows how much crazy horse stuff he’d seen).

Your mention that you didn’t break your glasses just reminded me.

When I fell off several years ago and broke my arm, I had a tiny iPod nano (the nano generation when they were small squares the size of the screenless shuffles, but with a touch screen. Like maybe an inch and a half square like the one pictured here: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHrdKnN-SatTksh5-45w-Mf-m2UKQxS5QYF3rybLN-Bt3Ur7aNRoLseO-DuueKnrml71zp1DiN&usqp=CAc) in the kangaroo pocket of my sweatshirt (kangaroo pocket, so open at either end of the pocket).

The iPod not only stayed in my sweatshirt pocket when I hit the dirt, it still worked fine afterwards and didn’t have a scratch on it.

1 Like

Haha! Now THATS lucky! Try that today with anything from Apple and it’d be a goner!

Yeah I’ve not owned anything from Apple since that iPod so don’t know how the durability has changed and unless it was the replacement one (replacement not for breaking but getting lost because the dumb thing was so small I lost one once) I got it as a birthday or Christmas present in 2011, I think. They were really great little iPods, don’t think they made the nano model for long after that model.

My worst happened to be at a horse show. I took my 4 yo to her first out of town dressage show.
She didn’t have a lot of mileage but had behaved well on the off the farm trips we had made.

Rethinking the whole thing, we should have picked a different show for that first one. Live (hopefully) and learn :pleading_face:. First strike…she didn’t really groove on the stall. She lived in a pen w/shelter at home and hadn’t been stalled much at all. Strike 2–I was a little late for AM prep and warm-up. I had been at this venue before but apparently forgot that the warm-ups were small and maybe not the best place for a green youngster. I should have been there an hour earlier and done a bunch of hand walking.

I got on, figuring I would do a lot of walk. She was very tense and every time she was passed by another horse she would spook. I found a side area where there was one steady eddy QH warming up and I asked if I could join her circle. That rider said yes and we joined her circle…going the same way. I felt that she started to relax into the trot and was just letting her chill as long as she was going forward. Well, within a breath, she slammed on the brakes and reared straight in the air. In a split second, I felt she had gone past her balance point and rather than end up under her if she went over backwards, I gave a mighty tug on the right rein and she went down on her side…only on top of my left leg instead of my pelvis or chest. I was OK…thigh was mightily bruised but no broken bones. Pony jumped up and if left alone, would have run straight to my trailer. But no, some well meaning person jumped in front of her waving his arms. She tried to stop but slipped on black top covered with some fine gravel. She slid on her side for about 12 feet then jumped up and continued back to my trailer. Well, our show was over. I had to haul her to the vet (show vet wouldn’t come to the grounds :rage:). He had to open up her chest and flush out the about 1/4 cup of gravel and sand that had embedded under the skin. She ended up with about 6 big fancy stitches in her chest and several areas of gnarly road rash.

Not to mention that when I left with her to go to the vet, my friend’s gelding (who had hauled with us) went ballistic when his Boo got hauled off. My friend somehow made it through her very tense test. He never did settle down. We thought he was going to colic so made the decision to haul home the next morning. Talk about a fiasco.

Everyone survived and healed. My goal for the rest of the summer was to actually get her into the arena which we did do :+1:. That was the only time she ever reared. Never tried before that show and although she got a bit sticky a couple times after, I was on top of it and reinforced forward.

I was 14 and had been starting colts for our riding center for about a year.
This really nice four year old arabian colt came from the breeder to be started and I was assigned to him. I loved that colt, he was super friendly, didn’t have short stiff hairs like a horse, but some kind of brown soft fuzzy down all over him, like a teddy bear stuffed toy.
He seem to like me, would not leave my side at all, didn’t need a halter or lead, but of course used one.
We had about two weeks of riding when we went on a weekend trail ride for a couple or three hours.
In one place we decided not to go down the road, but across a long loose dirt descent into the road below.
One horse at the time descended, mostly sliding on their behinds.
When it was our turn, we started down, I was careful to keep him straight down, but part way he managed to turn left on me and stumbled and started rolling down, first roll his behind right over me and I was then rolling right behind him down that steep slope until I hit a little bush that stopped me.
I got to my feet and slid the rest of the way down, where he was standing looking up at me just like everyone else was.
Horse and I were not hurt, but it sure scared those watching us, must have looked wild.
I was told to try not to scare everyone so badly again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like